SASS Wire Forum

Colorado is a lousy place to move to!

Trailrider #896

14 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

That’s why I am leaving Colorado.  Too much traffic, too many people.  Hard to do the things I moved there to do.   Recreational pot has tripled the homeless population.  Definitely gone down hill rapidly over the last 5 years. 

My master's thesis was essentially an indictment of the management at the Colorado Springs Police Department.  I showed how the city went from top 10% safest cities in America (when crime rates are adjusted to a per capita baseline) to the bottom 10% between 2005-2015.  Then I looked at 40 different management practices that have been studied repeatedly, and have been shown to have direct correlations with upticks or downticks in crime.  Then I demonstrated how the management was doing all the wrong things.  Hence, increased crime.  While correlation is not necessarily causation, when you have 40 of them and all trend in the wrong direction, it strongly implies causation.  In a time when national crime was trending downward -- even in big cities and crime ridden cesspools -- Colorado Springs was spiking hard the wrong direction.

Another study not related to my thesis demonstrated a police officer in Colorado Springs does 10 TIMES the amount of work as compared to a Denver police officer in a one-year period.  And they do it for $12,000 less per year, for a management team that is both woefully incompetent as well as corrupt.  

10 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Have you seen what has happened to Michigan??? :(

Yes! Too bad for them. Ohio has always been more red than Michigan though. 

Hardpan has some great California experiences for sure. I am a 4th generation Californio and retired and moved to SW Colorado 20 years ago,. I loved California as I grew up in the 50's. My family hunted, fished, camped and traveled the entire state. Over the years, things changed (not for the better). 

Things here in Colorado have undergone a big change also. For me if you split the state in half following the continental divide, things would be a hell of a lot better for us here in the western part of Colorado.. I only live about 30 miles from Utah Bob and love it here. Would I relocate here now? Probably not. Wyoming was my second choice and that would probably be my choice now. Colorado Springs, Denver & Boulder control the state. All you have to do is look at the recent Wolf Relocation Referendum to see it. 

I am old enough (Next birthday I'll be 80) that relocation is really not an option. I'll make it to the end here and love it , along with all it's blemishes and warts.

1950110765_FallColores012.thumb.JPG.48c1067853127e9d44dddac95d5f31d5.JPG411429773_FallColores001.thumb.JPG.41c66f35b62ff501cc1a0469b97f5def.JPG

43 minutes ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

Colorado Springs, Denver & Boulder control the state. All you have to do is look at the recent Wolf Relocation Referendum to see it. 

For those not in the know, voters approved a measure to re-introduce wolves into the wild here.  The urban leftists in Denver and Boulder were the ones supporting it, and they outnumber the rest of the state.  All of us rural people -- especially ranchers -- think it's a horrible idea.  I've always been an ethical, law-abiding hunter, but I promise you I'm going to kill every wolf I see.

My son had a great counter to this.  Since these idiots just voted to put predators in our backyard, let's introduce a referendum to put grizzly bears in downtown Denver and Boulder.  

There is a path to sanity but it requires a decades long concerted battle to

1) Take back the education system by fostering generations of conservative teachers at all

2) Infiltrate and overtake mass media

3) Promote and initiate an honest debate of ideas akin to William F Buckley

4) Folks with a big pair foregoing wealth for serving the Republic

5) The swamp must be drained the bureaucracy purged 

The short sidedness of basing political planning on 2 year election cycles undermines achieving any substantial long term goals

56 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

For those not in the know, voters approved a measure to re-introduce wolves into the wild here.  The urban leftists in Denver and Boulder were the ones supporting it, and they outnumber the rest of the state.  All of us rural people -- especially ranchers -- think it's a horrible idea.  I've always been an ethical, law-abiding hunter, but I promise you I'm going to kill every wolf I see.

My son had a great counter to this.  Since these idiots just voted to put predators in our backyard, let's introduce a referendum to put grizzly bears in downtown Denver and Boulder.  

Predators come in all shapes and sizes. Don't do that to the Grizzly. Instead release prisoners of the violent sorts into their urban environment and posh suburban backyards and see how they like them predators... tit for tat, right?

Keep the Grizzlies away from the idiots, please. ;)

Colorado is an absolutely Beautiful State. Use to go there every year for vacation, even in the winter. Always in the S.W. portion of the state. Wife graduated at S.W. Colorado State in Gunnysack. Even back in the 60's everyone from Colorado said nothing but snobs in Denver. Denver just an suburb of California as to what I was told. 

23 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Colorado is an absolutely Beautiful State. Use to go there every year for vacation, even in the winter. Always in the S.W. portion of the state. Wife graduated at S.W. Colorado State in Gunnysack. Even back in the 60's everyone from Colorado said nothing but snobs in Denver. Denver just an suburb of California as to what I was told. 

Gunnysack????  I think you meant Gunnison :)

17 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Colorado is an absolutely Beautiful State. Use to go there every year for vacation, even in the winter...

Agree. I have been vacationing there for my entire life and never get tired of it. I just stay away from Denver and Boulder and pretty much everything North of I 70 until you get to around Glenwood Springs.

I probably have one of the few Jeeps around my area that actually gets used properly. Hundreds of miles in the back country done on hiking boots or an ATV or my Jeep have brought more scenic and peaceful locations and memories than I can count. I don't snow ski anymore but I miss it. I do however still explore and hike in the winter in the Colorado Rockies.

As messed up as the politics and politicians are in the big city there it won't keep me away from the Rocky Mountains. ;)

3 minutes ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Gunnysack????  I think you meant Gunnison :)

Those who have lived in Gunnison pronounce it Gunnysack. At least my wife did.:rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Agree. I have been vacationing there for my entire life and never get tired of it. I just stay away from Denver and Boulder and pretty much everything North of I 70 until you get to around Glenwood Springs.

I probably have one of the few Jeeps around my area that actually gets used properly. Hundreds of miles in the back country done on hiking boots or an ATV or my Jeep have brought more scenic and peaceful locations and memories than I can count. I don't snow ski anymore but I miss it. I do however still explore and hike in the winter in the Colorado Rockies.

As messed up as the politics and politicians are in the big city there it won't keep me away from the Rocky Mountains. ;)

Use to camp out East of Ouray and take the 4 wheel roads into Ouray. Then back out through the Engineer Pass. This was back in the late 70's, don't know what it is like now. Then was one heck of a 4 wheeler trip. Had a 78 International Scout 2 speed 4 wheel drive. That low, low gear just crawled. Didn't even have to give it gas, it just crawled. Was a heck of a good machine.

Sadly it's rare to see the good old machines on the trails these days. But sometimes you do encounter something that makes you drool...:D

1 minute ago, Smoken D said:

Use to camp out East of Ouray and take the 4 wheel roads into Ouray. Then back out through the Engineer Pass...

After my first trek to the San Juans I was hooked. Beautiful does not begin to describe that range. I've done about 90% of the Jeep trails in the area around Ourey and Silverton and Telluride. What I haven't Jeeped I probably didn't because I did not feel like challenging the mountain was a smart idea. ;)

31 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

I don't know, Mindy was very cute

True. But people realized she was actually a character and in Hollywood. Henry Deutschendorf, however was all too real.

4 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

My master's thesis was essentially an indictment of the management at the Colorado Springs Police Department...   for a management team that is both woefully incompetent as well as corrupt.  

We lived in COS from 88 to 92.

I remember well when  Fountain had their property taxes pushed to the stratosphere when their special tax district bonds were called in.
$16,000 year property tax on an $80,000 home.
60 Minutes came out and interviewed us as well, but we never made the final segment.

The homes there were like those in Love Canal (Niagara Fallse) where the owners just walked away and left everything.
Most were military at Carson, Peterson or Falcon and lost their security clearances when they defaulted.

The crooks that ran COS at the time swooped in and picked up all those foreclosures for pennies on the dollar, after wiping away the special tax districts.

One of my close friends was a news and air personality at the time, and always commented about how corrupt the local gov't was.

Naw,  don't bring griz down here.  There are enough black bears that "all" you'd have to do is put garbage cans with rotten meat in them, and forbid CWD from relocating and euthanizing the bears when bruin starts rummaging...and breaking into cars and sliding glass doors on people's patios.  Between that and the wildfires we've been having, at least some of these people might get the idea this ain't a great place to live.  I see that a bunch of technology outfits are leaving California for Texas Elon Musk.  Just hope they don't do "it" to Texas! :angry:

Anyhow,

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Happier New Year!

On 12/30/2020 at 3:12 PM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No offense but isn’t your country pretty much all left leaning democrats ?

Nope Southern Ontario and Quebec are Our Problem This area accounts for about 7% of  our Land Mass ....

Out here In my trading area There are 10,000 People and 1,700,000 Beef Cattle ...

And I worked on a Ranch that Marketed 40,000 Steers  each fall , I rode the range on the back of horse living from Line Shack to Line Shack in the 1970s....

So in the words of a Song, I was Country ( Cowboy)  before it was Cool ...

Jabez Cowboy

17 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

Don't forget to carry a shovel or entrenching tool at all times when armed in the areas where the wolves are.

13 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Naw,  don't bring griz down here.  There are enough black bears that "all" you'd have to do is put garbage cans with rotten meat in them, and forbid CWD from relocating and euthanizing the bears when bruin starts rummaging...and breaking into cars and sliding glass doors on people's patios.  Between that and the wildfires we've been having, at least some of these people might get the idea this ain't a great place to live.  I see that a bunch of technology outfits are leaving California for Texas Elon Musk.  Just hope they don't do "it" to Texas! :angry:

Anyhow,

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Happier New Year!

Could be worse in the CA side of Lake Tahoe you either have to put out your garbage a hour before the pick-up time or buy a $750 for a single can & $1200 for a two can bear proof enclosure or an ugly Knack Box that you have to anchor to the ground with a heavy chain and security lock*.  The bear proof containers are cast into a heavy concrete block.  If a bear scatters your garbage you get fined.  The bears are so accustomed to humans & dogs that they have moved from the fringes of civilization all the way to lake side of hwy 50 between Eldorado Beach & Nevada side of the state line.  The only time the government does anything about a bear is when they break into dwellings.  I think there may be wolves or feral wolf hybrids in South Lake Tahoe.  My son & his family were staying at our family cabin last winter before the COVID and almost lost one of their westies to a huge long haired canine.  It was way to big for a coyote.   After dark they let the boys out to do their business.  They heard one scream & when daughter in law went out to investigate she saw in a flashlight beam a huge coyote/wolf looking canine disappearing into the dark forest.  In the morning they contacted the CA Dept of Fish Game to report the sighting.  They said it couldn't have been a wolf because there hadn't been in sightings in the Lake Tahoe basin.  I do now the wildlife authorities have sighted wolves northwest of North Reno.  In 10 years or less they will be in Yosemite.

* The method of securing is not for bear proofing but to prevent two legged varmints for stealing the box.  How do I know?  Been there done that.  Used a Knack box for years until disappeared.  I had it secured to a power pole guy wire vertical pole with a 1/2 chain & heavy padlock.  They left the cut chain with intact lock.

11 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Nope Southern Ontario and Quebec are Our Problem This area accounts for about 7% of  our Land Mass ....

Out here In my trading area There are 10,000 People and 1,700,000 Beef Cattle ...

And I worked on a Ranch that Marketed 40,000 Steers  each fall , I rode the range on the back of horse living from Line Shack to Line Shack in the 1970s....

So in the words of a Song, I was Country ( Cowboy)  before it was Cool ...

Jabez Cowboy

Yea but your gun laws and taxes etc.reflect the left leanings of your country although your gun laws are probably no worse than CAL., NY and NJ!:o

On 12/30/2020 at 5:08 PM, Sixgun Sheridan said:

I feel the same way about WA. This place used to be quiet and friendly, but then all the leftist anarchists took over Seattle and now they're infecting the suburbs. And that's on top of the displaced CA liberals who were messing this place up since the 1980s. Even so, I just can't leave Mt Rainier and St Helens behind and go elsewhere, although if taxes get any higher here I might eventually have to.

My kids live in a Seattle suburb.  I gave thought to moving up there to be near my kids and grandkids.  Unfortunately, my retirement won't support living there.  

23 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

They re introduced them in the UP of Michigan. They are way above the numbers they wanted to have . We had one season on them a couple of years ago. There has been constant legal wrangling about them . We are to the point again where we may be able to have a season again. 
The majority of UP residents hate them and have the SSS   “ shoot shovel and shut up “ policy. Of course the people of Detroit think it a wonderful policy. 
Here’s one that was hit by a car

7D30069E-AB34-4E1D-8D8C-6047ED94764B.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

They re introduced them in the UP of Michigan. They are way above the numbers they wanted to have . We had one season on them a couple of years ago. There has been constant legal wrangling about them . We are to the point again where we may be able to have a season again. 
The majority of UP residents hate them and have the SSS   “ shoot shovel and shut up “ policy. Of course the people of Detroit think it a wonderful policy. 
Here’s one that was hit by a car

7D30069E-AB34-4E1D-8D8C-6047ED94764B.jpeg

I'm curious.  Is that you in the pic and are you a game officer?  When I left LE, I thought about doing game enforcement instead.  I have two master's degrees, but they said I didn't have the right education!

But yes, SSS, is definitely in our future.

Just now, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I'm curious.  Is that you in the pic and are you a game officer?  When I left LE, I thought about doing game enforcement instead.  I have two master's degrees, but they said I didn't have the right education!

But yes, SSS, is definitely in our future.

Not me , but it is a Mi DNR officer . I just know allot of UP’ers 

20 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

Like John's muisc, too

I just wish he would have sung songs about L.A. instead. :D

On 12/30/2020 at 4:11 PM, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Don't be sending More of Your Left leaning DemocRats up here ,,, We got one up here in Cowboy Country and one is More than Enough...

We haven't decided if we should just shoot him or send him back ...

Jabez Cowboy  

There IS still a solution Jabez: While mentioning your first possible solution could get you on the RCMP and the CFOs watch list, these items are not registerable. Yet:

A RAIL;

A Bag of Feathers;

A Pot of Hot Tar.

Brought together in the proper proportions with enough of the rest of us, we could change things.

As for the re-introduction of Timber Wolves in an area, we had that happen here in Ontario. In an area where farmers run sheep and calves.

The Ontario MNR was warned NOT to do it, but went ahead anyway.

Farmers did not approve. 

They lost animals.

They took action.

The head of the last known Timber Wolf was wired to the door handles of the local MNR office with a warning NOT to do it again.

Made the papers around here along with a picture.

Archived