SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch Pistol Sights

Bo Bender

I am going to try shooting Wild Bunch this season, I've read through the rule book and I have only one question.  Are these sights legal in the "traditional" class? They are the factory Remington R1 1911/A1 sights, but my concern was the white dots. If the white dots are a problem can I just paint them black to make them legal?

16093643798604128004008514178175.jpg

I tried using the black pens like the cold blue pens to darken the dots. The dots were too slick...all of a sudden while shooting...a dot would become white again. Finally took a scribe and scratched off the white. No more problems. I did that on both a Springfield mil-spec and an R-1 Remington 

Legal, just black 'em out. 

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice on that sight - it's held in place by a small set screw, and if that screw comes loose, the sight slides out and falls off. It is NOT a press-fit dovetail like most dovetails. I found mine, and when I reinstalled it, I used a Loctite soaked paper shim to tighten it up and secure it. Along with the set screw, it isn't coming off accidentally anymore. ;)

1 hour ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

You might want to check the beavertail grip requirements. The picture appears to have an extended grip safety. If so, that os not legal in Traditional. Not an expert , so please verify with the rule book. Just my 2 cents.

Fox

This gun is WB legal for Traditional as long as the dots are blacked out. It does not have the Beavertail grip safety.

Tully

Another option i use is black finger nail polish. When it dries use a clear coat nail polish over it...if u ever want to remove it all u need is nail polish remover.

Some people have the mistaken impression that a “Traditional” pistol must have the semi-invisible sights found on military issue 1911s.  Not so-the standard R1 shown here and the Springfield Mil-Spec have what I call “hardball” sights that are much easier to see.  You will need to use the sights in Wild Bunch.

3 hours ago, SHOOTIN FOX said:

You might want to check the beavertail grip requirements. The picture appears to have an extended grip safety. If so, that os not legal in Traditional. Not an expert , so please verify with the rule book. Just my 2 cents.

Fox

Here's an example of a beavertail grip safety - a very different profile.

BeavertailSafety.jpg

11 hours ago, Crusty Knees said:

Do the White Dots have to be blacked out in the Modern Category?

Rules have not changed on the sights section of Modern Category requirements.  Dots on the sights are fine.    Fluorescent light bar type sights are still illegal.  See the rules.

That grip safety on the Rem R1 is legal for Traditional.   It's not a beavertail.

Good luck, GJ

On 12/30/2020 at 4:53 PM, Three Foot Johnson said:

Legal, just black 'em out. 

Here's a nickel's worth of free advice on that sight - it's held in place by a small set screw, and if that screw comes loose, the sight slides out and falls off. It is NOT a press-fit dovetail like most dovetails. I found mine, and when I reinstalled it, I used a Loctite soaked paper shim to tighten it up and secure it. Along with the set screw, it isn't coming off accidentally anymore. ;)

I remember that!  It was quite a show.:D

Archived