SASS Wire Forum

Black powded flask? Loading on the gun?

Warden Callaway

One of the things that attracts me to making paper cartridges is avoiding using the powder flask that I have.  It's CVA round tube model with the spring loaded lever to open the powder flow into the tube. My old hands have been worked to death and turning that flask upside down and pressing the lever is at least uncomfortable and gets old quickly. 

If I think to do it, I'll use both hands and hold the body with my left and work the lever with my right.  But then I have to be careful when I transfer to my right hand not to spill the powder. 

I'd buy another flask if it worked better and held more powder.  This one don't hold enough for a whole match.  What is a good alternative to the flask I have?  They all seem to work the same.

The Europeans seem to be on top of the curve when it comes to cap gun loading.  I recently ran across this video of a charging flask that worked with a charge bar.  It looked very productive and wouldn't kill my hands.  I've not seen anything offered like it.

I ran across another video that shows the measure in more detail.  Anyone translate French?

This is what I use.  To me, it's far easier to use, more accurate, and, again, to me, safer.  Your not taking a handful of loose powder in a container that can turn into a hand grenade.(by the way, that's my thoughts on the flask)

I fill the tubes while sitting at home at my leisure using nothing but the Lee dippers.  I only have in my hands what I need to fill that pistol.  I take out more when I start my next pistol.

Oh yeah, tubes similar to these are available on Amazon.  They also last.  These tubes are over 10 years old.

16095090942063777929213093630110.jpg

I use a system similar to Clueless Bob. The yellow tubes I got some from a pard on the wire and also purchased from I dont recall those are for my ROA. The clear tubes I made from tubing I got from the hardware store those are for my .36 cal capguns. I pre load them and put 10 in a zip lock bag and my lubed wads in a separate container. Hope this gives you an idea.

Hochbauer

20210101_092321.jpg

I bought this style from Track of the Wolf. I found it a lot easier to manipulate the valve.

flask-ps_1.jpg

Cylindrical Brass Powder Flask, 5" length, 1-1/4" diameter, accepts 10-1mm threaded spouts

If I refill it after charging for the first stage, it will hold enough powder for 5 more stages.

Similar to Clueless Bob I use these and load them ahead of time with a hand dipper.  Cap snaps tight and has never accidentally opened.

image.jpeg.bd5f873471fcb58cd99cf9d9091f9d8d.jpeg

Bought them on Amazon 500 for $17.00, I’m still using the first ones I started with.  Here’s a link to them Vial

I load 10 vials, 10 balls and 10 wads in 6 little fabric bags.  Then just pull out a bag when I charge’em up.  Works for me, YMMV

I can appreciate the design effort that went into the European gizmo.  It appears to be bigger and perhaps a bit fragile compared to Sedalia Dave’s, which is identical to the one I use.  The old Colt style powder flask is uncomfortable for me these days too. I’ll stick with the brass cylindrical flask as long as I can manipulate it ok.  Taking the time and trouble to make paper cartridges or pre-loaded containers simply doesn’t appeal to me, but I’m all for having fun the way you want to!

30 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I bought this style from Track of the Wolf. I found it a lot easier to manipulate the valve.

flask-ps_1.jpg

Cylindrical Brass Powder Flask, 5" length, 1-1/4" diameter, accepts 10-1mm threaded spouts

If I refill it after charging for the first stage, it will hold enough powder for 5 more stages.

Do you supose it's Treso brand?  Track of the Wolf doesn't say. 

Traditions has one simular.   

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/85620

17 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

Do you supose it's Treso brand?  Track of the Wolf doesn't say. 

If it’s not it’s a good copy.  I have an old Treso back from when they were being made in Colorado.  It was milled from a solid piece of brass.  The one pictured appears to have a threaded cap on the bottom.

1 hour ago, Clueless Bob said:

This is what I use.  To me, it's far easier to use, more accurate, and, again, to me, safer.  Your not taking a handful of loose powder in a container that can turn into a hand grenade.(by the way, that's my thoughts on the flask)

I fill the tubes while sitting at home at my leisure using nothing but the Lee dippers.  I only have in my hands what I need to fill that pistol.  I take out more when I start my next pistol.

Oh yeah, tubes similar to these are available on Amazon.  They also last.  These tubes are over 10 years old.

16095090942063777929213093630110.jpg

Found these on eBay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2ml-Conical-Micro-Centrifuge-Tubes-W-Caps-Plastic-Chemistry-Test-Vials-100Pcs-/303669363103?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

17 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

If it’s not it’s a good copy.  I have an old Treso back from when they were being made in Colorado.  It was milled from a solid piece of brass.  The one pictured appears to have a threaded cap on the bottom.

I've had this one from CVA for many years.

It has threaded caps on both ends.

cva flask 1.jpg

Here is my cylinder out of the gun setup.  The whole thing fits in a tray on top of the cart.  Five quick pulls of the powder charge bar and the cylinder is charged.  Then place the balls over the chambers move the cylinder to the seater and seat them.  The link on the left of the ball seater keeps the rammer verticle.  The top of the rammer is pinned to the shaft and does not move. The movement is in the link.  Very smooth.  I hate those seaters that rely on a bushing that slides on the rammer arm.

DSC_0003.jpeg

DSC_0004 (1).jpeg

DSC_0005.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Here's cylinder in the gun charger.  Body is an OLD Dillon manual measure.  I made the rest.

DSC_0003.jpeg

DSC_0004.jpeg

Aha!, I got it, you converted it to pull to pick up the next charge and spring back to drop.  I have two of these measures but wouldn't want to give up one to make one like you show. 

Just now, Warden Callaway said:

Aha!, I got it, you converted it to pull to pick up the next charge and spring back to drop.  I have two of these measures but wouldn't want to give up one to make one like you show. 

Correct.  I spent a lot of time on EBay and found three of the old measures.

10 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Correct.  I spent a lot of time on EBay and found three of the old measures.

One came with my 450.   I found a second at a flea market table in a gunshop.  I use them both.

Compare this photo to the three above.  The link has moved to accomodate the bullet seating stem.  The two screws in the link are shoulder bolts so the friction surfaces are on ground smooth round areas rather than on the threads.

DSC_0002.jpeg

7 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Similar to Clueless Bob I use these and load them ahead of time with a hand dipper.  Cap snaps tight and has never accidentally opened.

image.jpeg.bd5f873471fcb58cd99cf9d9091f9d8d.jpeg

Bought them on Amazon 500 for $17.00, I’m still using the first ones I started with.  Here’s a link to them Vial

I load 10 vials, 10 balls and 10 wads in 6 little fabric bags.  Then just pull out a bag when I charge’em up.  Works for me, YMMV

I ordered 100 off eBay for $5.67 delivered from China.  Said to expect them February 5.  I don't know if that's the final direction but it's a small investment to give it a try. 

4 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I ordered 100 off eBay for $5.67 delivered from China.  Said to expect them February 5.  I don't know if that's the final direction but it's a small investment to give it a try. 

Don’t get the China virus from them :o :D

Should’ve said something I would’ve shipped you 100 for nothing just pay the shipping.

13 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Don’t get the China virus from them :o :D

Should’ve said something I would’ve shipped you 100 for nothing just pay the shipping.

Generous offer,  but by the time I sent you postage and you packaged them up and got them to the post office,  it would be probably about come close to the $5.67 price.  This way,  if they get lost in the mail,  eBay may reimburse me. 

Warden,  along with the tubes you ordered, I picked up a small brass funnel from Cabela’s BP section to use to drop the powder in the chamber.  I’m sure you have something similar to use.

Man, I feel like such a Neanderthal. On the occasions that I would shoot C&B's I loaded the cylinders right on the gun. Used both styles of flasks, the bulb shape and the cylindrical. I had both brass and clear plastic one. Didn't use any wads, instead sealing each chamber with homemade lube that was 70% bee's wax and 30% Crisco. I could reload the cylinders at the unloading table in about 2 shooters time, so maybe 4 or 5 minutes.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS !!!

APP and Black MZ make things SO much easier.  No muss, no fuss, lotta smoke.  Gotta Love it.  

NowI just gotta find one of those old Manual Dillon Powder Measures.  Could use an RCBS I suppose, but them things weigh a TON!!! 

Archived