SASS Wire Forum

Some Youtube Gun Gurus are a Strange Lot.

Raylan

First there are still a lot of great Firearm channels on Youtube despite Youtube's censorship and demonitizations. A lot of intelligent and highly skilled people providing enjoyable content. But there are also some very odd almost cult like Youtube channels that have some very odd advice and opinions. 

Recently researching a new firearm for concealed carry I became aquainted with some of these channels and individuals. I'm not talking about fanboys of certain firearms or calibers but some amazing ignorance of history and myopic focus on one type of firearm. 

I noticed a tendency for instance in pistols for concealed carry for individuals to attempt to create the perfect firearm, such that they attempt of weigh down a pistol with so many bells and whistles that they try to make it a do all weapon in effect albeit without realizing it trying to make a concealed carry pistol serve in the role of a rifle also. I'm sorry I don't really need a concealed carry pistol to make 100 yard shots. Others want to make deep carry micro-pistols serve as full size carry pistols rather than last ditch self-defense weapons or backups. Some can't fathom carrying a full size service pistol for concealed carry saying it's not practical to carry one concealed. I've done that for years as have many of my friends - it really isn't that hard. One individual came across as "Mister hardcore always carry" then bemoaned in his video that he had trouble finding firearms to carry because he liked to wear tight muscle shirts and loose jogging shorts. Really, hardcore carry until it conflicts with my preferred fashion? Iron sights on a pistol are useless in self-defense you must have red dot, (maybe modern red dots are better than irons but iron sights are far from useless unless I somehow am wrong that people have been using  them successfully for centuries on their pistols). Appendix carry is they only effective way to carry a firearm concealed, gee I and thousands of others have been wrong all these years thinking that there are various ways to effectively carry concealed. Ah well, there is a lot of good information and useful videos but sometimes you just want to laugh or cry at some.

I have three favorites:

Ian McCollum, "Forgotten Weapons"  Historical and technical review of mostly military arms, from flintlocks to the most modern experimental stuff.

Mark Novak "Anvil Gunsmithing"  Master gunsmith, doing remarkable repairs and restorations.

Greg Kinman - "Hickok 45"  Just fun "ditch-bank" shooting.  low on technical stuff; just having fun shooting fun guns.

I've searched out reviews and technical data on a few specific models... there're a few good ones, but like Raylan sez, there are some mighty opinionated folk out there who just don't seem to have a clue.  :rolleyes:

Firearms oriented channels I'm subscribed to:

Hickok45

Paul Harrell**
Honest Outlaw**

Forgotten Weapons w/ Ian McCollum, aka Gun Jesus**

The Gun Collective

Colion Noir**

Kirsten Joy Weiss**

Lucky Gunner Ammo**

Jerry Miculek

Wilson Combat

Ernest Langdon

The Humble Marksman

Target Suite

Ron Spomer Outdoors

Mixup98

Plus the channels geared more toward us Cowboy Action types:

duelist1954

Dutch Wheeler

Jed iTV

Little Red Sure Shot

Jokers Wild Cowboy Action

GrizzlyDaveCowboy

Among the non-CAS channels, the ones with ** are those that I will watch new videos when they pop up in my feed. Others, I will watch if time allows when they pop up. Often times, Hickok45's are simply too long for me to watch with the limited time I have. Among the Cowboy Action channels, if I see a new video, I'm watching it, and I like supporting the CAS shooters.

Always double check any assembly disassembly videos. I found on fore the disassembly of my 1887 shotgun that if done according to the video would damage the main spring. Fortunately I asked someone and they talked me through the right way.

11 minutes ago, Raylan said:

Kirsten Joy Weiss does gun videos - I've watched them but don't seem to recall the guns.

She is a great shot , not primarily why I watch , but her combined with trick shots makes for great entertainment 

Stumbled on this video - directed at beginning shooters - so much better than half the dreck out their with tacticool warriors. 

I am very happy no one has said they like that idiot “Yankee Marshal”. That guy just makes me want to find a way to get him yanked off the internet...by his nose. 

I used to watch a lot of different YouTube videos but after a time I got bored with them all. 

I do watch technical videos but I never only watch one or even two for things like firearm disassembly and before I attempt a disassembly I make sure I find videos on proper reassembly. ;)

But I prefer books for this sort of thing. 

11 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I am very happy no one has said they like that idiot “Yankee Marshal”. That guy just makes me want to find a way to get him yanked off the internet...by his nose.

I agree... he's a complete idiot. Another one I dislike is NutNfancy, who isn't an idiot but still fails to realize that his rambling 40-minute monologues put many of us to sleep.

Another good one I haven't yet seen mentioned is Sootch00, if I spelled him right. Lots of gun reviews, many of them excessively positive but still fun to watch nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I agree... he's a complete idiot. Another one I dislike is NutNfancy, who isn't an idiot but still fails to realize that his rambling 40-minute monologues put many of us to sleep.

Another good one I haven't yet seen mentioned is Sootch00, if I spelled him right. Lots of gun reviews, many of them excessively positive but still fun to watch nonetheless.

I was just gonna mention Sootch!

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

When I’m thinking about buying a certain gun my go to guy is Hickok 45.

You know you've been watching too many of his videos when you find yourself flipping your guns over and over and racking the slide a million times. :huh:

Naturally there's one I definitely miss.. Jeff Quinn's Gunblast videos. RIP Sir. :FlagAm:

4 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

He does have on of the best sign offs, "Be Strong, be of good courage. God Bless America, long live the republic."

Paul Harrell is very practical.

Lucky Gunner is relevant.

Pinker. 22 is just fun and reminds me of when rimfires were enough for me.

Hickock .45 is good but often too long.

Mike Belliveau is good and like old cowboy guns.

If you enjoy watching good machinist skills, I might recommend Heather T., aka Waffenschmiedin x   :rolleyes:  :blush:

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling        image.jpeg.e2eb0097164ed9a20d6ccb9a70e44a78.jpeg

(This is Part 1, which leads into the series)

3 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I kinda like that Canadian guy with the haystack hair and a vault of about a million bucks worth of classic rifles. Modest fellow, too.

USOG?  He's got some good stuff.  Just a little drifty when it comes to staying on topic.

Let me also nominate LeftThumbBreak.  Beautiful photography.  Pleasant viewing.

I used to record forgotten weapons before he took it upon himself to idolize every French gun ever made.  Hitchcock would be my favorite now.

On 12/31/2020 at 4:23 PM, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

I stopped watching Sootch because he LOVES every gun he reviews. 

Then you should watch the Military Arms Channel. Tim seems to be a reverse King Midas where every gun he reviews turns into a piece of s*** in his hands. I've never seen somebody pick up so many defective guns.

4 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

I also like the guy who mysteriously appears before the camera, and who seem to have the best possible piece of desert property to wander about in and shoot...

I believe that would be mixup 98.  I like him too.

On 1/1/2021 at 2:07 AM, Noz said:

I used to record forgotten weapons before he took it upon himself to idolize every French gun ever made.  Hitchcock would be my favorite now.

Alfred? ;)

Archived