SASS Wire Forum

Seems Like WAY Too Much Work

Subdeacon Joe

Wow!  That's 5 minutes I won't get back.  I couldn't watch the whole video.  A few things:  He used a Ryobi saw blade, he obviously doesn't know quality, or lack thereof.  The time it took him to do that, he could've bought a cheap table saw from Craigslist that's actually made for the intended purpose.  I guess if you have nothing better to do with your life.  God forbid you would need to shut that off in a hurry.

Red Wolf

There's a bunch of videos on Youtube of people building their own belt sanders, bandsaws, and other power tools out of plywood.  I guess technically, they do work for a while.   I can't see how you could ever get any kind of accuracy out of them.  And when they come apart, they want to eat fingers.  I think I'll stick with cast iron and steel for my big tools.

For the cost of the materials that idiot used he could have bought this.

Chicago Electric4 in. Mighty-Mite Table Saw with Blade Only $37.99

The 4 in. diameter circular saw has 2 miter slots for cutting precise angles with no hassle. The mini table saw includes a blade guard and eye shield for safety. A quality mini table saw for the home or workshop to get smaller projects done while keeping the big table saw free for larger jobs.

Miter gauge and two slots for precise angle cutting

Blade guard and transparent eye guard

Maximum depth of cut at 90°:3/4 in.

Blade diameter: 4 in.

4 in. Mighty-Mite Table Saw with Blade 61608 alternate photo #1

2 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Cheap power tools can cost an arm and a leg.

1987 I show up on big wood framed school building job site 

the guy running the pile of junk Radial arm saw   had saw damage to 7 of his 10 finger 

he was in his 30s and would be running out of fingers soon 

55 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Drill motors aren't designed to take sideways forces like that. 

That's why he built that high tech bearing support.;)

Seems like the kind of guy who will grind the sides of a flat screw driver to fit into a phillips head screw... and then use the tip of his pocket knife blade to turn a slotted screw because he already made his flat screw driver useless... and then complain about the hardness of his pocket knife blade when the tip breaks off.

Buy the right tool for the job.  If it only needs to work once, or only occasionally, buy the cheap harbor freight one.  If you expect it to work often, and correctly, for many years, then move as high up the brand quality chart as you can afford to.

Most of my tools are quality brands and I expect them to last.  A good number of my hand tools were acquired in my late teens and early twenties.  They still are in great shape 30 years later or so and I expect them to be in the same shape when somebody is clearing out my belongings after I am dead and gone.  I do have tools that were purchased for a specific oddball use that were harbor freight special type quality that worked fine for the job I needed them for.  Still have most of those too... those are the ones I loan out when a neighbor asks to borrow something. ;)

Archived