SASS Wire Forum

non SASS gun?

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

15 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Where do I go to ask about this gun?

How 'bout here...?  What gun?   :)

Okay, here goes.  

Many years ago I had a 1903 Mannlicher Schonauer carbine in .6.5 x 54 MS.  It had a full Mannlicher stock with a steel nose cap, a compound double set trigger, a cheek rest that didn't stick up above the rest of the stock, and a 4x German scope (Zeiss?) with those claw mounts.  It had a very handy 19" barrel.  The sling swivel was a fixed  1.25" carrying a  tooled leather strap, and the bolt handle was a "teaspoon" design about halfway forward on the bolt.

I sold it because the ammo became very scarce.

I'm looking to have a rifle made in a short action, but don't know enough about this sort of gun to select a caliber.  I'm thinking maybe .243 or  .257 Roberts.....if such is still available it would be my first choice.  I can forego the set trigger and the bolt handle, and I don't want a scope.

There is a local smith who does real great work on the actions, but farms his wood stock work out to an old guy who was a master woodworker on Noah's Ark.  He has the most gorgeous piece of European walnut you can imagine...and he has agreed to hold it for me.

I need a suggestion for an action.  The only bolt guns I'm ever remotely familiar with are the Remington ABL /BDL series, model 70 Winchester, and the Savage M-110.  I don't know if there is a short action version in any of these.  Is the Ruger M77 a good choice and any others you might think of?

I doubt that I'll ever hunt with this piece because my legs just won't allow that any more, but it may be the last really nice rifle I ever buy and because I want it.

Mauser action is probably the best bolt ever designed in my opinion. I think a Remington 798 action in .243 would be a good choice.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Okay, here goes.  

Many years ago I had a 1903 Mannlicher Schonauer carbine in .6.5 x 54 MS.  It had a full Mannlicher stock with a steel nose cap, a compound double set trigger, a cheek rest that didn't stick up above the rest of the stock, and a 4x German scope (Zeiss?) with those claw mounts.  It had a very handy 19" barrel.  The sling swivel was a fixed  1.25" carrying a  tooled leather strap, and the bolt handle was a "teaspoon" design about halfway forward on the bolt.

I sold it because the ammo became very scarce.

I'm looking to have a rifle made in a short action, but don't know enough about this sort of gun to select a caliber.  I'm thinking maybe .243 or  .257 Roberts.....if such is still available it would be my first choice.  I can forego the set trigger and the bolt handle, and I don't want a scope.

There is a local smith who does real great work on the actions, but farms his wood stock work out to an old guy who was a master woodworker on Noah's Ark.  He has the most gorgeous piece of European walnut you can imagine...and he has agreed to hold it for me.

I need a suggestion for an action.  The only bolt guns I'm ever remotely familiar with are the Remington ABL /BDL series, model 70 Winchester, and the Savage M-110.  I don't know if there is a short action version in any of these.  Is the Ruger M77 a good choice and any others you might think of?

I doubt that I'll ever hunt with this piece because my legs just won't allow that any more, but it may be the last really nice rifle I ever buy and because I want it.

I heartily recommend the older tang safety Ruger 77 RS.  This is one with factory irons.  Older 700 ADL and BDL made in the 60's and 70's would be my second choice as well as the Winchester 70 Classic Featherweight...a post 64 rifle with the pre-64 Mauser type extractor.  Older Sako's and Brownings made by FN too.

You’re singing my song, Forty. 

At one time Ruger made a 77 as a Mannlicher carbine.

.243 or .308. 

Full length stock with an ebony schnabel tip. 

Sure was pretty but didn’t have the coin. 

Im biased towards the 77 action, but you can’t go wrong with any of your choices. 

Tikka, Remington 700 or a Sako action would get my nod. No particular order.

A win 70 featherweight in 257 Roberts would be very appealing to me.

But why not this 257?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887837778

Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1952 Carbine .257 Roberts, 95%, layaway-img-0

Howdy,

Have you considered chamber in .44 magnum?

It could be a hunting gun or a not so expensive plinker.

Bill Ruger took a lot of game with this caliber.

And the Ruger action would seem fine.

Just a thought.

Best

CR

Just remember a while back 44 Win was considered state of the art for a time.

And 44 Mag outdoes 44-40 by a good bit.

I find the less expensive the ammo the more a gun gets shot.

9 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Have you considered chamber in .44 magnum?

It could be a hunting gun or a not so expensive plinker.

Bill Ruger took a lot of game with this caliber.

And the Ruger action would seem fine.

Just a thought.

Best

CR

Because then it would be a long pistol -not a fine, beautiful, sleek, lovingly built, drooled on rifle.... B)

48 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Tikka, Remington 700 or a Sako action would get my nod. No particular order.

A win 70 featherweight in 257 Roberts would be very appealing to me.

But why not this 257?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887837778

Mannlicher-Schoenauer 1952 Carbine .257 Roberts, 95%, layaway-img-0

Three strikes against it:

Those horrible things growing out of the top.

I don't much like Gun Broker.

It's way out of my price range.

Just now, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Three strikes against it:

Those horrible things growing out of the top.

I don't much like Gun Broker.

It's way out of my price range.

Take the rings off.

Have a dealer get it off GB for you.

Sell a kidney?

sir 

get a Mauser , I am pretty sure you can fin a nice 96 Swede or a 98 in 7x57 at a decent price 

I saw a real nice Swede at a show middle of Dec , I could have picked up for $550 , mil dress , looked to be a great bore , too close to Christmas or I would have it 

saw a 93 Mauser , at the same show , drilled and tapped , with base and rings , no scope , $475 , sportized 

the second custom I had built was a Whitworth mark X , in 243 , that action is a Yugo , Mauser 98 (large ring) 

I detest push feed actions , control feed is the only type action for a dangerous game rifle 

Chickasaw 

Other than for CAS I can’t see getting a rifle in a pistol caliber. That’s just me.

Opinions in a model 7 Remington?  They may have made one in the configuration I'm looking for and the action is considerable shorter and smaller that the 700.  I'd take one if I could find it a decent price and save a lot of money by reconfiguring a few things rather than having the whole shebang built up for me.

My first bolt gun was a pre-64 Win mdl 70 that my father bought.  I currently have a latest production Mdl 70 FW in 270.

We're I to do it over I'd have probably bought it in .243 (short action) just because it's more practical for the heavy brush

out here in the Pacific North West.

The new mdl 70's have made some fantastic leaps, both into the past and into the future.

The controlled feed is great to have back, and the triggers are amazing and easily tuned/adjusted.

L1001057-1.thumb.jpg.b71f12bd4ed3b1b9512d06dfb6cde7a1.jpg

If I was building a one-off, I'd go with the Win in .243 and have some beautiful wood made for it.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-70/model-70-Current-Products/model-70-featherweight.html

In blued steel it should run about $800 - $900.  Mine came with their Grade III wood, but it was a limited run for one year.

On 12/31/2020 at 9:21 AM, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

...I need a suggestion for an action.  The only bolt guns I'm ever remotely familiar with are the Remington ABL /BDL series, model 70 Winchester, and the Savage M-110.  I don't know if there is a short action version in any of these.  Is the Ruger M77 a good choice and any others you might think of?...

Yes, the Savage 110 comes as a Savage 10 in short action.  The general rule (up to ~2yr ago) is 3 digit models are long action, 2 digit models are short action.  It doesn’t sound like you’re looking for a Savage.  They are great guns and reliable through rugged terrain but not a buttery retirement rifle.  The Remington 700 and derivatives will offer the most options because of the aftermarket support.  The Ruger 77 is a wonderful rifle and is my recommendation based on the limited information.  

243 Winchester will be economical and easily sourced compared with 257 Roberts.  Since you already sold a kidney, 223 Remington is another choice: more economical, less sound, recoil, weight.

13 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Opinions in a model 7 Remington?  They may have made one in the configuration I'm looking for and the action is considerable shorter and smaller that the 700.  I'd take one if I could find it a decent price and save a lot of money by reconfiguring a few things rather than having the whole shebang built up for me.

I had a model 673 in .308. The Remington 673 is based on the model 7 action. I thought the bolt throw was lousy, but it was the only one I have ever tried so maybe mine was just a bad unit. My Enfield No.4 Mk 1 and my 1917 had much better actions than that 673. I sold it. 

I have very limited bolt action experience. 

Okay, so here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Remington Model 7 action with a 19: barrel chambered for .243.

Controlled feed magazine / bolt if possible. "

"Teaspoon" bolt handle if possible and mounted about1 12" further forward than normal.  Not sure if this is feasible.

Double compound set triggers like on the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.  Will probably need a larger trigger guard to accommodate this.  May also not be feasible.

No floor plate if I can avoid it.  Certainly not a hinged plate.

Custom full Männlicher Stock with small European style cheek rest and a schnabel-type nose cap of blued steel, ivory, or cast Kirksite.  The grip cap should match the nose cap.

Gold dot front ramp sight.

MS style sling swivels.

Black or brown rubber butt and no spacers.

Bright blue metal except for the bolt and triggers.

Semi-gloss oil finish on stock.

Still in the wind are sights, stock checkering, and type of sling (carrying strap in my case.).

How does this sound so far?

10 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Okay, so here's what I've narrowed it down to:

Remington Model 7 action with a 19: barrel chambered for .243.

Controlled feed magazine / bolt if possible. "

"Teaspoon" bolt handle if possible and mounted about1 12" further forward than normal.  Not sure if this is feasible.

Double compound set triggers like on the Lyman Great Plains Rifle.  Will probably need a larger trigger guard to accommodate this.  May also not be feasible.

No floor plate if I can avoid it.  Certainly not a hinged plate.

Custom full Männlicher Stock with small European style cheek rest and a schnabel-type nose cap of blued steel, ivory, or cast Kirksite.  The grip cap should match the nose cap.

Gold dot front ramp sight.

MS style sling swivels.

Black or brown rubber butt and no spacers.

Bright blue metal except for the bolt and triggers.

Semi-gloss oil finish on stock.

Still in the wind are sights, stock checkering, and type of sling (carrying strap in my case.).

How does this sound so far?

Well, it’s not everything you asked for but here’s something that isn’t a Unicorn...

https://www.budsgunshop.com/mobile/product/94777/redirect

They are out there. 

The .243 needs a Longer Barrel to make decent powder , start cutting the barrel and you loose performance big time ...

.243 With a 24 inch Barrel is an OK , deer gun , Cut it to 22 inches Better limit shots to under 200 yards, Cut it to 20 inches better limit it to smaller Deer at 150 yards or less ,,,, Cut to less than 20 inches better have someone back you up ...

Now I must confess that Deer up here tend to have rather large bodies , live weights exceeding 500 pounds are certainly not unheard of ....

The largest Mulie I have been a part of live weighing, weighed 543 pounds this was in May and by September according to the charts he should have weighed in around 580 ...    The Biggest Whitetail Weighed in at 527 pounds also in the month of May ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived