SASS Wire Forum

Gun stuff you wish you hadn't got rid of

DeaconKC

Okay, without listing the many guns we regret letting go of, what firearms' related stuff do you really, really wish you hadn't parted with?

Me, an ancient Lee turret press, looking back, it was a very good little beast, even though my Dillon 550 is superior, the Lee was great and much better to teach someone new how to reload.

SKS  I bought 3 for $200 .. and 4 spam can of 7.62x39  but always used ammo from cardboard boxes 2 years ago I sold them for $250 each 

then in july "found" my spam cans 

ammo for gun I don't have 

A Dillon Square Deal, I now have a 550 and I like it a lot but that Square deal was the cat's meow!

Two, yes, two, Star Lubri-sizers.  I honestly can't remember if I gave them away or just threw them in the trash.  I got them in a pile of gun stuff a bunch of years ago.  I didn't really know what they were at that time and I'm not sure if they were complete or missing a couple parts.  If parts were missing they were probably in amongst the other stuff I got at the same time.  While I was into reloading I did not, and no intentions to, cast bullets.

I started regretting getting rid of them when I first started casting bullets for CAS.  I REALLY started regretting getting rid of them after I shelled out the cash for a new Star Lubri-sizer and began casting bullets for 3 different calibers.

I have stopped beating my head against the wall for that and the scars are barely noticeable, now.  :blink:

Angus

My first Blackhawk !  I967 model with a George Lawrence Fast Draw holster ,a Lyman 310 Tong Tool and a hand-tooled (by me ) lined pistol case.

Lack of funds in college and I GAVE this away ,all of it ,  for , wait ...........$125 !!

Talk about regrets  !!

MEC sizemaster. 

I got a pacific progressive at an estate sale. Once I got it up and running sold the size master. Wish I had kept it for BP. I picked up a Lee Loadall that works, but the sizemaster was waymobetta. 

I regretted selling my RCBS Rockchucker and my RCBS lead melter, but I have since found deals on both so I am good again. I'm not big on selling stuff.

When I first got into cowboy shooting I purchased a set of Ruger Old Model Vaqueros in .357.  Shot them for about two years.  I have smaller hands and held another shooters Ubertis one time and really liked the way they felt better than the heavier, thicker Rugers.  Sold both pistols to an older gentleman and used the money to buy a set of nickel plated Ubertis.  Really enjoyed shooting the Ubertis all of these years, but kinda wish that I still had just kept the Old Vaqueros.  Seems like alot of guys/gals put a premium on the older thicker model now.  Prices for those Rugers have kept going up.  I think that they are hard to find too.  

A mec 12 g complete reloading setup-even had bags of shot, I got in a bulk reloading deal...said I'll never load for shotgun....then 2 months later discovered the joy of BP shells.  

I regret getting rid of a RCBS Rockchucker many years ago.  I reload on a 650 but there are times when a single stage press is just easier for small operations.  I bought and sold a lot of guns in my youth.  Some I miss and some were just passing through.

When I picked up my 2nd and 3rd loadmasters I sold my lee turret press. Now i'm kicking myself because it was a great press for running small batches of precision or working up ladder test loads on. I still have a single stage to do that but the turret made short work of those jobs. 

Doing leather for me and a limited number of others for three years.  My Dad died in 2008.  He made holsters and pouches for years, not embellished but sturdy and long-lasting.  Looking at my stitching skills, I wish that I would have spent more time with him learning his skill.

The first gun safe we had. Sold it to buy a bigger one.  Now I've got the big one and two others.  If I'd only had a crystal ball. 

BS

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2021 at 12:00 PM, John Kloehr said:

Several thousand 9mm casings left at the range over several years, just was not worth collecting and saving as reloading would only save me about 4 cents each.

The 9mm  AND the 5.56!

Back in my USPSA days, I had a Dillon 650 set up with all the bells and whistles.  When I transitioned to SASS, I converted it over to load .44's, and had seperate shell plates for Russian, Special, and Magnum.  I dropped out of shooting for a while, and decided I needed the cash more than the reloader, so I sold it to finance a new welding set up.

Now that I'm back into shooting, I look at that empty space on the bench and wonder what I was thinking.

On 1/2/2021 at 9:21 AM, Boomstick Bruce said:

My Lee single stage... Now that I reload 32&38 s&w, I wish I had that press instead of having to re set up my hornady LNL everytime I change calibers...

The 1st press I bought was a Dillon 650 set-up with 45 Colt dies.  After loading 500 rounds I realized fixing mistakes on a progressive is very disruptive & leads to more mistakes..  So I added to my bench a Lee breach lock press.

The 1903 Springfield rifle I sold to buy my first '73 rifle.  Now that I'm shooting Wild Bunch, I'd like to have it for BAM matches. 

i miss my US military collection and now my commonwealth military collection , but we get older and we part ways with things , sometimes we miss them , ive not sold off any cowboy stuff i really miss at all tho , ive always been trading up to something i wanted more , 

Archived