SASS Wire Forum

Black powded flask? Loading on the gun?

Warden Callaway

The can isn't necessarily the important part of the operation.

1609552164851402029870436363703.thumb.jpg.d0df23d56c6107019f526fd23924168e.jpg

These can screw onto any cap that you drill a hole into.

The spring loaded top is threaded and can go on a brass flask that I also have sitting on the shelf.

This just cuts out the middleman of pouring the powder from the can into the flask.

12 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

The flip caps will be much easier to use than the screw caps.  ;)

3 hours ago, Yusta B. said:

The flip caps will be much easier to use than the screw caps.  ;)

I ordered 100 of the flap cap style.  Beijing already issued a tracking number.  The only two considerations were that they were a couple dollars cheaper and being one-piece,  I wouldn't be dropping the cap and looking for it.  

On 1/1/2021 at 1:13 AM, Warden Callaway said:

My old hands have been worked to death

If you’re loading on the gun, another thing to save your hands is a SLIX hand or something like this that fits over the loading lever. A necessity for my 5” Navies.  

Here are pics from the SLIX website:

image.thumb.jpeg.39ae1d6d4be2a2412b8d6164654c2620.jpeg

image.jpeg.17f8f394e59467c5eebc64d4d3468d80.jpeg

I use the round brass tube flask. Shooting C&B for 15 years. No loading stand, no pre-packaged loads, no 12 cylinders for 6 stages.

Pour "real 2f bp powder into cylinder, push wonder wad soaked in 50/50 beeswax and crisco, ball.  I can shoot 6 stages and never touch the guns.

Too much stuff to carry around to load a gun.

On 1/1/2021 at 9:51 AM, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

I've had this one from CVA for many years.

It has threaded caps on both ends.

cva flask 1.jpg

I just picked up a Traditions model that looks identical.  It's slick as snot on a brass doorknob.  I've got some soft leather.  I may try make a body wrap.  May try adding some height to the button.

When I was shooting C&B, I tried the various flasks.  All seemed to have problems with the valve sticking.  Then I moved on to using the miniature plastic vials, filling them using a Lee Perfect Powder Measure.  Then I just skipped the plastic vials and loaded straight from the Lee unit mounted on my cart.  Much quicker and more accurate than a sticking valve flask.  They now make the Lee Perfect Powder Measure with an adapter that you can mount a larger jug of powder directly to so you can just upend it and dump the unused powder back in the bottle.  Of course, this requires that you remove the cylinder and can't recharge on the pistol, but I was using a Powder Inc bullet seater anyway so it didn't matter to me.  I liked wiping down the cylinder between stages anyway.  Scroll down the page below and you can see the bottle adapter.

https://leeprecision.com/perfect-powder-measure.html

On 1/1/2021 at 11:09 AM, Warden Callaway said:

Aha!, I got it, you converted it to pull to pick up the next charge and spring back to drop.  I have two of these measures but wouldn't want to give up one to make one like you show. 

Lee Precision Perfect Powder Measure - New 2020 Model # 90058 | eBay

image.png.e7c861506375984706e617f92340e302.png

this looks promising for a cart mounted charger...

12 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

I have a couple of Lyman 55s that I could set up that way but I don't see me making a habit shooting Frontiersman. 

2110244307_Lyman55thumbnut3Jan2019.jpg.08e8d0f9e780991a57cffb8fc4c0e842.jpg

4 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

I was eyeballing mine on the corner of my reloading table for the same idea that Larsen planted in our nuggets.  Let us know how that works.

On 1/3/2021 at 12:52 AM, Canoga Joe said:

If you’re loading on the gun, another thing to save your hands is a SLIX hand or something like this that fits over the loading lever. A necessity for my 5” Navies.  

Here are pics from the SLIX website:

image.thumb.jpeg.39ae1d6d4be2a2412b8d6164654c2620.jpeg

image.jpeg.17f8f394e59467c5eebc64d4d3468d80.jpeg

A large file handle works well also.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

2139327423_FlaskleathercoverJan2021.thumb.jpg.a3b1ca7cec70283929b583807e67bb66.jpg

I improved the handling of the Traditions flask this morning. I have upholstery leather scraps.  I put rough side out. Not showing my first time at baseball stitching. 

I love that idea!  I may have to do that to mine! :rolleyes:

On 1/1/2021 at 4:01 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Patterson flasks dropped five charges at once.  

Nothing new under the sun- I load my Remington NMA in a stand and use the push button flask but sort of  like the Patterson I load 5 chambers but unlike the OP video I don't turn the cylinder, 4 chambers are open and filled and one down the barrel and done with the flask, it is a muzzle loader :-)

Fordyce

28 minutes ago, Fordyce Beals said:

Nothing new under the sun- I load my Remington NMA in a stand and use the push button flask but sort of  like the Patterson I load 5 chambers but unlike the OP video I don't turn the cylinder, 4 chambers are open and filled and one down the barrel and done with the flask, it is a muzzle loader :-)

Fordyce

Once you dump powder into 5 chambers,   you have to rotate the cylinder to at least ram ball home.  I guess you gain not having to put flask down between chambers. 

21 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I guess you gain not having to put flask down between chambers. 

You are comprehending! 

Fordyce

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

I was in the hardware store and picked up a couple of metric M10x1.0 hex nuts. I used a hole punch to cut hole in the cap of a Grafs black powder jug.  Extra nut on spout for show.

685789639_GrafspoweredmeasureJan2021.thumb.jpg.6ac48e61d99e5c4916dc6535f1362387.jpg

Does it work?

6 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Does it work?

It should.  I haven't tried it yet.  Maybe tomorrow.  

I also picked up a couple of feet of plastic tubing to give cap shields a try. Cost 40 cents. I'll report back.

I was re-watching and old Hickock45 YouTube video with him shooting an original Colt 1849 pocket pistol and noticed on the table a flask made up from a Goex bottle and a brass spout. Different style of spout but ... 

Anyway,  fun video if you enjoy Colt cap guns.

My centrifuge capsules came today all the way from China!   Ordered on 1st of January.   Shipping data received in Beijing 4 hours later. Showed up in Putian (on coast) 8 hours later.  In Dongguan (near Hong Kong)  the next day. Spent a couple of days in customs. Import customs complete on 7th. Arrived Bensenville, IL 12:26 am Jan 8. Our local distortion PO in Columbia, MO on January 9 - about 30 miles from us.  Delivered today, January 12th. It went thousands of miles in very short time. Took 3 days to go the last 30 miles.  

Anyway, they are here and here they are.

438070817_PowdercapsulesJan2021.jpg.fd81acd1af7840e9dd147d220d65bb25.jpg

I thought them too small. But that's the charge by flask throws.  Supposed to be be 30 gr but more like 27. 

• 1 month later...

We just got back from our first match of this year.   I got through all 6 stages with the Pietta 1860s.  Some bumps along the way but some great performance at times. 

Loading from the capsules worked well.  Having them in the cartridge box helped keep track of not loading 4 or 6 instead of five.   About the 3rd stage I discovered the homemade loading stand just happened to fit in the top tray.  While not strong,  it is stable.   When it comes to ramming the ball home,  I grab the barrel to take the oppositing force.

1125618273_Pietta1860armyRuggedcartMarch2021.jpg.e7e4c1b7d025867e8bd81106bf94de1c.jpg

I decided to straight duelist with my right hand.  I took my time - not worried about my time. 

The first and second stage included a tombstone rack.   The guns are accurate enough and shoot to point of aim so I was able to clear the tombstones with 4 shots for the dump target. But bad luck cropped up.  A busted cap fell in the action and cost me two shots on the dump.  This was only the sacond time I've had to clear a cap from the action. 

I cleaned the plate rack without a miss on two stages.  No problems. 

On stage 5,  one of the guns had something down in the action and the trigger wouldn't engage the full cock notch.  So on the last shot, I just slip hammered it and hit the target. 

I used the RWS primers as they have worked well with the exception that they blow apart and about every stage one would fall between my hand and the grip.

The cover on my Ted Cash capper came unhitched at the loading table.  Not enough to spill the caps but they started coming out upside down more than up right.  After the stage,  I had to sort things out.

The down side is that all the loading time took away from my time to do posse chores or even to watch any other shooters.

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

How do you empty the vials into the cylinder chambers without spilling any?

Usually,  all goes in with no spilling.  The occasional grain or two, I just sweep in with finger.  After loading,  I rotate to check and huff and puff and blow any stray grains away.  It did work well.

At home,  I just used one of the capsules like a scoop (holding by the cap) in bulk powder in a bowl.

Archived