SASS Wire Forum

Billings Montana - Cody Wyoming

Creeker, SASS #43022

Painted Lady's mother regularly donated to the St Labre Indian School in Ashland Montana.  In recognition of her contributions - she has a memorial brick at the school (which is her only marker of record).  Painted Lady lost her mom a number of years ago; but has not yet been able to make it to Montana to visit.

I plan on correcting this - this upcoming June of 2021.

I have already begun planning our trip; flying into Billings for a couple days and then spending another five in Cody.

I know all the big things we are supposed to see including the Buffalo Bill center of the west/ Cody firearms museum and of course, Yellowstone.

But we don't want to miss any cool or important items that maybe don't pop up on trip advisor - so I'm soliciting my Montana/ Wyoming SASS family for your input on any lesser known places that we "have" to visit, drive through, see or eat at while we are there.

I have a rental car, time and a little disposable income.

Painted Lady, Desert Scorpion and myself - we are not taking our guns - so sadly, shoots are not happening. 

But other than that; let's hear your suggestions.

The Quigley Rifle match takes place in Forsyth on Father's Day weekend. We have a shoot on the 2nd Saturday in June near Bozeman. If you show most of us could loan guns and ammo for you to use.

Dug up gun museum in Cody. About 1300 dug up relics . Won’t take long to go thru it but just pretty dang neat.  Budget at least most or all of a day or part of another for buffalo bill. Yes it’s that big and that good. 

I stopped in Cody about 15 years ago and planned on a couple hours or so at the museum... it took two full days. There are five wings, and two floors of guns alone.

Billings area - Custer battlefield, of course, about an hour and a half from Billings. Pompey's Pillar, the last remaining physical evidence along the Lewis & Clark trail of the expedition - about half an hour from Billings. The Montana Territory Peacemakers shoot on the 4th Saturday at the rod & gun club about a mile north of town.

5 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

I know all the big things we are supposed to see including the Buffalo Bill center of the west/ Cody firearms museum and of course, Yellowstone.

Probably not what you're looking for - but do not miss driving the Chief Joseph Highway out of Yellowstone.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

We got take out pizza from that place when we staid it the Oasis Motel across the bridge. 

Oasis used to be owned by friends of mine

10 minutes ago, Medicine Creek Johnny said:

Oasis used to be owned by friends of mine

Sawmill Mary loves that little town.  We've staid there several times but not in recent years.  We went through the little museam there and even looked into real estate there. 

Seen a black bear at the bridge one morning.   We had breakfast at a cafe near the bridge and there were a couple of wildlife agents in there having coffee.  We told them about seeing the bear. They were interested.  I think they captured it and relocated it.  I read latter it was recaptured in Cody. 

Best ice cream, Mo"s Cones, is in Laurel Mt just outside of Billings. flew into Billings last year on the way to Great Falls just to go there.  Stayed in Best Western downtown Billings just a couple of miles from the airport. The Bighorn Battlefield, Pompeys Pillar and the Petroglytfs Park are all great places to visit. In Cody the Best Western, not BW Plus, is a great little motel within walking distance of the museum. Great ride into Yellowstone, plan for a full day to get to old faithful and back. Have a great trip.

11 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

Probably not what you're looking for - but do not miss driving the Chief Joseph Highway out of Yellowstone.

If it's open and you are driving through Yellowstone, Beartooth pass is an awesome drive. June might be to early depending on snow. Chief Joseph Highway is beautiful. Dusty is correct, make time for Dug Up Guns too. Figure most of a day or parts of several days at the Buffalo Bill Museum. Old Trail Town in Cody is as collection of pioneer buildings, wagons and tons of guns. Bring binoculars for Yellowstone.

Stay at the Irma in Cody. We had the “Buffalo Bill” suite. 

49 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Stay at the Irma in Cody. We had the “Buffalo Bill” suite. 

Long story. Youngest son got a job above Gardener with a hunting guide service.  I rode out with him and fly back.  As he had most of a week to kill before he started,  we drove around Yellowstone area. We ended up one day in Cody.   We needed a room for the night.  We past the Irma Hotel and I remarked, "There is the Irma Hotel.".  He nodded and kept on going.  We drove 20 miles out of town to the east and turned and drove through town again.  Again, I mentioned the Irma. He drove back some 20 miles towards Yellowstone.  Turned around and drove back through Cody.  I pointed out the Irma once again but only a nod response.   We drove some distance north out of Cody and turned around and once again came past the Irma Hotel.  We got a room at a motel somewhere near Wal-Mart.  Next morning we were looking for a place to eat.  He'd found some tourist guide and had discovered the Irma Hotel!   Why, if we only known about this place yesterday afternoon,  we could have staid there! We did have breakfast there.

What do dads know! 

What Tully Mars said.

Go into Yellowstone from Cody on Hwy. 14, and leave from Tower Junction northeast on Hwy. 212 towards Cooke City.

Two options after that - continue on 212 to Red Lodge (Beartooth Hwy.) OR cut southeast on Chief Joseph Hwy. 296. Depends on where you are going next.

Cooke City to Red Lodge is one of the most beautiful drives in this county, Chief Joseph is almost as good.

All great stuff - keep them coming.

I honestly have to admit; this is the most excited I have been for a vacation in a long time. (2020 was a long year).

We have already made our hotel reservation at the Cody Suites in Cody WY.  so we missed out on Irma.

But knowing where to find the best ice cream is always appreciated.

We have nothing set in stone on our agenda (other than Painted Lady's moms memorial visit) so any and all ideas are appreciated - and we love to road trip; so scenic drives and cool off the beaten path destinations are awesome.

I do need some good steakhouse recommendations; as Painted Lady has informed me that since we will be in real Cowboy country - she wants really good steak...  Everyday.

Thank you all.

Stop in at the Irma for breakfast.  In the morning when the rooms re being cleaned, the maids leave the doors open to the historic rooms if not occupied.  You can walk the halls of the original part of the hotel and get a look at some of the original rooms.  The Cherrywood back bar that sits in what is now the dining room was a gift to Buffalo Bill Cody from Queen Victoria.

https://www.irmahotel.com/gallery/

The best breakfast in Cody is at Our Place Cafe, in the west end across from Old Trail town.

Inexpensive and great food.

Been going there for 20+ years.

If going to Yellowstone continue South to see Jackson Lake/Grand Teton and continue South on 191. Head towards Moose and see the Chapel of the Transfiguration. Back to South 191 and see the National Museum of Wildlife Art. Jackson a tourist town and catch 22 West a short distance to Moose Wilson Rd. North. Go up to the Teton Village and take a ride up to the top of the Mountain on the lift. Unbelievable view well worth it. I have to stop there or I'll have you there for months.;)

Creeker, if you have time stuff to see in Ogden, UT.  Browning Museum, Hill Airforce Museum.  Some pretty good steaks and a  free tour guide.  

28 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr, SASS #14478 Life said:

The best breakfast in Cody is at Our Place Cafe, in the west end across from Old Trail town.

Inexpensive and great food.

Been going there for 20+ years.

We've ate there several times!  It is great. 

1 hour ago, twelve mile REB said:

Creeker, if you have time stuff to see in Ogden, UT.  Browning Museum, Hill Airforce Museum.  Some pretty good steaks and a  free tour guide.  

The Browning Museum takes a full day.

Well worth the time.

OLG 

West of Billings is Shiloh Sharps in Big Timber.  Call and set up a tour of their facility.  Pretty cool place.

4 hours ago, twelve mile REB said:

Reb, this time we are flying up to Montana, so I think Ogden will have to wait for another go around.

But for Scorpions 21st birthday; I'm buying us a pair of Can Am touring Spyders - so I will be keeping Ogden on the list for a road trip.

And holding you to the tour guide offer.

Our place for breakfast. they also have the best sour cream raisin pie. it was and still may be owned by a wagon coosie. Irma for prime rib. Buffalo Bill  Museum for no less than two days. Yellowstone Park of course. Great SASS match North of town. Lots of stuff. Quigley in Forsyth is awesome. Remants of the Milwaukee Road and a Little Joe on the way. There are just too many attractions to list. 

I drove dudes to the park as a pre teen so I still stop in West. The UP depot in town and its giant fireplace are stupendous.

I live in Billings and offer my services for anything that would help you and your lady enjoy our State.....family goes back 4 generations.

Bugler

On 1/2/2021 at 6:25 AM, Tucker T Fudpucker said:

Best ice cream, Mo"s Cones, is in Laurel Mt just outside of Billings. flew into Billings last year on the way to Great Falls just to go there.  Stayed in Best Western downtown Billings just a couple of miles from the airport. The Bighorn Battlefield, Pompeys Pillar and the Petroglytfs Park are all great places to visit. In Cody the Best Western, not BW Plus, is a great little motel within walking distance of the museum. Great ride into Yellowstone, plan for a full day to get to old faithful and back. Have a great trip.

Pictograph Park near Billings is nothing compared to the one 20 miles East of Lewistown, Montana

Archived