SASS Wire Forum

Real Salt

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

The story goes that a volcanic eruption covered a sea (Part of the legendary Lake Bonneville?) many eons ago.  As the water disappeared the salt settled and lay hidden for hundreds or thousands of years until it was discovered again near the town of Redmond, Utah.  t os now for sale in an unaltered state and has the most admirable taste of any salt I've ever encountered before. It makes Himalayan sea salt downright bland by comparison!

I "discovered" it a few years back...I'm from northern Utah and never heard of it before...and use it for a lot of things now.  t's great on most any kind of beef, eggs, most fish, etc.  I was running low and decided it was worth searching for.  Took a long time.maybe three minutes, to find it on Amazon.  I got two 10 ounce plastic shaker bottles in the mail this morning.  Just in time.  I was down to a quarter tea spoon. 

If you haven't tried it, do yourself a favor and hunt down a bottle of it.

About the only things it doesn't go well with are chocolate, vanilla ice cream, and cherry pie.

My wife and daughter are all Gaga over Sea Salt. I really don’t find it any different than Morton salt. Besides, I like the iodine in case I am radiated. :lol:

I will have to try some of this. Thanks Forty and Chas. :)

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

About the only things it doesn't go well with are chocolate, vanilla ice cream, and cherry pie.

Salted chocolate is actually pretty good.

Back when we had our feed store we would buy chunk rock salt from a producer near Redmond. Came in pieces about 25-50 pounds each on a pallet that weighed about 2,000 pounds and wrapped in chicken wire. Local cattle ranchers swore that it was better and more easily tolerated than processed mineral salt blocks. Usually went through about 40,000 pounds every third month. Was mostly reddish in color (probably why they called it Redmond salt:P) though the color would vary load to load.

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

1 hour ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

Is this the product?

Sponsored Ad - Redmond Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined Gluten Free Fine, 10 Ounce Shaker (2 Pack)

Chas B

Ancient Fine Sea Salt...isn't it the same age as all the other salt on the planet?  :)

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Ancient Fine Sea Salt...isn't it the same age as all the other salt on the planet?  :)

Millions of years, but once you put it in a container for retail sale, it has an expiration date... :unsure:

20 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Just ordered 2 

Redmond Real Sea Salt - Natural Unrefined Gluten Free Fine, 10 Ounce Shaker (2 Pack) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00M0S7F8K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_LPp7FbXE6ST6D

I want to know where i can buy salt WITH gluten.

Can’t do salt anymore because of Carol’s condition but I wonder.

• Does the Bonneville salt have a slight gasoline and rubber aftertaste? :lol:

58 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Can’t do salt anymore because of Carol’s condition but I wonder.

• Does the Bonneville salt have a slight gasoline and rubber aftertaste? :lol:

Yes...and it dissolves really really fast. ;)

This is almost sweet and has no additives, not even iodine.

It's very lightly shaded with a bit of pink, almost white, and has a few impurities in it, but it's the best salt I've ever had.

The Bonneville salt is only tainted near the track where the cars run, about a 500th of the total salt flats.  Do you know that you can't sink in The Great Salt Lake?  So much salt that the buoyancy is increased so you float much higher and if you don't have rocks in your pocket you won't sink.

Redmond was named after some early Pioneer.  Has nothing to do with the salt.

• 2 weeks later...

Redmond Real Salt Ancient Sea Salt Fine Description

• Amazing Taste
  • Unrefined Mineral Salt
  • Made in America
  • For Everyday Use
  • Simple, Clean, and Real

Unlike Any Salt On Earth

Long before the earth knew pollution, volcanic eruptions sealed an ancient, pristine ocean beneath a layer of protective ash in what is now North America. Real Salt® is the only brand of sea salt harvested from this ancient deposit near Redmond, Utah. We bring it to you exactly as nature created it - an unrefined, ancient sea salt with subtle, sweet flavor unlike any other salt on earth.

Free Of Gluten

Got my order, and WOW, that stuff is GOOD!!!  Very, very strong, not so much in flavor but more in presence. The taste is very good, almost a hint of sweetness and the finish.  Don't need to use half as much as other sea salts I have.

4 hours ago, Clay Mosby said:

Got my order, and WOW, that stuff is GOOD!!!  Very, very strong, not so much in flavor but more in presence. The taste is very good, almost a hint of sweetness and the finish.  Don't need to use half as much as other sea salts I have.

I got mine as well. Very good salt. I like it!

Thanks Forty Rod! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived