SASS Wire Forum

How to make coffee?

Chief Rick

Are y'all using a regular electric coffee pot, percolator or French press to make your coffee?

I use a Bunn fast brew coffee pot at home and a cheap electric one over here (so I can use a timer and have it ready when I wake up).

My daughter bought me two bags of Black Rifle Coffee Company coffee.

I don't remember which, as she had them sent home and I've not been able to get there.

I think ours is a cheap Bunn with a timer.

I give two shakes of ground cinnamon on top of the grounds.

Cuts the bitter, mellows the flavor, a very little cinnamon flavor comes through.

Black Rifle makes several different kinds, the wife got me two flavors for my birthday and they were both good!

It depends. Most nights I set up the coffee maker, a Ninja Coffee Bar that Mrs. Doc and the kids got me and set the timer for the morning. Simple, easy, and hot when I walk down the stairs. I use a permanent mesh filter in it instead of paper.

On mornings when I have the time to truly relax and enjoy the process and the taste, I pull out one of my French Presses (I have three in different sizes, two were gifts). The mesh filters for drip makers come closer to the flavor of a French Press, but the French Press is still my preferred method.

I have a Kuerig in my home office that belonged to my mother-in-law when I need just a cup and I'm feeling lazy. It has the reusable pod to add coffee to, if I want to go that route, but I seldom do. I just pop a k-cup in.

I seldom pull out the espresso / cappuccino machine, because Mrs. Doc "reclaimed" her counter space, and it is too bothersome to take it out, set it all up, and put away. I do have a stove top espresso maker, that makes a demitasse cup full at a time. It's a sturdy metal contraption that works really well on a camp stove, if you like espresso, and are willing to make the space for it.

Speaking of camping, I have pulled out the camp stove and camp pot, a percolator type, when the power has gone out. And of course, it sees plenty of use when camping.

Be right back, I need more coffee.

I use a Mr. Coffee and I buy different coffee beans, grind up a couple days worth and I'm good to go.

Howdy,

Stainless steel press from starbucks. small timer, boiling water and ....coffee fresh ground.

And a good quality thermos to hold the brew once made.

This setup can make coffee in the kitchen, on top of Pikes peak or in the dark

woods of the u p.

I also find a trip to mcdonalds works well too.

Measure carefully.

Best

CR

We have a Hamilton Beach Flexbrew, does both pot and K-cup.  Most days I'll set it up at night so I stumble into the kitchen the next morning and push the start button.  For evening coffee, or a lazy Saturday morning, I'll use our French Press.    I have a variety of coffees to chose from.

My wife likes the K-cup feature for when she wants one cup, and only one cup, during the day.  Sometimes she will buy a sampler pack of K-cups, 100 for 10 bucks plus shipping or some such, of coffees, teas, and hot chocolate.  We both use it for our hits of Thera-Flu when needed.

I use a Melitta pour-over cone with #6 filters that I buy a case at a time.
#6 filters no longer stocked anywhere local now, so I buy 'em by the case from Amazon.

My wife's girlfriend is a Starbucks aficionado, and participated in a coffee study for me.
I would make pots of coffee at various strengths (number of scoops) until it got to her "Starbucks strength" black coffee.
The 12 cup Melitta required 7 scoops to reach her approval point.

We use a 1+5 combination of fine ground Hazelnut + 5 scoops of decaf, with a cap full of real vanilla in the pot, and a dash of cinnamon in the grounds.
We go through a lot of coffee during our busy day of C19 lock-downs, and neither of us can stand this strength as fully caffeinated coffee.

1 hour ago, Chili Ron said:

I also find a trip to mcdonalds works well too.

I enjoy McDonalds coffee and in my experience it's one of the best for consistent taste when travelling.  I won't go in to buy a hamburger if I can help it, but we'll stop in for sweat tea (be careful with that - it could be syrup) and black coffee when on the road.

I stumble down the stairs and into the kitchen.

Drop the measuring spoon on the floor before I manage to get enough grounds into the basket, (SS of course. I can taste the filter paper, if it's used.)

I use a KitchenAid drip thing with the minimum of things that must be done before I get my first cup of heart starter.

3 hours ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

I would have to inquire with the kitchen staff which would require me to go down to the servants quarters. I shall query the butler at the morning meal.

You also? I find that to be an inconvience, but I soldier on. 

<rant>

I like simple coffee makers. Throw the old filter from yesterday in the trash can, put a new filter in the basket, add 2 scoops of coffee, add 6-8 cups water, flip the  switch to on. When I am done drinking it, flip with to off. Done!

Even better is when my lady does those steps for me before I wake up :lol:. I do love my lady!

I caught a cold last week (not the  'rona) and had to do it myself for the last few days, and managed. (my lady quarantined from me, did not want her to get this sore throat).

But this stupid coffee maker has some capability for programming and a clock. Every time the power fails, it starts flashing. Sure, just set the right time you say... But several bars in the time display are blown out from lightning strikes.

I used to buy simple coffee makers at Kmart for about $20 but the one with a clock costs $50. Dumb! I just want "on" and "off'" Just a switch. Every nearby lightning strike takes out more elements in the clock display and I don't care about having coffee ready at a certain time in the morning; I want to have it hot when I do get up and wake up not when I thought I might get up. It is none of my coffee maker's business when I'm going to get up in the morning! I feel no need to notify it in advance of going to bed the night before!

So now, stumbling around in the morning, with the display flashing some random unreadable representation of the time since the last lightning jolt, I have to push the right "start" or "on" or "brew" or "whatever" button, not "hour" or minute" or "stop" or "whatever the hell that button does" button to get it brewing. Makes me just want to unplug it when done for the morning rather than identifying whatever button is supposed to shut off the heater. But then it will start the incessant unintelligible blinking when I plug it back in!

Sure, it will shut off by itself after some amount of time, but not until the last dregs in the pot have been turned into tar ready to add that special bitter flavor for the next day.

Since Kmart is gone, who sells a practical simple human conservative I'm responsible for own own damn coffee coffee maker? for a reasonable cost? Just a simple Mr. Coffee pot?

</rant>

Sometimes when i'm lucky the Wife makes me a Cup.....<_<;) Not. 

I actually prefer to make my own, if just for me I use a Melita Pour through Cone ,,,, Or I use my 12 cup drip maker .

But I always use Filtered Water ( Ceramic Filter and Charcoal Filter ) I think it makes for better Coffee, and Avoid "Maxwell House" like the COVID ...

When I go to other Countries or friends Do I tell them, buy me some locally grown coffee if you feel the need to get me something ...

This way I don't get some Nic-nac that needs a place to sit , but I get top try and share a new kind of Coffee ...

When I'm going Hunting or Fishing I do set the Timer on that 12 cup maker so as to have coffee about ready when I get to the Kitchen ....

Jabez Cowboy

currently using a cheap half 6 cup pot i got for xmas so long ago i cant recall when , i grind my beans fresh every morning and drink only the one pot - far cry from the 2 1/2 full 12 cups pot i used to drink when i was working , but i tend to like it strong , i dont drink it after noon or im up all night , 

My Kitchen Aid grinder with a permanent filter filled to the top with our local extra strength coffee beans gets my motor running.

Two large mugs is my bare minimum.

43 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

A shot of Jamison’s in a cup of coffee negates many sins.

:)

I'll opt for Tia Maria

16 hours ago, Muleshoe Bill SASS #67022 said:

I would have to inquire with the kitchen staff which would require me to go down to the servants quarters. I shall query the butler at the morning meal.

12 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

You also? I find that to be an inconvience, but I soldier on. 

Just have your Batman ask the butler.

Meyer's Jamaican rum goes  well in coffee and french toast. HAPPY BREAKFAST!!!

7 hours ago, John Kloehr said:

Since Kmart is gone, who sells a practical simple human conservative I'm responsible for own own damn coffee coffee maker? for a reasonable cost? Just a simple Mr. Coffee pot?

Reasonable means different things to different people.

For ~$100, the BUNN GRB Velocity Brew coffee pot is what we use at home as well as where I work back home.  We run two pots almost 10 hours a day at work and one of them has been going strong for over six years, the other about four.  The one I have at home is also about four years old.

No timer.  No clock.  No auto off.

Makes a full pot (10 cups) in about three minutes as long as you keep the reservoir filled and the power on. (Reservoir heater and hot plate have separate power switches.)

I do find that using any coffee filter other than BUNN filters is not good.  The BUNN filters are slightly taller.  Other filters allow the water (and grounds) to go above the filter and get in your coffee. 

4 hours ago, watab kid said:

currently using a cheap half 6 cup pot i got for xmas so long ago i cant recall when , i grind my beans fresh every morning and drink only the one pot - far cry from the 2 1/2 full 12 cups pot i used to drink when i was working , but i tend to like it strong , i dont drink it after noon or im up all night , 

I too have drastically cut down on my coffee consumption.  While on active duty I was drinking two pots a day.  Then I slowly got down to one pot.  Now, I try to keep it to one "cup" (currently a 20 oz Hydro Flask thermal cup).

I spent two months in Bahrain this past summer.  No coffee pots in the hotel.  I bought, and used, Folgers instant coffee the entire time.

I got hooked on Peet's Major Dickenson in a pod.  We bought a combo drip/k-cup unit because we often found we wanted just "One more cup!" I buy the pods in bulk at Sam's Club, comes out to around $0.46/cup.

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Just have your Batman ask the butler.

I'm left completely bemused by this line of thought. Obviously, neither the butler or batman would be likely to know the answer. You must send one of them to the kitchen staff to ascertain such things.

35 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I'm left completely bemused by this line of thought. Obviously, neither the butler or batman would be likely to know the answer. You must send one of them to the kitchen staff to ascertain such things.

Maybe your smart home knows?

I give the beans a course grind and use a French press. It makes the best coffee in my opinion. I’ve tried all the other methods from drips to percolators to pods. Beauty of the press is you let the coffee sit longer for a strong brew or less for mild. Fresh ground beans are definitely the best. The longer grounds sit, the more flavor they lose as the air gets to it.

Archived