SASS Wire Forum

Which caliber would you choose 270win, 280 rem, 7mm08, 308, 30-06

Perro Del Diablo

Take what you shoot best!! Caliber is insignificant in the cartridges you mentioned. I am a big believer in use what you already have, whatever that might be.

Bugler

.300 Rook.  Definitely .300 Rook.:P

Seriously, there's not a nickel's worth of difference between any of them while in the field.  Oh, there's some minor differences between them on paper but, from a practical standpoint in the field, it's 6 of one, a half a dozen of the other.  You're the only one that will know which one you used because not even the butcher or the taxidermist will be able to tell the difference.

.338 Winchester Magnum in a BAR has worked for me. Now, I need to win tag lottery in Idaho. 

:angry:

7 hours ago, sassnetguy50 said:

That would be an overly complex action, degrading the reliability of the bolt action.  

What about a rotating bolt straight pull with the handle on a bolt carrier? Bolt rotates to lock into the lugs and all the handle does is move it back and forth? 

To swap it,  pull the carrier and bolt, move the handle to the other side and reassemble.

That wouldn't fix the problem of the ejection being angled towards the (probably) left handed shooter,  but it does take care of the bolt manipulation issue.

Hands down the .270 Remington 700. I used it for years in the Colorado mountains, gave it to my son for his first gun and he has passed it on to his son.

Ah the memories attached to that rifle.

Coyote Kid

I am fond of model 70 Winchester action. I’ve shot most of the calibers I listed alone with other actions. My first rifle was a 70 in 30-06 but neck problems I’m not comfortable with that much recoil right now. I plan to have a muzzle brake and recoil pad on so I can use it again. This year I was able take 11 point buck, 60 lb hog and an axis doe with my Kimber 257 Roberts. My daughter took a 225 lb red deer hine with her Remington 700 in 243. She has decided to move up in caliber for larger animals and possibly longer distance. I have definitely decided Hornady SST bullets will be regulated to varmint only as performance was not what I had hoped. Sierra tipped gameking however I have been quite impressed. 

On 1/1/2021 at 10:24 AM, Trailrider #896 said:

Most hunters (myself included) can shoot about 6 minutes of angle under hunting conditions.  That's 18 inches at 300 yards, assuming the rifle has zero minutes accuracy, which it probably doesn't.  Therefore, I wouldn't take shots beyond 300 yds even on elk!  I'm a .30-06 man from the day I got my first bigbore rifle, 60 years ago!  I wouldn't have a .308 simply due to the potential for mixing up ammo and getting a .308 round in one of my -06's. If I had started with .308 that would have been okay!

I am not picking a fight, but the hunters I hunt with these days would consider 6 moa totally unacceptable with today's equipment and ammunition. I have 5 big game rifles (.25-06, 257 Wby, 30-06, .300 wby and 243) and all shoot sub 1 moa out to 500 yards. I have worked hard tuning my rifles and developing my own handloads for each one of them. I personally limit myself to 400 yards or less while hunting, but shoot for fun out to 7 or 8 hundred yards. I can consistantly shoot groups with every rifle of 5 to 6 INCHES at 500 yards as long as conditions are good. I find that wind is the biggest variable, not my equipment. 

Just sayin..............

1 hour ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I am not picking a fight, but the hunters I hunt with these days would consider 6 moa totally unacceptable with today's equipment and ammunition. I have 5 big game rifles (.25-06, 257 Wby, 30-06, .300 wby and 243) and all shoot sub 1 moa out to 500 yards. I have worked hard tuning my rifles and developing my own handloads for each one of them. I personally limit myself to 400 yards or less while hunting, but shoot for fun out to 7 or 8 hundred yards. I can consistantly shoot groups with every rifle of 5 to 6 INCHES at 500 yards as long as conditions are good. I find that wind is the biggest variable, not my equipment. 

Just sayin..............

No problem.  As I mentioned, it isn't the equipment.  It probably isn't the hunter...under ideal conditions.  With a good solid rest and with your heart rate and breathing calm, no doubt you can shoot under 6 minutes...maybe even out to 1,000 yds.  Heck, some of the snipers, using .50 BMG in a Barrett are getting kills beyond 1 click!  But, as you said, when the wind is kicking up...variable and from varying directions, and after running up the side of a mountain or fighting the terrain, that is when the spread gets wider.  When I was much younger and in condition, I still would limit my shots to 300 yds...under the best of conditions.  Ever try to hit a running antelope at 350 yds?  One time, led the lead buck in a five animal herd by three lengths when they were running flat out across my field of vision.  I was shooting 150 gr .30-06 from a M70 with a Weaver K-4 scope.  The shot kicked up dust behind the last "goat".  Never touched any of them.  Them critters can run!  One time we were driving an Air Force truck at 55 mph (I looked at the speedometer).  A pronghorn was running along side of us, pulled ahead, crossed the road in front, without my driver having time to hit the brakes!  Critter crossed the road, slid to its knees to get under a bob'wore fence and was still running. :o 

Stay well and safe, Pard!

I will be 80 on my next birthday, so we are in the same boat. I learned many, many years ago to pick my shots and running game animals is not one that I take. I don't like to wound an animal and spend hours chasing it and it suffering. I have shot an antelope at 440 yards (measured with my rangefinder) from a prone position. As I mentioned in my post, wind is the biggest variable for sure. I have probably shot over 100 deer and antelope and look forward to Wyoming again next year.

Did not get to go this year because of Covid, but here is my antelope from 2019.1767391288_2012WyomingantelopeandRoger2.thumb.JPG.8165e6bdf3b9cea23e2adc2f7246c0b9.JPG

Archived