SASS Wire Forum

People are going crazy with their auction bids!

McCandless

I saw a few guns up for bid on an auction site.  They had reasonable starting prices, so I figured what the heck.. and put in some conservative, but realistic bids.  One item, I bid too much on, but I was smitten.

WHAM!  Quickly out bid... by a lot.   This morning, out of curiosity, I went back to look at the final selling price.   Unbelievable!

Sales prices were well over MSRP.   

I know that stores are depleted right now, but I'd have to be truly desperate to pay double what they were just a couple of months ago.

Christmas + Shortage = a windfall for sellers.   I don't fault them, the guns are worth whatever someone is willing to pay.

But, wow!  :o

Yeah. The panic insanity needs to subside before I do any auctions.

I have been looking for a couple of Mags for a M&P shield EZ but they are not there.A couple of people on E Bay have some but for over twice the price.

I'll waite

Largo

The shotgun I want had a street price of $820 to $860 with careful shopping back "before." MSRP is about $1,000.

$1,300 to $1,400 on GunBroker today, occasionally one goes for even more (when it is the only available example). I don't want it that bad, but someone does.

I bought a single stage press on E Bay few years back, same thing. There was a beat up Rockchucker that looked like it was drug behind a truck over 40 miles of bad road. Went for well over what a new one cost at Wally World. :huh:

JHC

I always keep my eye out for Colts of any kind, SAAs, DAs, 1911’s etc. the prices are outrageous on SAAs. I have 4 that I paid what I thought was fairly reasonable. I know they’re hard to find but c’mon!!!

Howdy,

Well everyone is selling?? So Buy Buy.

everyone is buying so SELL SELL...

Rodney Dangerfield in Caddy Shack...

Best

CR

2 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Have you seen what they’re asking for primers?? Yikes!!:o

I recently saw 1000 CCI small pistol primers sell for $350, shipped, on Gunbroker.

47 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Where do I look on Gunbroker to see what the final sale price is?

I think if you pick an item and click on "watch" it will later allow you to see what the final price was.

I have been looking for rifle for my daughter to get her something bigger than her 243. She has decided she wants larger caliber so she can have capability to harvest larger animals in future. I have been bidding on several that went from a retail $600 to a bid over $900 I did make an offer on a Kimber in 7mm-08 $150 below MSRP and it was accepted. Surprised me but If she doesn't like it I love my 257 Roberts Kimber I bet I can grow to accept this one :P. Unfortunately i think that might not be the case as she loves my Bob too. ;)

I’ve been selling a few I don’t use, one I got over double what I paid 2 years ago, all came out very well on.  With sales tax starting today on GB probably a frenzy, combined with stimulus checks for the perfect storm.

Primers are dipping a bit, and I just found H4350 on cabelas last night.  I think we are on the way down....won’t be fast but senate outcome could make it drop like a cliff or maintain.

I sold a gun here on the SASS wire classifieds in 2018 for $750. The entire description was "Gun for sale". No pictures of the gun, no further description or hints as to what it was, nothing, just "Gun for sale"... it lasted 16 minutes before I got an "I'll take it". I received payment, and sent it off - the buyer didn't know what it was until the box was opened. 

Back in my photo days, we attended various auctions and estate sales... found the same thing.
Used photo gear bid higher than a new time out of New York City.

PT Barnum had it right.

well I went to a gun show yesterday , to fix one for one of the FFLs there , saw 1000 LR primers marked for $150 , that is 5x , what I paid for the last batch I got 

very strange show , think I will go back there to watch the show , just to see how stupid it gets 

Chickasaw 

I was in the market for a Ruger Old Army, fixed sight, 7 1/2", stainless. I found one that had a Buy it Now price with no current bids. I called the seller and made an offer below the Buy it Now price, but higher than what they had set as an opening bid. Paid more than I wanted to,  but I have it.

I watched two 5 1/2" ROAs sell for over $1500 each. Any fixed sight model is going for a premium,  but the 5 1/2" ones are scary expensive. 

Primers,  I won't even go there. 

Let's hope this goes away with this new year, 

BS

I lucked out & bought 5000 Win.LP for 200 from a person at our range.

Largo

13 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I sold a gun here on the SASS wire classifieds in 2018 for $750. The entire description was "Gun for sale". No pictures of the gun, no further description or hints as to what it was, nothing, just "Gun for sale"... it lasted 16 minutes before I got an "I'll take it". I received payment, and sent it off - the buyer didn't know what it was until the box was opened. 

That was pretty neat. I watched the whole deal but was too chicken to pull the trigger. Can you refresh my memory as to what the gun was?

I just got a sad e-mail that a former co-worker of mine passed.  He was an avid reloader and probably has some supplies that will sell in an estate sale.  I will help his widow with the sale.  These will net enough to help defray funeral expenses.

18 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Wow, a CMP Garand just went for $1,925 on Gunbroker. Mine's not for sale, but I'm wondering what it would bring now.

A lot of folks don't have the extra cash laying around to do this, but CMP allows you to buy up to 8 per calendar year, and they always seem to bring 20-50% more on Gunbroker.

My last win on Gun Broker was because I was the guy who wanted it more than the guy bidding against me.

I was bidding for NOS old model (pre-2005) Bisley Vaquero 5.5" stainless in 44 mag.
It was the exact twin brother for the one I found in a pawn shop in Junction, KS.

Ruger made about 4400 of these over the entire product life, so they are scarce.
When it became obvious another guy was interested in this one, I had to bang the Buy It Now button, or risk losing a scarce piece.

Maybe this is the time dig out the safe queens and list them on auction with ridiculous, exorbitant, starting bids.   

On 1/4/2021 at 2:56 PM, bgavin said:

My last win on Gun Broker was because I was the guy who wanted it more than the guy bidding against me.

I was bidding for NOS old model (pre-2005) Bisley Vaquero 5.5" stainless in 44 mag.
It was the exact twin brother for the one I found in a pawn shop in Junction, KS.

Ruger made about 4400 of these over the entire product life, so they are scarce.
When it became obvious another guy was interested in this one, I had to bang the Buy It Now button, or risk losing a scarce piece.

I have four of these

7 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I have four of these

I fully get it.
We have seven Bisley, all told.
Three Single Six, two OM Vaquero 357, two OM Vaquero 44 mag.

Kudos for your score!
I understand these are indeed scarce...
Bisley fits my hand better... I just got plain lucky finding them.

So far... 90% votes in, and GA is holding a thin Red advantage.

Archived