SASS Wire Forum

Job change

Just now, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

After 28 years and three months my tenure at the law firm has ended.  On January 1, 2021 I will be self employed running my own law office out of my home.  I'm unemployed until then.  I can't believe how big a jackass my new boss is going to be.

Yep.  It's hard to delegate up in that situation. :)

Good Luck in your new venture. :)

If your new boss is too big of a jerk take him out and get him drunk once in a while. Maybe he’ll lighten up. :D

I’ve been my own boss for 33 years. I wouldn’t have it any other way. My boss is very good to me! He even lets me go to cowboy shoots and he even buys me guns! Great guy! :)

1 hour ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

After 28 years and three months my tenure at the law firm has ended.  On January 1, 2021 I will be self employed running my own law office out of my home.  I'm unemployed until then.  I can't believe how big a jackass my new boss is going to be.

You flatter yourself. Your new boss will be a huge jackass.

2 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

Wow, no more letters of reprimand from HR. Oh, that would be me.

Congrats! 

J. Mark,

Congratulations on extracting your self from the corporate overloads.

Success in your new venture!

CJ

And your new boss may mellow in time

J.Mark!!  Sorry I missed your call while ago!!  My jerk of a boss had me installing a new front door!!

If it hadn’t been for his wife making him behave, we might have come to blows!! :rolleyes: :o

Congrats and best of luck!!

I applaud your courage.   Career changes in our later years can be frightening.  I was self employed for 20 years, burned out with being on call 24/7, and became (horrors!) a Federal employee.  It was a good move for me, as I am sure your move will be for you.  

Good luck.  I’m expecting you to thrive!

:)

3 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

His employee is real sketchy too :lol:

OLG 

7 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

His employee is real sketchy too :lol:

OLG 

Sketchy don’t even come close!!!<_<  :lol:

My last boss was a real horses patoot.  Never paid me enough, didn't treat me well, made me work horrible hours and seldom let me have any time off.  He never listened to me, almost never did what was best for me, interfered with my meals and time with my family and friends, and wasn't very forgiving.  I had no benefits, no retirement plan, no insurance, and no real hope for it ever getting any better.  I was there for eleven years.

That's when I sold the business and retired.

J Mark:

Congrats!  It takes testicular fortitude to make the leap; I hope it works out well.

A couple of hard-learned insights from someone who did the same thing:

• Make some time to see/talk with other lawyers; harder in this pandemic, but still doable with Zoom and such.  It's tempting to cuddle up in your home office, but you need some human contact to share ideas, stay current and stay sane;
  • Establish a "done for the day" time, and respect it; it's too easy, with your office upstairs, to work longer days; you need to say "enough", and go do something else (non-legal) for a bit; it will all be there tomorrow;
  • My best tools are (were) a well maintained computer ( I kept a consultant relationship with my firm's IT guy, and gave him on-line access to install updates and resolve problems - money well spent) and the best scanner/printer I could afford; with the right software, you can save tons of time scanning every piece of paper that comes in the door  and having it instantly available when you need it.  If you let a pile of mail develop, you will be quickly buried and left searching through stacks;
  • Don't waste money on a library; just about everything you will need is on-line, including forms, Rules, statutes, agency regs, etc. - just make sure the site you use is up-to-date;
  • Keep your sense of humor; you will need it; it is not a bad thing to be able to laugh at your own predicament from time-to-time;

I enjoyed working for myself.  A bit more stressful than working for a firm, but definately liberating.  And when the checks come in, you do not have to split the fee.

Best,

LL

J. Mark,

Best of luck in your future endeavor.

Like the song says....

Good luck. I'm fully retired but do keep my law license active on general principles. I have no office infrastructure, no staff, no trust account, and no malpractice insurance, and thus no temptation at all to practice or give legal advice to anybody!

But when I write a cranky letter to one representative or councilmember or another, I can say "Attorney at Law", so maybe they'll read it. Maybe....

Day one was productive.  Sitting here waiting on a Court hearing to start by telephone now, but the Judge is running behind.  Hard to get much done when you know you are going to have to stop suddenly, but thank you all for the best wishes, the good advice and the insults, they keep me motivated and smiling.

I admire those who work for themselves.  I’ve given my work life to the same employer for the past 44 years and I can’t wait to retire.

Archived