SASS Wire Forum

C & B Nipples

Barry Sloe

There has been a bit of talk on the Wire about caps, sizes, etc., and the different nipples have been mentioned.  I have ROAs and a pair of Pietta '51s. 

With the ROAs I know which are the factory nipples.  And I know the Slix nipples that I installed.  But some of the nipples that I took off were not factory, nor were they Slix.  Is there a way to identify various nipples?  I'm thinking maybe I took off some Treso's without knowing it (I've got them bagged up in the spare parts drawer).

So, that's the question of the day.  Is there a way to identify one manufacturers nipple from the others?

Thanks ahead of time,

BS

3 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

There has been a bit of talk on the Wire about caps, sizes, etc., and the different nipples have been mentioned.  I have ROAs and a pair of Pietta '51s. 

With the ROAs I know which are the factory nipples.  And I know the Slix nipples that I installed.  But some of the nipples that I took off were not factory, nor were they Slix.  Is there a way to identify various nipples?  I'm thinking maybe I took off some Treso's without knowing it (I've got them bagged up in the spare parts drawer).

So, that's the question of the day.  Is there a way to identify one manufacturers nipple from the others?

Thanks ahead of time,

BS

Warrant, good question.  I know if you go the the Track of the Wolf page they give the dimensions and thread size of all the nipples they sell, maybe that’ll help.

ROA factory original nipples require a hexagonal socket tool.  Slix are stainless steel with tiny extra holes in the side that get covered by a cap, Treso have kinda light bronze color, (when clean!)  and both have smaller vent holes than factory nipples.

Well,  let me clean up the ones I have in the parts bag. If they are bronze colored I'll smile. 

Happy New Year,

BS

The exit hole is the key for Treso nipples -- 0.028" -- no other nipples have a hole that small.

It is noticeably smaller, and is visually, very easy to see.

--Dawg

2 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

The exit hole is the key for Treso nipples -- 0.028" -- no other nipples have a hole that small.

--Dawg

Dawg you are right it is very visual...Put them in the cold and see what stands out....Wrong ones...

Texas Lizard

A quick look: 12 Ruger factory nipples; 6 Treso nipples; 12 unknowns (slightly taller than the Treso's with a larger hole than the Treso).  Of course I don't think you could get any smaller than the Treso and still have ignition. 

I've still got to look up the Track of the Wolf brand and see what they look like. 

Thanks for the help, 

BS

1 hour ago, Texas Lizard said:

Dawg you are right it is very visual...Put them in the cold and see what stands out....Wrong ones...

Texas Lizard

How many times does I has ta tell you what you are talkin' about are cones!  Nipples are parts of anatomy not discussed in mixed-company!  Neither, for that matter are "legs".  It's "limbs"!  Ya'd think we were in the 21st Century rather than the 19th! :rolleyes:

Stay well and safe, Pards!

Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

From the Track of the Wolf Website:

Track's 416 stainless steel nipples:

Made from 416 alloy (12% Chromium), the first free machining stainless alloy with Martensitic qualities (hardenable, tempers normally, and is magnetic unlike most stainless alloys). Stronger, tougher, more resistant to battering, 416 alloy is longer lasting than the famous old Ampco bronze nipples, now obsolete.
    Truly precision turned, our nipples have tapered cones made to perfectly fit the CCI brand No. 11 standard cap, or the identical Dynamit - Nobel RWS brand No. 1075 (red label) cap. Remington No. 11 caps are a tiny bit larger, an easy fit. Track has improved the fit, and extended the life of our percussion nipples.

The values shown for the overall length, thread journal length, and diameter of the base are ideal values and may vary slightly due to machining tolerances. We have noted a wide variety of nipple threads and lengths used on imported rifles and percussion revolvers, even on the same model from the same maker. We recommend confirming the thread, overall length, thread journal length, base diameter, and comparing the cone length. Cone length = overall length minus thread journal length. The cone length must be similar in length to the original nipple to assure good function especially in percussion revolvers.

I have not used TOW nipples, but have heard that they are good ones.
--Dawg

7 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

--Dawg

3 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

My Track of the Wolf nipples have a .018 flash hole.

I don't want to start any argument.  But there is a discrepancy here. 

BS

10 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

I don't want to start any argument.  But there is a discrepancy here. 

BS

I measured my TotW nipples with a wire gauge and a precision micrometer to compare them against Treso nipples that do have a larger flash hole.

As I said, I've never used TOW nipples, so you are probably correct Jim.

I've compared Italian factory nipples, Ruger nipples, and Slix nipples, and the Tresos are the smallest of these -- That hole diameter was provided by the mabufacturer.

--Dawg

18 hours ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

From the Track of the Wolf Website:

Track's 416 stainless steel nipples:

Made from 416 alloy (12% Chromium), the first free machining stainless alloy with Martensitic qualities (hardenable, tempers normally, and is magnetic unlike most stainless alloys). Stronger, tougher, more resistant to battering, 416 alloy is longer lasting than the famous old Ampco bronze nipples, now obsolete.
    Truly precision turned, our nipples have tapered cones made to perfectly fit the CCI brand No. 11 standard cap, or the identical Dynamit - Nobel RWS brand No. 1075 (red label) cap. Remington No. 11 caps are a tiny bit larger, an easy fit. Track has improved the fit, and extended the life of our percussion nipples.

The values shown for the overall length, thread journal length, and diameter of the base are ideal values and may vary slightly due to machining tolerances. We have noted a wide variety of nipple threads and lengths used on imported rifles and percussion revolvers, even on the same model from the same maker. We recommend confirming the thread, overall length, thread journal length, base diameter, and comparing the cone length. Cone length = overall length minus thread journal length. The cone length must be similar in length to the original nipple to assure good function especially in percussion revolvers.

I have not used TOW nipples, but have heard that they are good ones.
--Dawg

I don’t agree with that.  For those reading this and not my post about “My Nipples” I changed to TOW nipples and CCI#11 caps and had nothing but problems at my last match.  Even though I pressed the caps after seating the first time the hammer struck the cap it didn’t go off, the second time around it did.  This was on all chambers on both cylinders.  One cylinder got a little better later in the match but the other one no so much.  So the TOW have come off and I put the Slixx back on, test fired and no more seating problems.  IMHO, YMMV

I'm using TOW nips with Rem.#11 caps and no issues so far. Never tried the recommended CCI #11's.

7 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I don’t agree with that.  For those reading this and not my post about “My Nipples” I changed to TOW nipples and CCI#11 caps and had nothing but problems at my last match.  Even though I pressed the caps after seating the first time the hammer struck the cap it didn’t go off, the second time around it did.  This was on all chambers on both cylinders.  One cylinder got a little better later in the match but the other one no so much.  So the TOW have come off and I put the Slixx back on, test fired and no more seating problems.  IMHO, YMMV

It sounds like your nipples are too short so the hammer isn't getting a good crush on the first hit.  Slixx are longer from the git go.  I had to dress mine down about .035 to get them to just kiss the hammer.

1 hour ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

It sounds like your nipples are too short so the hammer isn't getting a good crush on the first hit.  Slixx are longer from the git go.  I had to dress mine down about .035 to get them to just kiss the hammer.

Measure the length of the nipples from the the tip to the seat. Bet you find that the ToW nipples are too short. They sell different lengths for this reason.

Archived