SASS Wire Forum

What's Your Traditional New Years Day Meal.

Cypress Sun

Many folks have a "traditional" New Years Day meal, others don't or stopped the tradition for one reason or another. My family has done the Southern type meal for as long as I can remember. 

It consists of ham, blackeyed peas, rice, collard greens, cornbread and hog jowls/fatback. The hog jowls/fatback goes in the collards, peas and sometimes breaded and fried. It's supposed to bring luck in the New Year.....obviously didn't work for 2020 but I'll try again for 2021.:)

Do ya'll have a family traditional New Years Day meal that you've continued or have you created a new tradition?

Leftovers from Christmas. :o

Or pizza and brew. 

I've been single for quite some time so whatever I can get together, last year went out with some family to a restaurant. Tomorrow who knows ?? We've never had any "Special tradition" for New Years day.

New Year’s Eve we have corned beef and cabbage with potatoes. New Year’s Day, we don’t really have a traditional meal...leftover corned beef and cabbage? ;)

Usually whatever we scrounge from the fridge.  

Today, though, is special.  My paycheck hit the bank a day early so we went to Safeway at 0600. (the boss gave us this week off, shut down the shop, gotta use PTO, but still...)

I have a pot of Chicken & Vegetable Soup going and it should be ready for lunch.  We bought some beef ribs which I peeled, cut to fit in the crock pot, gave a good rub, topped with a sliced onion, a packet of Lipton Onion Soup mix, some Jim Beam Rye, and a little Pinot Grigio.  Should be ready about sunset.  

Got 10 lbs of pork shoulder in the smoker since early this morning         GW

Our traditional meal on New Years day was brunch,  with ham, bacon, sausages, eggs, Scottish potato scones and baked beans served buffet style.

Then we would watch the Rose Bowl parade followed by a bowl game or six. Dinner my mom would order in some Chinese or pizza

1 hour ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've been single for quite some time so whatever I can get together, last year went out with some family to a restaurant. Tomorrow who knows ?? We've never had any "Special tradition" for New Years day.

What he said.

Traditionally breakfast would have been smoked fish, herring, eggs, bacon rye bread , bagels cream cheese. Dinner would be beef or a ham maybe a pork loin plus beans or lentils a potato, salad and a vegetable all delicious. Cookies and cake and probably wine, beer. 

This year its lox, bagels, cream cheese smoked white fish and an egg casserole for brunch, dinner is Puerto Rican pernil I need to get it in the oven about 8am for dinner about 5pm, Cuban black beans and rice, roasted Brussel sprouts with bacon and fresh garlic, a salad  and maybe beer & wine. 

Dessert will be chocolates and cordials maybe an espresso. Happy and Healthy New Year to you and yours !!!

For 35 years straight we've had a New Years Day party with family and about 5 close couples who have attended for years. We make and bake pizza from scratch, using  a recipe from an old Time/Life Italian cookbook that has become stained and battered with use down the years.

We make all sorts of combos, and keep baking throughout the afternoon and evening. Italian sausage, peppers, mushrooms, anchovies, artichoke hearts, capers, pepperoni, and other things, in various iterations and combinations.

Alas, this year it will just be immediate family, but in our case that's a pretty big group in itself.

Don’t have one. New Years isn’t a big deal for us.

For a number of years now, we have had Chinese from a local restaurant, one of the only restaurants open on New Year's Day. A few months ago, I mentioned it to a new girl that works there, and evidently it is a tradition for a number of locals.

I used to make Tamales starting a few days before the 1st. Well, starting at some point just after Christmas.

Do all the shopping, need lots of stuff!

Seed and grind the chilis, and a bunch of other prep. One day.

Make the actual sauce. Kitchen fan a must! This stuff qualifies as HazMat! One day.

Cook the port shoulder. This is easy, Remember to put it in the oven in the morning low and slow, remember to take it out to cool much later, and then refrigerate when it has "settled." One day.

Then Masa day! Make the filling. And soak the husks, and spread and stuff for several hours, and make stacks and stacks, and freeze most of them. And eat a few. New Years Day.

Alas, it has been about 5 or 6 years since I made them. Maybe next year.

Our church normally has a traditional Southern meal: fried pork chops, greens, black-eye peas, cornbread, cracklin' and lots of desserts.

This is not a normal year.

Our option will be a New Year's soup: cubed pork, black-eye peas, carrots, celery, and a white gravy base.  Greens on the side.

Archived