SASS Wire Forum

COVID19 Vaccination process a BUST here!

Here in Florida, the Governor put senior citizens 65 and older on the first to get the Vaccine Shots.

Lake County decided they would have anyone interested in getting vaccinated, to call and schedule an appointment to get the shot   over the next two days. Call in was to start at 9:00am yesterday morning. My wife and I both started calling at 8:45am using our cell phones and after 2 hours and 15 minutes and a combined 902 calls, we finally got in, only to be told the appointments had been filled; however, on Friday and Saturday it would be first come first served!

Then late yesterday, the Department of Health announced they were suspending the program until Monday, IF additional doses were received.

The craziness continues.

:angry:They should have anticipated what was going to happen. 

Suspended due to holiday weekend, I’m sure. 

Lake County FL Health Dept:

MISSION 

To protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county, & community efforts.

VISION :

To be the Healthiest State in the Nation

VALUES (ICARE) :

I nnovation: We search for creative solutions and manage resources wisely.

C ollaboration: We use teamwork to achieve common goals & solve problems.

A ccountability: We perform with integrity & respect.

R esponsiveness: We achieve our mission by serving our customers & engaging our partners.

E xcellence: We promote quality outcomes through learning & continuous performance improvement.

UNLESS ITS A HOLIDAY WEEKEND :P

California has a plan... a schedule.  Very detailed.  Once you drill down through pages of bureaucratic BS you will find an actual "schedule," of sorts.  Which sorta indicates that us older than 65 folk are clearly scheduled to definitely maybe receive our vaccinations sometime in the Spring.  Maybe.

California Plan

the title to this is misleading and disgusting

59 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

I got my shot yesterday, today they are out of vaccine. Sounds to me they are putting it to good use. No use doling it out. As soon as they get more they will use it.

kR

F0or the first shot, agree get it out there to however can benefit based on priority.

Remember you do need a second shot, this is where logistics becomes important! Cant give your second shot to someone else as a first shot or your  first shot is wasted. (90 days for this to get figured out). Make your appointment for your second shot early!

3 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I got my shot yesterday, today they are out of vaccine. Sounds to me they are putting it to good use. No use doling it out. As soon as they get more they will use it.

kR

If it's the Moderna vaccine, it comes in 10 dose vials and the vial has to be used up or discarded 5 hours after the first stick.

JHC

sounds like typical government handling of everything they get control of , i just hope those that need it get it in time and it works for them as it is supposed to , 

I’m surprised the schedule is that advanced that they’re givin it to 65+ already.

Colorado schedule  has us maybe in March or April. They’re not anywhere near through doing the medical staffs yet. And our population is much smaller than Florida.

12 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

F0or the first shot, agree get it out there to however can benefit based on priority.

Remember you do need a second shot, this is where logistics becomes important! Cant give your second shot to someone else as a first shot or your  first shot is wasted. (90 days for this to get figured out). Make your appointment for your second shot early!

Appointment already made. When I got the first shot.

Thanks

kR

UPDATE:

Excerpts from the ORLANDO SENTINEL

"Seniors in Lake and other Florida counties overwhelmed websites and phone lines this week looking to get vaccinated."

"The state health department in Lake received about 3,000 doses of the Moderna vaccine,..."

"Lake initially asked people to call to make appointments, but the health department phone system crashed because so many tried to get through on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Lake has about 100,000 people who are 65 and older."

People giving the shots here are Nurses, Pharmacists etc. Best I know they are not govt employees. They are using the vaccine as it comes in. Policies are probably set by govt employees, but as long as the shots are being administered in a timely manner and the vaccine is not being hoarded. I don't see the problem.

kR

I think that everyone that gets the vaccine should have an indelible red or black hash mark put on their forehead that will not wash off for 2 months. 

This way when politicians and bureaucrats stand up to tell everyone they have to wait their turn we will see where they have put themselves in the line of importance for these vaccines. 

I am betting Gavin Newsom and his ilk all across this country would have black or red marks on their foreheads RIGHT NOW!

Florida is #1 in the country for over 65 population. Like I said, they should have anticipated this.

Florida is a typical in that all people 65 & older are in 1st groups to receive the vaccines.  Pretty much the other states follow CDC guidelines & the most woke Blue states add social equity to the equation.  That is why they include health care workers in the earliest group because disadvantaged ethic groups dominate the lowest paid health care workers.  Some states split the 65 & older group not living in a nursing or assisted living facility to 65-74 and 75 & older.  Since, we are under 75, based on the slow rollout here in NV it will probably be after April before the misses & I return to pre COVID activities.

On 12/31/2020 at 7:20 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Remember you are dealing with government employees who cannot be fired.

I find this very thought running through my mind as I read the thread. 

So I am asking myself what could possibly go wrong. 

Both Dottie and I got the COVID 19 shot today. The Governor of WV has prioritized distribution to medical, then nursing homes, then emergency workers, then 80+, then school employees, then 70+, etc. They use all means available, including the National Guard. My county only had 500 doses today for 80+, first come first served, but they know how to organize. The early bird got the needle. Took a total of 2 hours. I remember in about 1950 going to the fire dept. on North Capital Street in DC and getting a sugar cube for the polio vaccine.

WV used the National Guard to cover all the states nursing homes in a week. It's nice to live in a small state where the bureaucracy is actually very effective. If elected officials screwup they are gone next election cycle.

Archived