SASS Wire Forum

Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt + .45 ACP What has been your experience?

Buckeye Pete, SASS # 29941

I thought that I'd tap the knowledge of this group of shooters as to what their experience has been with a Ruger New Model Blackhawk Convertible in .45 Colt + 45 acp.  I'm thinking that this should be my next gun purchase, but I'd like to hear from folks who have them and what their experience has been.  Like many of you I have both .45 Colt guns as well as .45 acp guns and I always like the capability of using one gun for multiple calibers.  So are there anythings that I should be aware of?  My first choice would be a stainless model with the 4.62" barrel and second choice would be the same gun but blued.  I'm guessing that they would shoot pretty well for what they are.  Thanks for reading this and any insight you might have.

Buckeye Pete

I have one but have never shot it, prior to getting it I shot one with the acp cylinder and could hit well at about 80 yards. I have a pair of Vaqueros with 45 Colt/ acp cylinders and they shoot well with either cylinder.

Randy

I have had one with the 4.625” barrel since 1978 that I still shoot.  For a while I also had one with a 7.5” barrel.  The long barreled one did have one .45 ACP chamber that didn’t like my taper crimps, as it allowed the round to seat too deep and occasionally misfired, so I just marked and avoided that chamber in matches.  If I had shot it more often I probably could have fixed that by adjusting my crimp, but the work around got me by.

The only real consideration is that you need to use bullets in the same weight range in both chamberings or your sights will be way too far off.  I normally shoot 250gr .45 Colt, and 185-200gr in the .45ACP,  which shoot nowhere near the same point of aim. In my case I stick with 235gr ACPs if I want to shoot some in the revolver, and they shoot close enough to the sights to work for me without adjustment.

Atz a dandy combination.  Have had a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible 45 Colt/45 ACP.   It worked a treat with either.  Farther down the road, I have had several different Replicants with dual cylinders with the same experience.  Equally accurate with either cartridge.  The are actually the SAME caliber.  Different cartridge.  I also found, my Convertible Replicants really really liked Cowboy 45 Special cartridges in the 45 ACP cylinders too.  I also run C45S in 45 Colt chambers with excellent results.

A DISCLAMER:  I don't personally like Ruger.  I no longer own the Blackhawk.  I would not hesitate to recommend Ruger for someone else.  Just not for me.

Mine doesn't like lead bullets in the 45 ACP cylinders. After a couple of rounds, there is enough lead buildup on the chamber shoulder that the rounds won't seat. It needs a good scrubbing with a brass brush before it will load properly again.

I have had two of them and been talked out of both of them. I really regret letting go of the last one as it was especially accurate with either cylinder.

Have a 1972 vintage Blackhawk with the dual cylinder.  Is still quite accurate with the .45 auto cylinder, and pretty good with .45 Colt cylinder.   Yes, the auto cylinder is prone to collect lead when shooting lead bullets, right at the headspace ledge.   Nothing that a stiff brush won't take out, though.

Good luck, GJ

The pair I had started 3 people in SASS!! I shot my first match with one and added another shortly afterward.  I handed them over to Schoolmarm and she used them until I found a pair of .38 Blackhawks to replace them. 

Next, my son , Hatfield used them to begin his participation.

I guess you could say that they also are responsible for my grandson getting started. I traded them for a pair of slicked up Model P Jr.s for him!!

They were/are a great pair of guns!!

Well I don't have a Ruger, but I have two Uberti 1873 Cattleman 45 Colt pistols that I purchased 45 ACP cylinders for. The 45 ACP works very well in them and are quite accurate. I now have the option of shooting 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, or 45 ACP out of the same pistols.

Archived