SASS Wire Forum

4 part question

Alpo

Or, if you prefer, four questions.

Christmas falls on trash pickup day this year.

Would you expect garbage to be picked up?

If garbage was not picked up, when would you expect it to be picked up?

Since Christmas falls on trash day, New Year's also falls on trash day. Same two questions.

Would you expect garbage to be picked up, and if it isn't, when would you expect it to be picked up?

I did a little research Monday afternoon. Our garbage is picked up on Tuesday and Friday, but since I live alone, I do not generate enough garbage to make it worthwhile to take it out to the street twice a week. So while deciding whether to take the trash out for Tuesday pick up, I looked to see whether there would be a Friday pickup. There was not, so it's a good thing I took it out Tuesday.

Even though it was a simple question - will the trash be picked up Christmas morning in my town - which needed one reply, either yes or no, there were about a dozen hits, telling what would be done in various towns across the country.

All of them agreed that there would be no trash pickup Friday, because it was Christmas and they weren't going to have their people work on Christmas. But just about every other place that was listed said the trash would be picked up Saturday. My town, the trash got picked up the next Tuesday. We only got one trash pickup that week. My town also said that they would not be working New Year's, and then again trash pickup would be the next Tuesday. That makes two weeks with only one trash pickup. You suppose they're going to cut the bill? Trash pickup is $24 a month for eight pickups. That's $3 a pickup. Only got six pickups this month. You suppose the next bills only going to be for $18? Yeah, neither do I.

The amazing thing, is that four people on my street put their garbage out Christmas Eve night. And the cans sat at the curb until Tuesday afternoon when they got dumped. I noticed that none of those four people put the cans out last night, but three other people did. I wonder how long they will wait at the curb.

When I was stationed at Fallon Nevada the trash trucks ran on Christmas day. Pickup was only once a week

Where I live now they skipped trash pickup on Christmas and New Year's day. Pickup is twice a week.

My trash is picked up once a week on Mondays.  They don't pick up on Holidays and if Monday was a holiday they would pickup on Tuesday.  And since taking out the trash on Monday mornings has finally become something I remember to do, I'd properly haul it to the curb on holidays too out of habit.

On Holidays our trash is delayed one day, so a Friday pickup would be Saturday.

Wait. Someone comes to get your trash? And they do it every week or even twice a week? I thought everyone just dumped it out back in a ravine with the used motor oil, anti-freeze, and old appliances. Will wonders never cease?

Enough of this trash talk!

Let's keep the conversation clean. :P

37 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I thought everyone just dumped it out back in a ravine with the used motor oil, anti-freeze, and old appliances.

Oh, you know my father-in-law?

2 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

My trash is picked up once a week on Mondays.  They don't pick up on Holidays and if Monday was a holiday they would pickup on Tuesday.  And since taking out the trash on Monday mornings has finally become something I remember to do, I'd properly haul it to the curb on holidays too out of habit.

Ours is picked up on Friday.  If Friday is a holiday they pick up on Saturday.  I put it out very Thursday evening so I won't forget.

There are three or four other trash contractors ( We choose our own) and I don't know what the others do.

Around here we have pickup three days a week.

What? You ask! Three days a week!

How much trash can you make in a week?

Monday - Household trash (i.e.. kitchen waste) 

Wednesday - Yard trash (leaves, pine cones, pine straw, grass clippings, etc.)

Thursday - Recycling trash (very selective, no glass it weighs too much, no black plastic, no styrofoam)

If there is a holiday on Monday Household trash is picked up on Wednesday and there is no Yard trash pickup that week.

This can be a catastrophe, we might be buried in pine needles by the next week. 
By the way I live in a Village called ‘Whispering Pines’. The neighboring Villages also have Pine in their name, just to give you an idea of what we are dealing with.

All due to FDR and the CCC replanting the south. :D

To quote Don Adams, “And I’m Loving it!”

CJ

Around here, garbage/trash is picked-up every other week, along with Green Bin Kitchen Waste and a Blue Bin containing recyclables such as glass, metal and plastic.

The alternate week, Green Bin is again picked up as well as a Black Bin containing paper and cardboard recyclables.

23 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

On Holidays our trash is delayed one day, so a Friday pickup would be Saturday.

Same

Archived