SASS Wire Forum

Do any stagewriters have to get their stages approved?

Mustang Gregg

We have now been tasked by our host club to give their safety committee the final stages at least a week before our monthly matches. 

So if they want to change something, I reckon we'd have to rewrite it pretty quickly for our match.

This is new to me.  And I have been writing stages since 2004.

So far, no problems.  All have been fine with them.

I just wondered if any other SASS outfits do this.

Mustang Gregg

Lincoln Area Regulators

EOT and I believe WR stage writers submit theirs for final approval before the shooter's handbooks go to print.   Saves lots of headaches with trying to make sure the shooters all know exactly how to shoot the stages.  And makes sure the layout of targets and the planned shooter movement fits with the fixed props that some stages have.

If that is what you HAVE to do, then it's what you have to DO.

Perhaps you could ask what safety policies they will be checking the stages against.  Always easier if you know what they will allow and not allow before you turn in the stages.   

Good luck, GJ

When I write stages for The Tusco Long Riders, I send them to Stone Creek Drifter (our TG), Buckaroo Bubba (our President), and many times, to Sixgun Seamus (a Club Deputy), not so much for "approval", but because they bring in their experiences at a large variety of shoots, and they see things in the stages  that I don't.  They reply with suggestions to make the stages better, and between the 4 of us, we end up with some pretty good stages.

--Dawg

As is said above. 

What are their safety concerns?

Seems a little strange that a non-Cowboy review committee would review a cowboy stage..... But stranger things happen.

1 hour ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

As is said above. 

What are their safety concerns?

Seems a little strange that a non-Cowboy review committee would review a cowboy stage..... But stranger things happen.

That was my concern. We really don't know if the committee guys are really up on what we do in CAS. 

But so far there have been NO problems.  I hope the next year's committee is the same.

Thanks for the help, guys & Barb.

At Firelands Peacemakers J.W. Buckshot has been writing the stages and he gets them okayed by Harry Yount, Cripple Creek Kid, and Angry Angus (and me sometimes) who all meet on Thursday before the shoot to set up for Saturday.

J.W. is new at this and we've had to iron out a few things here and there. It's getting much better.

See ya'll in April 2021!!;)

I wouldn't mind if other cowboy shooters reviewed my stages before a match... but NON-cowboy shooters?  What the heck are they looking for?

Maybe it's a liability thing?  Their underwriting company telling them they have to review matches for all disciplines?

We require all stages be reviewed before being put into play. The Hosting range does not do it, we do it. IMO that is just a smart thing to do. It is easy to overlook something regardless of how long one has been writing stages. It's much better to find a problem before the match than to find it during the match. 

Snakebite

As a club we review stages the month before our monthly match.  The reviews are done by everyone present at the meeting.  We rotate stage writing duties monthly, so each member only writes stages once per season.  Good to have multiple sets of eyes looking them over.  But no, we do not have any non-cowboys looking over and approving our stages. 

I don't have to review mine. Although, when we set them up, there are others that look the stages over.

Gregg it sounds like a control issue with the members of your host club. I doubt they even look at them, it does give them a sense of power.

Many stages look good on paper, they don't always work out when set up. Until the targets are placed and the stages shot, there is no guaranteed way of checking a stage until it is actually shot by several people. 

Our club has 4 experienced stage writers who write all the club matches.  No one approves them, we just shoot them.  When we have a club member who would like to write a stage, one of our regular writers goes over the stages prior to us shooting them.

I send mine to one of our experienced RO IIs for proof reading.  More than likely I've made minor errors on gun placement and such.  He also is another set of eyes for safety and looking for P traps

for our annual I also send an early copy to club board

3 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

we have a small group who looks over new stages 

so far the only changes made was move shotgun targets away for loading table 

Probably a good idea!

21 hours ago, Snakebite said:

We require all stages be reviewed before being put into play. The Hosting range does not do it, we do it. IMO that is just a smart thing to do. It is easy to overlook something regardless of how long one has been writing stages. It's much better to find a problem before the match than to find it during the match. 

Snakebite

This is fine and sensible.  The host range masters making decisions on something they know nothing about is not.  As someone else said, it sounds like a control issue.

If I wrote stages for a match, I would welcome review. Just off the top of my head:

• Is there a bonehead problem with any of the descriptions?
  • Are there any safety concerns?
  • Does it make sense for all divisions/categories/shooting styles?
  • Is there enough steel and props available to even do the stages?
  • Is the setup/teardown for each stage reasonable?
  • Does all of it look fun?

Review by fellow cowboy shooters is fine.  I don't mind some input into design or array - sequences or round counts.

I have written a "couple" of stages and matches in my time (a couple thousand by my rough count) and another set of eyes never hurts - even if its just catching spelling errors.

But (unless you do something incredibly stupid); it can be hard to determine a potentially dangerous or bad stage until you have both the written copy and physical targets set in front of you.

And much harder to determine that  "This just aint gonna work" from the written diagram.

And the exact same array changes in both fun or potential safety challenges by target sizes, distances, angles and target/ target stand conditions - items that are (for all intents) never listed in the written stage for review.

So again, unless you did something incredibly stupid - outside review of written stages is not going to tell others too much (safety wise) about your match.

And a host club requiring review is most likely either extreme nannyism, somebodies power trip or a requirement from the host clubs insurance for oversight.

On 12/28/2020 at 6:19 PM, Mustang Gregg said:

We have now been tasked by our host club to give their safety committee the final stages at least a week before our monthly matches. 

So if they want to change something, I reckon we'd have to rewrite it pretty quickly for our match....

Has the "Safety Committee" ever checked the stages on the day of the match to confirm stages are as approved?  

21 hours ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

This is fine and sensible.  The host range masters making decisions on something they know nothing about is not.  As someone else said, it sounds like a control issue.

Yep, sounds like. And No.;)

Archived