SASS Wire Forum

Price discovery info on small rifle and small pistol primers

Fort Reno Kid

Howdy Pards 

Right now small rifle and small pistol primers are rarer than an honest politician ... if that’s an adequate metaphor. Making the best of a bad chinese virus situation I have made use of the time to load up a mess of ammo (and cast a mess of bullets, too).

Finding my supply of small rifle and pistol primers depleted and scarcity being what it is, I contacted an old shootin’ buddy whose shooting/reloading days are essentially over.  He has a few, maybe several, hundred of each and is willing to sell. He’s out of town and I’ll plan a trip in near future.

My question: what is a fair price?  Want to be fair to him. I suspect the days of 3 cent primers (the last time I stocked up) may be long gone. Has anyone bot primers recently? And, if so what was the price?

Appreciate any good input.

Thanks and Adios

Fort Reno Kid 

Side note. He also has some wheel wts and lino spacers.  No problem finding price info there.

It depends on the brand.  I'm not sure I can recommend an honest price in these times, but the soul-less scalpers on GunBroker.com are charging (and perhaps even getting?) upwards of 25 cents per primer for Federal SP. So that could be a starting point.

Okay, I just made my wallet cry by paying $145 delivered for a thousand Federal LP primers from a GB listing. Okay, it hurt, but I can still reload for less than trying to find non-existent ammo.

27 minutes ago, Ambush Andy said:

I got in on that midway stock last week for large pistols (pays to wake up early) and just got 1k delivered with tax and  shippinng fees, 85 slackers. (I think they were match grade magnum)

Yup, I missed that one by minutes. Ouch

I picked up Federal large primers at a local shop for 42/ 1000 and Winchester large pistol at 52/1000. He had a large supple of Federal Match grade large primers for 85/1000. he stated he was not sure when he would get small primers, About$50 or less per 1000 would be my buy price. I still have a good supply of large and small for now. I sold a 6000 small primers to a couple cowboys that were out, I charged them $10/ 1000 over what I paid for them and I doubt i can replace them for the price I gave them . I always try to write what I paid for components on the box so I know what I have invested.

For what it’s worth I bought 1000 CCI Large Rifle Magnum Primers yesterday at a local store for $35.00. They had a 1000 limit. 

I think now if you could get Federal pistol Primers for $50.00 a thousand it would be a great deal. 

Randy

I found myself sitting on a horde of primers, Federal, Winchester, and Cci. I checked GB and was astounded at the scalpers prices. I posted on a local gun website and sold at $50.00 per thousand, a good profit for me, but waaaayyy under GB. 

I just bought 1K of Remington LR primers for $24.99 at Sportsman's Warehouse.

22 minutes ago, Middlefork Bob, SASS #53945 said:

Not to change the subject but can boxed primers be sent UPS under the ORM-D label?

Short answer: No.

Slightly longer answer: There are a bunch of requirements under DOT and other regulations covering transport of primers, and none of them are available to us mere mortals as a practical matter.

a couple of months ago I contacted a gun store in UK.  Prices were great--only catch was the$880 haz match fee (no decimals in that number BTW)

he said this is because they figure selling by pallet or by half- or full millon

didn't place order :P

I got in 10000 federal small pistol in last week. $25.34 a 1000.  My guy at federal said there shouldn't be an issue getting my spring pallet of primers  for around $27 a 1000 as long as I get a full pallet. 

Ive been doing a LOT of reloading this fall. First time ive ever had most my brass loaded but you just don't know when you'll be able to get a steady supply. I should be good for a while

2 minutes ago, evil dogooder said:

I got in 10000 federal small pistol in last week. $25.34 a 1000.  My guy at federal said there shouldn't be an issue getting my spring pallet of primers  for around $27 a 1000 as long as I get a full pallet. 

Would you be able to share any contact info, how many cases on a pallet? 

Thanks

Randy

1 hour ago, evil dogooder said:

Ive been doing a LOT of reloading this fall. First time ive ever had most my brass loaded but you just don't know when you'll be able to get a steady supply. I should be good for a while

I wish I had a guy at federal..... never heard of that

Many thanks to the Pards that contributed. Definitely helps. With this info the shootin’ buddy and I can do some horse trading.  He no longer needs the primers but needs $.  I need the primers and have some $.  That sets the scene for willing buyer and motivated seller to arrive at an agreement.

My experience is much the same as several other Pards that responded: one can wear fingers to the bone searching the internet and come up a cropper.

Side note.  There was a time (I’m a circa 1942) when I hoped that I would get smarter as I got older. Nope. That ship has sailed.  I got caught up in the shortages when Mr & Mrs Slick Willie took office.  And @#*! if we don’t remember the empty shelves of the “O” administration.  Didn’t think I’d get caught short handed again.  Truly history not only rhymes ... it repeats itself.

Adios and best wishes to all for a Happy and BETTER New Year!

Fort Reno Kid 

What about the HAZ MAT FEES?  How are you getting around that?

Archived