SASS Wire Forum

32-20???

Howdy

I am having an argument with a guy on another forum. He just inherited a Colt Police Positive Special chambered for 32-20. He is brand new to the cartridge and has been quoting the Starline web page, where by the way I buy all my brass. This is part of what Starline has to say regarding the 32-20:

"Designed for use in rifles and single action revolvers, this cartridge is making a strong comeback with the advent of cowboy action shooting."

To which I say bunk. My point is, despite the fact that Starline makes excellent brass, they don't know much about CAS.

I have three firearms chambered for 32-20, a Colt Police Positive Special, a S&W 32-20 Hand Ejector, and a Winchester Model 1892.

I have been shooting Cowboy since 2000 and I can recall no instance of anybody on any of my posses shooting 32-20 in pistols and/or rifles.

I just checked the rules, and yes, 32-20 is legal in both revolvers and rifles, with the usual exceptions.

So, an informal poll.

How many of you have actually shot 32-20, in either rifle or pistol or both, at a SASS Match?

Please don't tell me about your grandfather's uncle who had a 32-20 firearm, I only want first hand accounts.

Fill in is many details as you please, what firearms, how often you have shot 32-20 at a match, etc.

In my own case (no pun intended) I bought the Police Positive first, then bought some dies and bullets to reload for it.

Seeing as both my 32-20 revolvers are double action, neither of them would make for a legal SASS pistol. The Winchester would, and I intend to bring mine to a match after the Pandemic is over.

Just for fun, here are my three 32-20 firearms.

pl00dO3lj

In the past I shot a Marlin 1894 Cowboy in 32-20 and two Uberti Single Action Revolvers Chambered in it as well.  

I only met one other fella that did... He had a 73 Chambered in it as well as a set of those Ruger convertible revolvers Chambered in it.  Never me anyone else that I know of.

I know of at least 3 who shot 32-20 at the last match in Tombstone I attended. All three shot that cartridge in both revolvers and rifles. The couple shoots them in every match. There others that use that cartridge here also, it is quite common.

kR

I have a Marlin CCLTD .32-20 I take to a shoot now and then, and three full size 5 1/2" .32-20 Cattleman revolvers. Also a S&W 1905 .32-20. 

I picked up a Marlin .25-20 in March, and have shot it in three or four matches this year. Tough to find .25-20, so most of my brass is sized down .32-20.

I shoot 32-20 quite often. I have two Taylor 1873 Cattleman revolvers, a Uberti 1873 rifle, an original 1892 Winchester rifle, and a reworked for CAS Browning 53 rifle. I enjoy shooting my 32-20's better than my 38 Specials. I also have to agree with Starline. The bottleneck 32-20 got a resurgence with Cowboy Action Shooting just like the 38-40, and 44-40 did especially with black powder.

I know some shooters using 32/20 regularly. Really proud of that brace of COLTS.   Add 25/20 and then add a couple more      GW

Just picked up a '92 in 32-20 off the SASS Classifieds and shot it last Saturday for the first time (no misses).  I will shoot it a couple times a year with my brother's 1st Gen Colt 32-20.  I also have a deluxe 32-20 '73 that I haven't shot in a while because it needs extractor work (Uberti rifles have a reputation for that, since they are sized for .38/.357.  When I get that rifle running reliably it will be my go-to for BP matches when I'm trying to go fast.  When I'm just having fun at a monthly it is usually 44-40.

There have been several pards around here shooting 32-20 rifles in local matches, which I notice when brass picking.  Don't see as much in revolvers, but then I would only see that at loading or unloading table.

Starlilne's statement about the caliber making a comeback due to CAS has probably been there for 20 years.

II know of 4 people that shot it all last summer in pistols.   While it wasn't me , they were my pistols and I reloaded the ammo.   

Sorry on this one your wrong.    If it wasn't for sass shooters using the old guns and replicas you wouldn't have half the choices in ammo and components.   Just look back at when star line and other started offering the brass and components again

You can always spot the fellow that's shooting .32 WCF in his Rifle , he's watching the Brass pickers like a Hawk and one fellow I know brings two of his Grandkids to police for Brass ... The Kids don't shoot their task is getting all .32-20 brass in the bag ...

To be fair, up here .32 WCF brass used to be very hard to find and expensive, Star-line has been a real blessing ...

Only a few Folks up here can have the .32 WCF or other .32 Caliber Chambered Handguns , I am one of the Lucky ones ...

The Liberal Government gave them a Prohibited Classification so only those who had them before the law came into effect can keep them ...

But when Star-line Brass started to become available up here the .32 WCF rifles started coming out of the woodworks I have seen more of them in the past 3 years than in the proceeding 20 years ... 

Jabez Cowboy

I've got an arm load of 32-20s and shoot them occasionally in matches. 

597bddacbc3f8_Marlin189432WCFJuly2017.jpg.1cc52b168aef5998590bdb7c97a064c2.jpg18

1894 Marlin SRC in 32WCF made in 1900.

5ac8f1e6ddef9_Win92targetApril1892.jpg.26ebef9c5c327c1398634f5c664c10b4.jpg

Winchester 1892 in 32WCF. 

596a19d3b7415_CimarronLightningJuly2017.jpg.6974515bedefee8d20ec18c91f5fb7b9.jpg

These Cimarron Lightning have extra 32WCF cylinders but I've only use them with the 32 S&W.

Driftwood,

Are you positive you've never seen a person on one of your posses use a .32-20?  I could swear I've used my 73 when shooting with you at least once...

73.jpg.a18769122cfd2bb4b7b4cc2807646aab.jpg

I also have a 92 in the caliber.

92.jpg.8d8fce3d8278d4d38d81b4c90ba2a399.jpg

My most recently acquired rifle in the caliber is this very nice Colt.

3220Lightning.thumb.JPG.28f8761ac63abf5b677ecb86eeb74264.JPG

As far as pistols go, 

682599619_32-207-12Colt.thumb.JPG.0c4bd4e6201a768d25df42a5b083f412.JPG

This is a First Generation that started life as a .44-40 but has been redone as a .32-20.

Then I got this Third Generation a couple years after the above...

858302911_32-205-12Colt.thumb.JPG.daa3c0a44e5197158f83f34752376d37.JPG

A couple of years ago, I found this Smith and Wesson at a gunshow...

1139484654_3220SW.thumb.JPG.f6d2c4d7094b9a01f32e5412a5bdf4d7.JPG

I'd like to find a similar Colt, but have not done so yet.

And finally, there is this...

1083167744_186032-20.thumb.jpg.c30c1501ac4c73d0a9450d7b002be325.jpg

A real Colt 1860 from the 1860's that has been converted with what looks like a modern cylinder and new barrel assembly.  There are some odd quirks on this gun, so I'll probably letter it to find out if I can find anything out about it.

So, yeah, I shoot .32-20 every now and again.   Tell you what, Driftwood, I'll try to be shooting .32-20 next season until I see you at a shoot. 

And as I think about it, I can't say I've ever seen anyone else shooting .32-20 in the area.

The first Uberti 73 I bought was a 32-20.  Newbie, didn't know much other than the winners were shooting 73s and the price for it was about half what a new 73 was.  I don't shoot it much especially at "lost brass" matches.  Like the guy above I covet the spent brass.  Have a pair of Model P Jrs. with 32-20 and 32 H&R cylinders.  Have not used the 32-20  cylinders in them yet.  Got a pair of original colts in 32-20, guy sent some rounds along with the pistols, they're too long for the rifle but do work in the pistols.  I shoot the 32-20s (and an original 73 and a pair of colts in 38-40 also) not regularly but when I get bored and need a change.  So, specifically I guess maybe 2 or 3 matches a year.  

I can think of three folks right offhand that shoot .32-20 regular like. And the comments above regarding being watchful of their brass is spot on.

When I shot my new-to-me '92 last weekend I was a little concerned about brass because '92's often have a habit of really spraying the brass.  But this carbine was pretty well-behaved, putting most to my right rear, and of the 61 rounds for the match, I got 58 back, so I thought that was pretty good.

Folks I and my wife shoot SASS with 32WCF entirely with BP  all the time.  Me since 1996 and her since she retired in 2012

My first  was a 7-1/2 " BP Artillery (Screw pin retainer frame) I got in 1959  for $32.50   followed with an original 1873 in 1960 from the same good smith shop I was to learn a lot from, for $37.50.  Shot a lot of rockchucks and jackrabbits with them until  a 220 Swift came along!!.. Had them until 2 years ago when I was seduced by $$$$.  And my wife 'suggesting' I let other folks see them too.

In the meantime I have had, shot, tested and enjoyed most any model/manufacture you can imagine (even some S. A. and Asian take-offs) of 32WCF .  Since I have retired I have sold over 28 different  configurations in all single and double, Lever and Slide/Pump action designs.  I still kept a few of the most unusual for my great grandkids.  Who., incidentely know the values.

I now have 4 sets of Uberti 1873 Colts clones, 2 sets of Model "P" Jr (one with 32 H&R conversion) and nice feeling Pietta Colts clones; two Uberti 1873 Carbines, two 20"  Uberti Short Rifles and only one left of my  original Navy Arms 1873 long Rifles at 24".  I keep back-ups for all and at least 40 LBS of powder to keep them running.. It is the least a patriot can to preserve history.

I hope all you magnum shooters understand that a fully loaded 32WCF with the equivalent of a full case of any 3F BP and a 115gr bullet  will do in any small game, KD and ornery asshole in the world!!.

"That's all I've got to say about that"   Forrest Gump...circa..see  the movie??

Ol'  #4  "today"

3 minutes ago, Ol Number4 said:

...I now have 4 sets of Uberti 1873 Colts clones, 2 sets of Model "P" Jr (one with 32 H&R conversion) and nice feeling Pietta Colts clones; ...

Howdy Ol#4.  Are you saying those are all .32's?  I didn't know Pietta ever made 32-20 models.  Imported by...?

Abilene.

My mistake !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got them hooked with a pair of smoke wagons that came in,.  

They are Uberti's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Of course....AND NICE!!

My apologies.

ol'  #4

I had a Colt Bisley in 32-20 that I shot a few matches with, but I prefer my 38-40s. I also have original Marlin 1894 rifles in 25-20, 32-20, 38-40 and a Marlin 1894 carbine in 38-40. I have a Winchester 73 in 38-40 as well. I am still searching for a Marlin 44-40 to round out the dash caliber pistol cartridge collection.

I mostly shoot the 38-40s or my .357s. Like the others, I just hate losing 32-20 or 25-20 brass!

18 minutes ago, Ethan Cord said:

I am still searching for a Marlin 44-40 to round out the dash caliber pistol cartridge collection.

They're not particularly hard to find, you just need to fork over a wheelbarrow of cash!

Just now, Three Foot Johnson said:

They're not particularly hard to find, you just need to fork over a wheelbarrow of cash!

Which is why I don't have one yet! I did locate a 44-40 derringer though.

Anyone that owns a Nagant revolver and reloads for it will be using 32-20 brass to relolad for it.

kR

8 hours ago, Ol Number4 said:

Folks I and my wife shoot SASS with 32WCF entirely with BP  all the time.  Me since 1996 and her since she retired in 2012

My first  was a 7-1/2 " BP Artillery (Screw pin retainer frame) I got in 1959  for $32.50   followed with an original 1873 in 1960 from the same good smith shop I was to learn a lot from, for $37.50.  Shot a lot of rockchucks and jackrabbits with them until  a 220 Swift came along!!.. Had them until 2 years ago when I was seduced by $$$$.  And my wife 'suggesting' I let other folks see them too.

In the meantime I have had, shot, tested and enjoyed most any model/manufacture you can imagine (even some S. A. and Asian take-offs) of 32WCF .  Since I have retired I have sold over 28 different  configurations in all single and double, Lever and Slide/Pump action designs.  I still kept a few of the most unusual for my great grandkids.  Who., incidentely know the values.

I now have 4 sets of Uberti 1873 Colts clones, 2 sets of Model "P" Jr (one with 32 H&R conversion) and nice feeling Pietta Colts clones; two Uberti 1873 Carbines, two 20"  Uberti Short Rifles and only one left of my  original Navy Arms 1873 long Rifles at 24".  I keep back-ups for all and at least 40 LBS of powder to keep them running.. It is the least a patriot can to preserve history.

I hope all you magnum shooters understand that a fully loaded 32WCF with the equivalent of a full case of any 3F BP and a 115gr bullet  will do in any small game, KD and ornery asshole in the world!!.

"That's all I've got to say about that"   Forrest Gump...circa..see  the movie??

Ol'  #4  "today"

You and Opal were the couple I was referring to 4.

kR

I think that Starline is basing their "strong comeback"  statement on the amount of 32/20 brass that they sell.  Where else are the few who shoot them going to get brass?  There just isn't any range pick-up brass lying around.   I haven't seen more than 2 or 3  shooters using 32/20 during the past year.    I do have a S&W Hand Ejector chambered in 32/20 that I plink with once in a while.  It is fairly accurate and fun to shoot.   I did use a 32/20 main match rifle a few times, I think it was badk in 1998.  I vote NO on the strong comeback ballot!

Blackfoot :FlagAm:

Ruger made a set of full size vaquero's in 32 H&R with 32-20 cylinders also.  I shot those guns for 12 or 13 years.

I also had a Marlin Cowboy in 32-20 along with a 73 both that I shot for many years.

The only 32-20 that I currently have is a 1892 produced in 1908.

Love the cartridge.

J.M.

1 hour ago, Kid Rich said:

Anyone that owns a Nagant revolver and reloads for it will be using 32-20 brass to relolad for it.

kR

I'll confirm this.   You can take .32-20 brass, run it through the Lee dies, and you have perfectly good brass to use in your Nagant.  I run it with a .312" wadcutter that just barely sticks out the end of the case.  Works quite well.   It won't seal the chamber like real Nagant brass will, so it won't work with a silencer, but how many Nagant shooters actually have one of those.

Since the cartridge created using .32-20 brass is substantially different with the original Nagant cartridge, I have personally dubbed the created version ".32-20 Nagant."  So far as I know, nobody else uses this moniker.

It is said you need to use the Starline brass, but I have found that Remington brass also works for the conversion.

1 hour ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

I think that Starline is basing their "strong comeback"  statement on the amount of 32/20 brass that they sell.  Where else are the few who shoot them going to get brass?  There just isn't any range pick-up brass lying around.   I haven't seen more than 2 or 3  shooters using 32/20 during the past year.    I do have a S&W Hand Ejector chambered in 32/20 that I plink with once in a while.  It is fairly accurate and fun to shoot.   I did use a 32/20 main match rifle a few times, I think it was badk in 1998.  I vote NO on the strong comeback ballot!

Blackfoot :FlagAm:

Be a ULT officer and you will get a better handle on # of people shooting 32-20.

It is a common caliber here, not like 45 or 38 but certainly not unusual.

kR

Kay Sadeeya has a 66 in 32-20 that is her main match rifle when she shoots in LFC.  It was her Christmas gift 3 years ago.  I have a Marlin 1894 in 32-20 that is my "fun" gun - I use it when I want to do something a little different.

We have learned a lot of hard lessons with 32-20s, 1 of which is the brass can get weak at the shoulder.  The last time we both shot those rifles at the same match, we both had cases separate at the shoulder, disabling both of our guns.  Thankfully it was a monthly so it wasn't all that big a deal, but it did prompt me to evaluate all of our loaded ammo.  Anything that looked suspect, I pulled the bullets on those rounds.  3 of the first 10 rounds I pulled, the brass separated at the shoulder.

20 hours ago, Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283 said:

How many of you have actually shot 32-20, in either rifle or pistol or both, at a SASS Match?

Have a friend up in CO. that shot 32-20 in frontier cartridge for years - both rifle & pistols.

DJ,

Back in the late 80's early 90's the main reason I got into working the Rossi 92's was because they were so stiff /over sprung. At that time Rossi offered 44-40's. However the Rossi was so stiff it would crush the case mouth as it ejected the case. Back then 44-40 brass was scarce(32-20 even more so). Folks were having to buy  new ammo which was also hard to find and expensive, ($30 and $40 a box of 50)

At that time SASS was still small. Less than 10,000 members. (My # is 6765) As SASS grew the availability of the 44-40 and 32-20 brass became more common.  I know this because the rifle I used was an original 73 in 32WCF. I still have it.

005.thumb.JPG.f003b1b6d021e87b82ff07a0660d50e3.JPG

I have since acquired several other 32WCF rifles and pistols.DSCN0100.thumb.JPG.a2243443c2acc5ecdd4d746c22cb718e.JPG

This 92 was DOM 1892. It came to me as like new inside because it was out of time. I suspect from the factory. (first year anything is always sketchy)

DSCN0662.thumb.JPG.ca076e76164fff6c707037fd983448da.JPG

Probably most unusual is the 32-20 Rossi.

DSCN0437.jpg.4c699d327878f8e203bf9cdc5bc45248.jpg

I couldn't find a decent Win carbine in 32WCF. So, I relined and re-timed this Rossi from 357m to 32WCF.

I would say, by 2000 finding the 44-40 and 32-20 components was much easier.

DSCN0088.JPG

I slicked up several 32-20 92's and 73's early on as we mostly used original guns pre sass or early sass. Haven't worked on one for awhile.  I'd say 32-20 has a  following in IHMSA. It makes a great round for single shot pistols when using heavy bullets. I still have some bullets cast for me by old AA, Armand Arnsen. The round is a wonder for shooting but a trick to reload if you want to use a repeater. Educating the shooter as to best reloading practices was a part of action work on that caliber. Even factory rounds can collapse in the mag tube. Best to use black powder loads or as  Abilene pointed out the Lee FCD for smokeless so the bullets can't be pushed back in the case.

Archived