SASS Wire Forum

Deconstructing Carthage

Subdeacon Joe

Deconstructing Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam usually abbreviated to Carthago delenda est:
"The phrase employs the gerundive, a verbal adjective, of deleo, delere, delevi, deletum, "to destroy",[2] (delendus, -a, -um). The future passive participle "delenda" (meaning "to be destroyed") is then combined with the verb sum ("to be"[3]) or parts thereof, adds an element of compulsion or necessity, yielding "is to be destroyed", or, as it is more commonly rendered "must be destroyed". This then forms a predicative adjective.[4] This construction in Latin is known as the passive periphrastic. Carthago, -inis being a feminine noun, the feminine gender of the gerundive is applied. The fuller forms Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam or Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam use the so-called accusative and infinitive for the indirect statement."

So I sez to Marcus Ophilius, “Dude, Caveat Emptor”! 

“Oh totes”, he responded. “E Pluribus Unum”. 

Then he split an infinitive and we laughed and laughed.

5 minutes ago, Dusty Wyatt said:

I must have been absent from school that day.

That can screw up everything. In tenth grade, I dropped my pencil in geometry class and bent over to get it. By the time I sat back up the teacher had apparently imparted the secret of math and I missed it. I never caught up.

1 hour ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

always wondered about that

I ask TN Williams about this just yesterday and he said carthage and calsip buildup in his knee needs to be

destroyed.    He was looking for a Latin doctor to perform the surgery.

The ole boy ain't right.

:D

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Illegitimas non carborundum. :rolleyes: :P

Words to live by.  :D

The best advice my Father ever gave me. Used to carry business cards with that on the back! :D

On the front it said “Courtesy is the Calling Card of a Gentleman.”

that was to remind me not to act in kind to the ‘Illegitimas’.

CJ

6 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I'm having a hard time with this.  Is this ecclesiastic Latin or classical Latin?

I am not sure, but I don’t think it is pig Latin.

Archived