SASS Wire Forum

2021 Shooters Handbook

Flying W Ramrod

I see the new Shooters Handbook is out. Is there anyplace I can go to see the changes from last SHB to this one?

I could read from front to back, but I'd just like to know what the changes are.

Regards

I am just a guy...so take this as a grain of salt...but this is what I noticed different between Jan 2020 and Jan 2021.  NOTE: there was a June 2020 SHB as well...I just did not have it to compare.

Pg 4

The use or presence of any of the listed
outlawed items will result in a Stage Disqualification penalty. 

updated to

The use or presence of any of the listed
outlawed items, equipment, or the use of a non-SASS legal firearm will result in a stage
Disqualification penalty for each stage the illegal item(s) is used. Penalties are not awarded
in arrears but should be corrected before the competitor shoots the next stage. 

Pg 5

SASS recognizes shooting categories based upon age, gender, costuming, equipment, shooting
style, and/or propellant. The age for a competitor is determined by their age on the first day
the match starts. All SASS categories may be subdivided by gender to establish categories
for ladies. There are no men’s categories. Competitors may compete within any category for
which they qualify. Each category has a set of standard regulations the competitor must
follow in order to “stay in category” during the match. 

updated to

SASS recognizes shooting categories based upon age, gender, costuming, equipment, shooting
style, and/or propellant. The age for a competitor is determined by their age on the first day
the match starts. All SASS categories are open gender categories (there are no men’s categories).
Base categories may be subdivided by gender to establish categories for women only. Age,
gender, and residency are all to be confirmed/determined by the declaration on the individual’s
state issued driver’s license or ID. Competitors may compete within any category for which
they qualify. Each category has a set of standard regulations the competitor must follow in
order to “stay in category” during the match. 

Page 6

Duelists may shoot one revolver right handed and one revolver left handed in
what is commonly referred to as “Double Duelist”. Double Duelist is NOT a
standalone shooting category.

updated to

Duelists may shoot one revolver right-handed and one revolver left-handed in
what is commonly referred to as “Double Duelist”. Double Duelist is NOT a
standalone shooting category.

Pg 15

No firearm may be de-cocked on the firing line to avoid a penalty if cocked at the
wrong time, position or location once a round has gone downrange. Once a
revolver is cocked, the round must be expended (shot). However, if a round has
not gone downrange, and under the direction and supervision of the
CRO/TO, the revolver may be de-cocked. This requires a positive
indication/acknowledgement from the TO for the shooter to do so. (See also
“Double Jeopardy” avoidance in Safety & Handing Conventions – All Firearms)

changed to (P 14)

No firearm may be de-cocked on the firing line to avoid a penalty if cocked at the
“Double Jeopardy” avoidance in Safety & Handling Conventions – All Firearms)

Pg 16

A rifle is considered SAFE to leave the shooter’s hands in the following condition only:

changed to

A rifle is considered SAFE to leave the shooter’s hands in the following condition(s) only
(some conditions may be corrected before firing the next firearm):

AND

A shotgun is considered SAFE to leave the shooter’s hands in the following condition only:
- Empty.
A shotgun is considered SAFE for movement (in hand, while moving through a stage in the
following condition only:
- Action open, round in chamber or on carrier.
- Hammer(s) fully down on an empty chamber(s) or expended round(s), action
closed.

changed to

A shotgun is considered SAFE to leave the shooter’s hands in the following condition only
(some conditions may be corrected before firing the next firearm) :
- Empty.
A shotgun is considered SAFE for movement (in hand, while moving through a stage) in the
following conditions only:
- Action open, round in chamber or on carrier.
- Hammer(s) fully down on an empty chamber(s) or expended round(s), action
closed.

Page 22:

ADDITION

Firing more rounds than specified in the stage instructions. 

- Initially staging a long gun with the hammer cocked/action closed (once it leaves
the shooter’s hands). [editor's note...this may have been in the June update]

Page 27

- May not be jacketed, semi-jacketed, plated, or gas checked. It must be all lead.
Moly-Disulfide, polymer coated bullets, or equivalents are acceptable. 

changed to (P 26)

- May not be jacketed, semi-jacketed, hollow point, plated, or gas checked. It must
be all lead. Moly-Disulfide, polymer coated bullets, or equivalents are acceptable. 

Page 44

ADDITION

Short Sleeved Shirt (for males clothing)- A shirt with sleeves that do not extend to the
wrist. (Rolling up the sleeves on a long-sleeved shirt is acceptable. Fastening or
securing the rolled-up sleeve(s) in place is the same as a short sleeve and is
prohibited.

AGAIN...THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL SOURCE...JUST MY OBSERVATIONS...

9 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

I am just a guy...so take this as a grain of salt...but this is what I noticed different between Jan 2020 and Jan 2021.  NOTE: there was a June 2020 SHB as well...I just did not have it to compare.

AGAIN...THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL SOURCE...JUST MY OBSERVATIONS...

Close enough!

Also:

ADD:

- "CONED" shotgun ammunition ("partially-crimped" or "ogival-crimped") is ILLEGAL .

SHB p.27 - "SHOTGUN AMMUNITION"

I don’t know all the changes, but the new one is 3 pages shorter. Guessing they may have removed some redundant information. That would be a good thing. 

2 hours ago, KingSnake said:

I don’t know all the changes, but the new one is 3 pages shorter. Guessing they may have removed some redundant information. That would be a good thing. 

They removed some spacing. They did remove the forward which talked about combining the ro1 book with the shooters handbook... Didn't really remove any information.

They also added a new, cleaned up version of the miss flow chart and RO pocket reference card.

2 hours ago, Marshal Chance Morgun said:

Looks like it's getting to the point that I'll need to have my lawyer with me to attend a shoot.:P

Moving target?

The new Shooter's Handbook is 45 pages.  When I started in 1995 I believe it was maybe 6 pages.  Of course I could be wrong by about a few pages.  My how life has changed.  Still "THE MOST FUN YOU CAN HAVE WITH YOUR PANTS ON"

After a quick skim, I do see there is still some duplication.

Maybe someday I will volunteer to propose a further tightening. Not this year, it is a good document and I have too much on my plate.

In many ways, the biggest problem with the documentation  is newbies thinking the costume aspect is much more important than it is; I thought so. It would help new shooters to know jeans, a long-sleeve button-up (or snaps) shirt, and no lugs on boots (and not modern "tennies" in any form) are the basic requirements. And a hat (not baseball cap) is optional but recommended.

And at a local shoot, none of those rules may matter at all for a first or even second visit.

Beyond that, I have some opinions and recommendations but nothing that prevents me from showing up to throw lead and have fun.

9 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Maybe someday I will volunteer to propose a further tightening. Not this year, it is a good document and I have too much on my plate.

In many ways, the biggest problem with the documentation  is newbies thinking the costume aspect is much more important than it is; I thought so. It would help new shooters to know jeans, a long-sleeve button-up (or snaps) shirt, and no lugs on boots (and not modern "tennies" in any form) are the basic requirements. And a hat (not baseball cap) is optional but recommended.

And at a local shoot, none of those rules may matter at all for a first or even second visit.

Beyond that, I have some opinions and recommendations but nothing that prevents me from showing up to throw lead and have fun.

+10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

29 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

The "NO "LUG" soles" only applies to the BW & Classic categories. 

1 hour ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

The new Shooter's Handbook is 45 pages.  When I started in 1995 I believe it was maybe 6 pages.  Of course I could be wrong by about a few pages.  My how life has changed.  Still "THE MOST FUN YOU CAN HAVE WITH YOUR PANTS ON"

It was 24 pages until 1997.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 12:03 PM, J.S. Sooner, SASS #73526 said:

I didn't look at it yet; hope there wasn't any mask rules added!  :D

Only Lone Ranger masks are required!:P

On 1/2/2021 at 7:25 PM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

The "NO "LUG" soles" only applies to the BW & Classic categories. 

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still a newbie, so I will consider this a case in point for costume confusion.

52 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Thanks for the clarification. I'm still a newbie, so I will consider this a case in point for costume confusion.

IMO, it's a "case in point" regarding reading comprehension and consideration of context within the applicable sections of the rulebook.  

(an issue I have addressed in the past and have no intention of revisiting)

1 hour ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

(an issue I have addressed in the past ...)

And your addressing it is appreciated. Especially since your tone indicates you have clearly done so repeatedly.

On 1/2/2021 at 3:51 PM, John Kloehr said:

In many ways, the biggest problem with the documentation  is newbies thinking the costume aspect is much more important than it is; 

IMO the lack of understanding by some people that the costume aspect is of major importance to this game just shows that they don't have any idea what this game is about. When the dress code started sliding, the game started sliding with it.

Snakebite 

2 hours ago, Snakebite said:

IMO the lack of understanding by some people that the costume aspect is of major importance to this game just shows that they don't have any idea what this game is about. When the dress code started sliding, the game started sliding with it.

Snakebite 

Sometimes you say things that just make me want to kiss you! :)

On 1/1/2021 at 11:02 AM, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

(Rolling up the sleeves on a long-sleeved shirt is acceptable. Fastening or
securing the rolled-up sleeve(s) in place is the same as a short sleeve and is
prohibited.

I'll start...I roll up my sleeves and use a garter to hold them in place is legal or not?

On 1/1/2021 at 1:02 PM, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Pg 15

changed to (P 14)

Sorry, but those two paragraphs look identical to me (other than it moved from p15 to p14).  Am I missing something?

4 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Sorry, but those two paragraphs look identical to me (other than it moved from p15 to p14).  Am I missing something?

Highlighted the typo that was fixed:

On 1/1/2021 at 1:02 PM, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Pg 15

changed to (P 14)

34 minutes ago, irish ike, SASS #43615 said:

I'll start...I roll up my sleeves and use a garter to hold them in place is legal or not?

Legal

Additionally, adding an 'eye' or loop to the top part of the sleeve that affixes to a button on the rolled-up sleeve, to fasten the rolled sleeve to the top of the sleeve would be illegal. Sewing a rolled up sleeve in place or tacking it in place would be illegal.

Archived