SASS Wire Forum

Federal Large Rife Primes in .45 Colt?

Taos

I just ran into 1000 Fed LRP.  

Looking to hear from anyone who has loaded .45 (long) Colt with Large Rifle Primers.

I know they are .10 longer than a SPP, and that's about it.

Do they work?

What's the trick?

Should I make the load differently?

I'm about to have to quit shooting because I'm about out of primers, so I hope I can make these work, get me through a few months shooting.

Thanks

Try trading to another pard in your area who reloads, for LP primers.

By being "longer" than LP primers, if you put them in a .45 Colt case, they stick up quite a bit above the case head, and will bind revolvers (keep them from rotating) and could fire out of battery in lever rifles. 

Good luck, GJ

My LGS has Federal Match LRP in stock.  I was considering buying some today, but I don't shoot my .45-70 enough to buy another 1K.  

For many years I loaded my Black powder 44-40, 1860 Henry rifle with large rifle primers and didn't have any problems.  I was told that I should use large pistol primers because they set lower in the brass and are safer when using a tube magazine.  I changed to  pistol primers for the safety they provided.

36 minutes ago, Taos said:

Looking to hear from anyone who has loaded .45 (long) Colt with Large Rifle Primers.

Pretty sure they're not a tenth of an inch longer.  ;)

Try ten thousandths longer, not one hundred thousandths longer!     As a decimal, that is 0.010"  (not 0.100")

30 minutes ago, Taos said:

Thanks Joe, typo on my part.

But have you tried them in a .45 pistol, Ruger?

I have Rugers. If you have a high primer it will jam the cylinder as it comes around. At that point you can’t go forward and you can’t go back. I don’t recommend it. 

Just a thought. I know the thicknesses of the brass varies with manufacturer. Is it possible to remove enough material from the primer pocket with a primer pocket reamer? Just enough to allow the primer to seat flush. Maybe this along with a factory hammer spring for a solid strike. The pressures we deal with are low, but I know you wouldn't want to take away so much material as to enlarge the flash hole and create a pressure spike in addition to the increased pressure from using rifle primers. Just thinking outloud, so don't beat me up.

OK.  I won't beat you up.  Much.  It has already been mentioned (several times) rifle primers are taller than pistol primers.  They sit proud of the case head.  That means they sit high and unprotected.  They will jam most ALL SA handguns.  Reaming the primer pockets deeper means Pistol Primers won't work when they become available.  It also means, in a tubular magazine the primer is "Right There" for a Magazine Detonation.  It also means, the primer is ripe for an Out of Battery Discharge.  None of the above are particularly Harmonious conditions.  Some are down right real hazardous to your health.

Some will say they have done it.  Doesn't mean they should have.  Getting away with it is not the same as the correct way to do it.  Some of those same folks, J-Walk.  Cross against the Red Light, DUI,  etc.  They got away with it.  Getting runner by a Muni Buss or Taxi or Soccer Mom inna SUV is kinda rough when you luck finally runs out.  Likewise, a magazine discharge can remove most of your off hand.  You fancy a Hook??

DON'T EVEN THINK IT

I forgot:  There is no such thing as .45 (long) Colt.  It's just plain .45 Colt.

17 minutes ago, Boolit Boomer said:

Just a thought. I know the thicknesses of the brass varies with manufacturer. Is it possible to remove enough material from the primer pocket with a primer pocket reamer? Just enough to allow the primer to seat flush. Maybe this along with a factory hammer spring for a solid strike. The pressures we deal with are low, but I know you wouldn't want to take away so much material as to enlarge the flash hole and create a pressure spike in addition to the increased pressure from using rifle primers. Just thinking outloud, so don't beat me up.

IF, it was a safe thing to do-The factories would be doing such. 

DON'T do it!

OLG 

3 hours ago, Taos said:

Do they work?

What's the trick?

Should I make the load differently?

I'm about to have to quit shooting because I'm about out of primers, so I hope I can make these work, get me through a few months shooting.

Thanks

If you can find Starline 460 S&W brass, these can be trimmed to 45 colt length. These are designed to use the large rifle primers. Another option is, if you have small rifle primers, 454 casual brass can be trimmed to 45 colt length. 

@Taos I plan to be at the shoot on the 9th. I have some coming in I paid scalpers price for on GB. I can spare a couple hundred if that will help, I paid $150 for the 1,000, so $30 for 200?

Wow! People might start looking more into trading primers, powders etc. before paying some of the very high prices. I'd like at some point to get some large rifle primers and could trade pistol primers for them. It depends on what specific component someone is short of. I'm loading 45acp with Clays instead of my preferred powder, saving it for matches. Of course if you're stuck with virtually no components you don't have much choice.

Thanks to all who had something useful and helpful to say.  

Seems those who have not experimented with using LRP in .45 Colt are all about, "NO, you'll shoot your eye out!"  Those that have actually used LRP in .45 Colt say things like, "Be careful of high primers in revolvers", "Ream the primer pocket some and make sure it's clean", "use a tight crimp", "might need to use heavier hammer springs, especially in semi-autos". 

SASS Wire isn't the only forum I've been looking for answers, seems there are many, many folks who use or have used LRP in .45 Colt.  Not a single tale of something really bad gone wrong, no out of battery or magazine explosions.  Except one guy was getting the primers going off in the loader until he properly adjusted it.  Of course a high primer will jamb a revolver cylinder and that is the #1 most popular thing that goes wrong.  2nd is light strikes, until the hammer springs are bumped up some.

Some guy in Canada has been using LRP in .45 Colt for as long as he can remember, because pistol primers are a no-no in Canada.

I don't know if I'm going to use these primers or not, maybe load a few just to see.

Thanks Boolit Boomer for the S&W 460 tip.  That seems to be popular in Canada where anything pistol related is hard to get.

Keep you primers Deacon KC, you're gonna need them.  I may go to the new .22 Category, I've about 6000 .22s to shoot up!  Me 'n Luke the Duke do.

Someone mentioned trading my LRP for SPP, I can and will do that if you want to.  

I've used them before in a .45 Colt and they ran fine...... That's a .45 1911... Not a .45 Revolver.

.45 ACP... not recommended but will work...

.45 Long Colt in a tubular magazine rifle also not recommended but will work...

.45 Long Colt in a Revolver.... They mite shoot, but the cylinder will most likely drag so bad you'll be sorry you tried.

Good Luck !

2 hours ago, Taos said:

Thanks to all who had something useful and helpful to say.  

Seems those who have not experimented with using LRP in .45 Colt are all about, "NO, you'll shoot your eye out!"  Those that have actually used LRP in .45 Colt say things like, "Be careful of high primers in revolvers", "Ream the primer pocket some and make sure it's clean", "use a tight crimp", "might need to use heavier hammer springs, especially in semi-autos". 

SASS Wire isn't the only forum I've been looking for answers, seems there are many, many folks who use or have used LRP in .45 Colt.  Not a single tale of something really bad gone wrong, no out of battery or magazine explosions.  Except one guy was getting the primers going off in the loader until he properly adjusted it.  Of course a high primer will jamb a revolver cylinder and that is the #1 most popular thing that goes wrong.  2nd is light strikes, until the hammer springs are bumped up some.

Some guy in Canada has been using LRP in .45 Colt for as long as he can remember, because pistol primers are a no-no in Canada.

I don't know if I'm going to use these primers or not, maybe load a few just to see.

Thanks Boolit Boomer for the S&W 460 tip.  That seems to be popular in Canada where anything pistol related is hard to get.

Keep you primers Deacon KC, you're gonna need them.  I may go to the new .22 Category, I've about 6000 .22s to shoot up!  Me 'n Luke the Duke do.

Someone mentioned trading my LRP for SPP, I can and will do that if you want to.  

At this point you have received plenty of info and it is now up to you how to proceed.

First though I would evaluate some of the info you have been given with a little (maybe a lot) of salt.

The Canadian who told you pistol primers were a no-no.... A quick internet search showed 30 vendors offering small pistol primers at relatively normal prices. Just no shipping to USA, or a Canadian PO box. Including Cabela's offerings.

That tidbit alone would encourage me to do a bit more research, but I am sure that your decision will be correct for you.

You might get ahold of Cold Lake Kid or Jabez Cowboy who post here regularly and shoot in Canada for additional info. Jabez is a gunsmith and an FFL (I think) who would for sure know the rules of the land and what would work in a wide variety of firearms.

BTW I also enjoy the 22 mild bunch type matches and love taking new shooters out with a few hundred 22's to plink with. have fun!!!

Regards and see ya down the trail

Gateway Kid

15 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

Wow! People might start looking more into trading primers, powders etc. before paying some of the very high prices. I'd like at some point to get some large rifle primers and could trade pistol primers for them. It depends on what specific component someone is short of. I'm loading 45acp with Clays instead of my preferred powder, saving it for matches. Of course if you're stuck with virtually no components you don't have much choice.

I'm at that point. I have a little extra Clays and Titegroup and shotgun primers I'd trade for H4350, IMR4064, HP38/W231, Power Pistol and W748. I also have a couple thousand LRM primers I used for BP 45-70 loads. Now that I don't fool with that, and no 45-70 or what not in the foreseeable, future I'm looking for someone to trade the primers and powder I want for the 45-70 components, powder and primers I don't need. But I do not want to ship the powder and primers, so that dampens my prospects....The 45-70 bullets, dies, etc I'd ship, but really looking to trade for LPP and SPP, but above all, the five mentioned powders. 

Thanks Gateway.  I'm not sure I'm going to, or want to, do this or not.  I was just asking and researching.  I don't know where in Canada that guy was.  I've been to Alberta a couple times, and Nova Scotia.   Gun stuff was much more relaxed in Alberta than NS.  It was almost taboo to even mention a gun of any type in NS.

These LRP just sort of fell into my hands, I have no use for them.  So maybe I'll load a handful and see how they turn out.

Where did you see SPP offered at near normal prices?  I see them on web pages, but all are "out of stock".   Or are you looking on line in Canada?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

I'm at that point. I have a little extra Clays and Titegroup and shotgun primers I'd trade for H4350, IMR4064, HP38/W231, Power Pistol and W748. I also have a couple thousand LRM primers I used for BP 45-70 loads. Now that I don't fool with that, and no 45-70 or what not in the foreseeable, future I'm looking for someone to trade the primers and powder I want for the 45-70 components, powder and primers I don't need. But I do not want to ship the powder and primers, so that dampens my prospects....The 45-70 bullets, dies, etc I'd ship, but really looking to trade for LPP and SPP, but above all, the five mentioned powders. 

Yes. I'm not messing with shipping primers or powder even if an individual is allowed to. Have to find a trade pretty close to home. Some clubs have posted gun or gear for sale on their websites or sent out emails. Now might be a time to expand shooters ability to sell or trade  components. If everyone knew ahead of time people could bring it to trade at matches.

25 minutes ago, Taos said:

Thanks Gateway.  I'm not sure I'm going to, or want to, do this or not.  I was just asking and researching.  I don't know where in Canada that guy was.  I've been to Alberta a couple times, and Nova Scotia.   Gun stuff was much more relaxed in Alberta than NS.  It was almost taboo to even mention a gun of any type in NS.

These LRP just sort of fell into my hands, I have no use for them.  So maybe I'll load a handful and see how they turn out.

Where did you see SPP offered at near normal prices?  I see them on web pages, but all are "out of stock".   Or are you looking on line in Canada?

Thanks

Ya know there is a real simple way to satisfy your "curiosity" just prime one case don't even load it with powder and bullet. Stick it in your revolver and  see if you can rotate the cylinder all the way around. If it don't work you are only out ONE primer and almost no time. Try it you will KNOW if it will work for you.

kR

Not going to express my opinion on using the wrong components when reloading... just going to make a suggestion.

If you try this, video it.  That way you can have proof that it worked and you can be a hero, or we will all have a video to show the next guy why not to do it.

2 hours ago, Taos said:

Thanks

Just googled up “Canada small pistol primers”.

most were in the $40 range for instock vendors   
kinda weird that cabela’s had in stock in Canada but none in the USA. 
regards and have fun 

hope to meet ya someday 

Gateway Kid

Howdy from Canada. There is pistol and rifle primers in the stores for years. No issue as far as government rules. I am lucky and live 15 minutes from two wholesale distributor and just walk in to get all the large pistol or small pistol primer I can afford. Now there is a short supply issue but stores are getting from across the pond primers. NO cross border sales to USA, Loud bold print on all the store web site. If a Canadian has a problem getting pistol primers then it must be living  in a igloo.

As of to-day I can pick up large or small primer for 55 to 75 dollars a brick (1000), may have to settle for Magnum or off shore brand, but they are available, for now.

In Ontario we are now in a LOCKDOWN. All indoor ranges closed and no match's allowed, some out door ranges for you and your live in partner to plink at.   

You do not need primers if you do not shoot the ones you have. Sadly that could be why we got some primers. Also the federals have put all AR 15 rifles into safe queen jail till they get around to collecting them in a year from now.

Yesterday I loaded a dozen or so LRP in 45 Colt brass.  I used 8 different brass manufactures.  All of them allowed the cylinders to spin freely in my New Vaqueros.

Federal #210 primers.

I did make sure the primer pockets were clean.

The primers were not proud in the casing, flush is what I'd say.

This morning I test fired them, worked like a charm!

I used the same Cowboy load I've been using for years.

Round 'em up!

Archived