SASS Wire Forum

73 Mare's Leg?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

I do remember seeing one in the recent new version of Magnificent Seven where Chris Pratt’s character picks one up from a bad guy, and again on the CBS series of the same name where one of the “Seven” characters also carried one, he was the sharpshooter using a 30” barreled 73(I am guessing on length). 

Certainly a cool-looking piece.  However, I have never understood the efficacy of such a critter, either the M92 or this one, versus a sixgun.  At most you can carry five or six .44-40 cartridges, and it either takes two hands to operate or practicing until you can twirl the thing.  But, to each his/her own, I guess...

Happy New Year, Pards!

1 minute ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Certainly a cool-looking piece.  However, I have never understood the efficacy of such a critter...

Your first comment is the answer to your second comment.  :)

If they were really useful they would'a used 'em back in the day.

None of these guns....

RidiculousB.thumb.JPG.28ad5b005dc586aa81b9ddd5f46b4678.JPG

...are all that practical in real life situations.  [Well, maybe the shotgun...] They certainly give you no advantage in our game.  Sadly, only the rifle at the top is SASS Legal, but let that go.  These guns are incredibly FUN to shoot.  That's why you own them.  And I have found that both the Mare's Leg and the Lighting Bolt pistols are quite accurate when fired two handed and more or less held where they would be if they still had a full stock.  

The reason I asked about a 73 version is really rather simple.  Consider the following...
Battery Number One
Winchester 86
Winchester 92

Mare's Leg Pistol

Winchester 9422

Battery Number Two

Large Frame Lightning

Medium Frame Lightning

Lightning Bolt Pistol

Small Frame Lightning

These are fun things to have, even if their use in our game is not permitted.

A theoretical Battery Number Three would be as follows

Winchester 76

Winchester 73/66/Henry

Theoretical 73 based Mare's Leg or even a functional replica Volcanic Pistol that uses "modern" ammo

Winchester 73 or Uberti 66 .22 rifle

I think that this would just a a fun thing to have.  Even without the pistol, but that would make it more "complete."

I know it can also be done with the things from Henry Repeating Arms, and as far as I know, all but the pistol version of various Marlin's, but being a southpaw I am not interested in those guns.  

I can't be the only one who thinks the concept is a fun one.

32 minutes ago, Nate Kiowa Jones #6765 said:

Not very useful. but there is a way if you wanna throw some $$$ at it.. :)

This one started life as a Rossi Ranch hand.

DSCN0129.thumb.JPG.c82edebb82c9d7eb30dbe08986077ee2.JPG

Very nice.

But kinda defeats the purpose. 

Does this an SBR Make?  I'd assume it does.  Is that silencer on the end?  Either way I guess it's NFA Thirty Four.

Off topic, but if you had a way to feed it, is there any reason a volcanic couldn't be a main match pistol?

20 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

Off topic, but if you had a way to feed it, is there any reason a volcanic couldn't be a main match pistol?

I would assume it would not be since it's not a "revolver."  Which is why the Mare's Leg is not allowed.

Too bad, IMO. 

And it's just an opinion.

23 minutes ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Very nice.

But kinda defeats the purpose. 

Does this an SBR Make?  I'd assume it does.  Is that silencer on the end?  Either way I guess it's NFA Thirty Four.

Why? It's still fun and even more useful now. 

The buttstock makes it a an SBR and that is a suppressor up front. So,  It got form 4-ed on both ends.

Archived