SASS Wire Forum

Vaquero lower hammers?

Crusty Knees

I'd like to install some lower hammers on my Ruger Vaqueros, (O.M.), as I sometimes use them duelist.  I haven't really settled on a shooting style, sometimes I shoot with a two-hand grip, sometimes duelist, and maybe in the future, when I'm feeling brave, I might try gunfighter.

I heard about Super Blackhawk Hammers.  But a pard has a pair of Bisley Hammers and Triggers that he'd let me have.

Questions:

Can Bisley Hammers and Triggers be put into a Vaquero without replacing the Grip Frame?

Is the Bisley Hammer Spur too low to be used on a plow handle Vaquero with a two-handed grip?

The bisley hammers and triggers are not drop in replacements with the standard vaquero grip frame.  It can be done bit It requires either the grip frame or the hammers/ triggers to be modified.

I have a pair of OM Blackhawks that I put Bisley hammers in with about 20-30 min work each, with a Dremel. I am only a little handy but was able to do the job.

PM me and I will send my phone number if you want to talk about it. Also I can text pictures if you want. The Bisley hammers enabled me to shoot Duelist with small, fat hands and a large frame pistol. I have had no problems shooting the guns two handed also.

Super Black Hawk hammers are frequently hard to find. The Bisley hammers can usually be gotten from Midway for $40-50.  $29.99 now at MidwayUSA and available

Imis

I have a fairly large hand and a Vaquero with a lowered hammer was hard for me to shoot 2-handed, hammer would get into the web of my hand before being fully cocked.  Now I shoot short-stroked Bisleys and they work really well for old arthritic hands.

Randy

I put the wide spur Super Blackhawk ss hammers [30.00] on my vaqueros [5] this year and like them. I have always shot duelist. It wasn’t hard to do with no mods to the gun, pick one up from midway and give it a try.  They are grippier than the standard narrow ones but you could knock down some of the spur’s checkering if needed. 

Archived