SASS Wire Forum

non SASS gun?

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Go the Winchester home page https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70/model-70-Current-Products.html

And peruse the featherweight and compact models, select your caliber, and get your dealer to order.  You won't regret it ever!

I could be wrong, I've been wrong before, so I'm told.  I bought my son a model 7 many years ago.  Best I can recall is that the model 7 was a youth model.  Or at least they made it in a youth model because that is what I got him.  .243 does like a bit longer barrel.  Sounds like a sweet set up,

23 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Okay, so here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Remington Model 7 action with a 19: barrel chambered for .243.

Controlled feed magazine / bolt if possible. "

"Teaspoon" bolt handle if possible and mounted about1 12" further forward than normal.  Not sure if this is feasible.

Double compound set triggers like on the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.  Will probably need a larger trigger guard to accommodate this.  May also not be feasible.

No floor plate if I can avoid it.  Certainly not a hinged plate.

Custom full Männlicher Stock with small European style cheek rest and a schnabel-type nose cap of blued steel, ivory, or cast Kirksite.  The grip cap should match the nose cap.

Gold dot front ramp sight.

MS style sling swivels.

Black or brown rubber butt and no spacers.

Bright blue metal except for the bolt and triggers.

Semi-gloss oil finish on stock.

Still in the wind are sights, stock checkering, and type of sling (carrying strap in my case.).

How does this sound so far?

Well , right off , the Remington actions are push-feed ; for a controlled-feed easiest choice would be Ruger 77.  The bolt handle on the old M-S could be where it was because it had a split bridge action. None of the modern actions will allow that middle of the bolt placement. You could get a custom "tea-spoon" bolt handle , but it will be on the rear of the bolt. Double-set trigger is probably going to take some searching , too.

You have an uphill battle ahead , 40 , so  Good Luck. I understand nostalgia , but it sometimes gets in the way of practical. 

Rex :D

Mannlichers/Steyr rifles are often available through the Cabelas Gun Library. Though a later model, this one might interest you: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/100931065

There is an older model M-S in .270 also available: https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/100867678

Around 10 years ago Cabelas must have bought up number of collections/estates with M-S rifles as they had a fair number available through their "Gun Library". I found a very nice mid-1960s MCA model in 270 and its been my main hunting rifle ever since. It originally had a very worn Leopold VXII 2-7 power scope on a Griffen & Howe quick detachable mount. I replaced the old Leopold with a Trijicon 3x9 Accupoint.

2018 UP Buck.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2020 at 1:34 PM, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Tikka, Remington 700 or a Sako action would get my nod. No particular order.

A win 70 featherweight in 257 Roberts would be very appealing to me.

But why not this 257?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887837778

Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1952 Carbine .257 Roberts, 95%, layaway-img-0

Y'know, I like the 257 Roberts and the gun is close. but I can have one built like I want on a Remington Model 7.  Might have a fit or two getting those double set compound triggers, but everything is doable for a lot less money.  As a matter of fact I have my eye on a used rifle that can be modified....if I can just talk the man out of it.

Archived