SASS Wire Forum

Questions from somebody very new

Lefty Yeti

Hello, 

First, I have been reading through the rulebook and posts, and wanted to ask a few questions.

First, if the local SASS affiliated club you located in the club directory has a website listed that goes to a completely unrelated content, who should be notified?  It wasn't NSFW, but was a website for a company in China.  Google translate looks like it might be a domain squatter filling the page with various content and stock images, since the content isn't consistent.

• Any advice for observing a monthly club match? Should I reach out to them in email first? 
  • After watching my first match, any tips on acquiring equipment?
  • Do you have to pick a costume category, or is shooting in just an open category acceptable especially for new shooters?
  • California specific - Dealing with the handgun and soon any firearm 1 per 30 day DROS limits, is it worth it to get an FFL03+COE?  Especially considering ammo purchases down the road? I know reproduction clones are not considered C&R eligible, the benefit would be the waiving the 30-day between firearm purchases, and being able to have ammo shipped direct and avoid the ammo background check fee for each purchase, especially since finding ammo locally, much less loaded with all lead bullets is not exactly easy.  Long term taking on reloading would be the goal.
  • Any suggestions for acquiring costume and gun leather for a bigger person?  I am about 6'2", and around a 60" waist.
    • Period appropriate boots for size 15 extra wide, and needing a little more room in the vamp/tongue/to shaft area?  I have some Dingo 7" Harness boots that zip on the inside (not generally visible) but even those can be difficult to get on with any swelling, and not sure they are really period appropriate. 
  • Does anybody foresee any issues with the potential SASS alias of "Lefty Yeti" or just Lefty for short? I am also left handed, and have a decent tolerance for cold.  When I was recently at Spenceville range several people approached my wife to ask if I was ok down range placing my targets in 35 degree weather in a t-shirt.
  • I am trying to get my family interested as well.  My wife, teenage son, my brother, niece and nephew might be interested.  Is there any issues with sharing firearms among competitors in that situation?  I know my brother would probably lean more towards B-Western, and I would lean more towards classic cowboy.

It looks like a minimum of about $3000 in firearms to get started with tax, DROS, etc - $1000-1500 for revolvers, $1000-2000 for rifle, and $500-1000 for a shotgun.  With that in mind, and for new shooters, are there suggestions for firearms that work for more than one category?  If possible I wouldn't mind splitting that cost up between my brother and I to some extent.

For example:

• If I read the rules correctly 1873 Colt Clones in 45 Long Colt can be shot in both Classic Cowboy and B-Western, .38 only in B-Western.  Am I correct?
  • However I didn't find any rifles that could be shot in both, are there? 
  • Different holster styles are required for Classic Cowboy and B-Western.
  • A side by side shotgun with working external hammers could be used for both Classic Cowboy and B-Western, but one with internal hammers only in B-Western, is that correct?

Welcome. I can't answer your CA questions, but Classic Cowboy and B Western rifles don't overlap, you can shoot 45 caliber in both categories. though. Yes, holster styles are different. Go to a couple of shoots before you buy ANYTHING, you may find equipment for sale and most everyone will let handle theirs. You could still share guns and dress like you want just by not shooting in the Classic or B Western Categories, shooting in one of the age or Cowboy categories. Good luck.

19 minutes ago, Lefty Yeti said:

First, welcome to the Range--it's more fun than you can even imagine.  see replies in red below

First, if the local SASS affiliated club you located in the club directory has a website listed that goes to a completely unrelated content, who should be notified?  It wasn't NSFW, but was a website for a company in China.  Google translate looks like it might be a domain squatter filling the page with various content and stock images, since the content isn't consistent

could be a club site that no longer exists and someone jumped on it.  you can email SASS HQ if it's a major problem for you

• Any advice for observing a monthly club match? Should I reach out to them in email first? You can email or just show up--we're a friendly group
  • After watching my first match, any tips on acquiring equipment?  whatever you do, DON'T start buying stuff.  Go to several matches, ask questions--we're proud of our gear and happy to offer suggestions.  Many clubs have folks that will load guns and leather for you to try out the sport--remember to ask about reimbursing for ammo costs.
  • Do you have to pick a costume category, or is shooting in just an open category acceptable especially for new shooters?  Jeans, long sleeved shirt and boots will get you in with little cost--hat is also good . . . just no baseball caps.  some folks stay at this level of clothing, others go whole hog--depends on the shooter's wishes.  We shoot in T-shirts and shorts in the summer but Houston is NOT the garden spot of the world in the summer.
  • California specific - Dealing with the handgun and soon any firearm 1 per 30 day DROS limits, is it worth it to get an FFL03+COE?  Especially considering ammo purchases down the road? I know reproduction clones are not considered C&R eligible, the benefit would be the waiving the 30-day between firearm purchases, and being able to have ammo shipped direct and avoid the ammo background check fee for each purchase, especially since finding ammo locally, much less loaded with all lead bullets is not exactly easy.  Long term taking on reloading would be the goal.  I'll leave this question for those knowledgable but you'll find many of us reload
  • Any suggestions for acquiring costume and gun leather for a bigger person?  I am about 6'2", and around a 60" waist. 
    • Period appropriate boots for size 15 extra wide, and needing a little more room in the vamp/tongue/to shaft area?  I have some Dingo 7" Harness boots that zip on the inside (not generally visible) but even those can be difficult to get on with any swelling, and not sure they are really period appropriate. 
  • Does anybody foresee any issues with the potential SASS alias of "Lefty Yeti" or just Lefty for short? I am also left handed, and have a decent tolerance for cold.  When I was recently at Spenceville range several people call or email HQ to see if those are available.  They are as friendly as we are
  • approached my wife to ask if I was ok down range placing my targets in 35 degree weather in a t-shirt.
  • I am trying to get my family interested as well.  My wife, teenage son, my brother, niece and nephew might be interested.  Is there any issues with sharing firearms among competitors in that situation?  I know my brother would probably lean more towards B-Western, and I would lean more towards classic cowboy.  both of those have firearm requirements so if that's the way y'all are heading be sure to know which guns are legal for those categories.

It looks like a minimum of about $3000 in firearms to get started with tax, DROS, etc - $1000-1500 for revolvers, $1000-2000 for rifle, and $500-1000 for a shotgun.  With that in mind, and for new shooters, are there suggestions for firearms that work for more than one category?  If possible I wouldn't mind splitting that cost up between my brother and I to some extent.

We have folks that share guns but everyone wants their own set.  Don't overlook folks in the club who have guns for sale.  could be backups they don't use and want to replace them with the currect "best gun in the whold world"

For example:

• If I read the rules correctly 1873 Colt Clones in 45 Long Colt can be shot in both Classic Cowboy and B-Western, .38 only in B-Western.  Am I correct?
  • However I didn't find any rifles that could be shot in both, are there? 
  • Different holster styles are required for Classic Cowboy and B-Western.
  • A side by side shotgun with working external hammers could be used for both Classic Cowboy and B-Western, but one with internal hammers only in B-Western, is that correct?

You've done your research--remember you don't have to start out in a category and never change.  I shoot Elder Statesman sometimes but could wander into duelist, or gunfighter on occasion.  

Sorry you're not in our neck of the woods.  We could outfit you in loaner guns and gear and let you get the feel of the sport/hobby/obsession.

Have you thought of moving?  <joke>

Not necessary to contact the Match Director to attend a match. However with all the china flu restrictions is would be a good idea. That way if the match has been cancelled you'll know ahead of time.

Welcome!  We are a diverse group and  you will no doubt get lots of answers to your questions, but let me start with a few.

First, let folks know where you are located.  (I did see in your post that you are likely in California, but that is a BIG State!)  Don't need the address, just a general area where you are and any locals to you who visit the wire will likely offer an invite to watch their next match.

Next, while you will no doubt be welcome to any match where you show up to watch, it never hurts to email the Match Director to be sure that they are still holding their matches these days as many clubs are shut down for either the winter or local Covid restrictions.

Third, the SASS Wire Club Listing directory is sadly out of date, however the listing in the back of the Cowboy Chronicle is much more accurate.  You can check out the latest edition of that publication here. Cowboy Chronicle.

As you noted, going to a match and observing is absolutely the best way to get a feel for things.  Out here in the Mid-Atlantic region, a couple of clubs offer first time shooters clinics and I would highly encourage you to see if there is one in your area.  Chuckaroo SASS 13080, our local TG and a Hall of Famer, put together a course that really does a good job of covering all of the bases.  It covers firearms, leather, rules, and lots of other information.  While an in-person session is the best, you can view the course material at the following link.

Chuckaroo's New Shooter Clinic

As for clothing, to get started, a pair of jeans, a shirt with no collar, and a hat, and you are good to go.  You can upgrade your wardrobe as the opportunity presents itself and many of the larger matches still have vendors or "Cowboy Yard Sales" where clothing gets sold.

You can also look up your alias using the search engine on the SASS Website.  https://www.sassnet.com/AliasLookup.php

Welcome to the Fire, and enjoy!

if you can get a FFL3 get one 

yes in CA it takes 40 days to buy 2 handguns 30 days inbetween purchases then 10 day wait on the second gun

take your  time on clothes and guns 

34 minutes ago, Lefty Yeti said:

Hello, 

First, I have been reading through the rulebook and posts, and wanted to ask a few questions.

First, if the local SASS affiliated club you located in the club directory has a website listed that goes to a completely unrelated content, who should be notified?  It wasn't NSFW, but was a website for a company in China.  Google translate looks like it might be a domain squatter filling the page with various content and stock images, since the content isn't consistent.  Try phone numbers if available

• Any advice for observing a monthly club match? Should I reach out to them in email first? Yes, I think it would be a good idea
  • After watching my first match, any tips on acquiring equipment?  Go to a few matches, talk to folks and try out anyones guns who offer so you can see what you like. Talk to folks at the clubs that may have guns for sale or loaner guns to help you get started. Please do not talk to anyone at the loading or unloading tables!!
  • Do you have to pick a costume category, or is shooting in just an open category acceptable especially for new shooters? You can start out shooting your age based category with very minimal costuming, and very generic equipment.
  • California specific - Dealing with the handgun and soon any firearm 1 per 30 day DROS limits, is it worth it to get an FFL03+COE?  Especially considering ammo purchases down the road? I know reproduction clones are not considered C&R eligible, the benefit would be the waiving the 30-day between firearm purchases, and being able to have ammo shipped direct and avoid the ammo background check fee for each purchase, especially since finding ammo locally, much less loaded with all lead bullets is not exactly easy.  Long term taking on reloading would be the goal.
  • Any suggestions for acquiring costume and gun leather for a bigger person?  I am about 6'2", and around a 60" waist. Check the classifieds for leather, when I started I bought clothing at Goodwill and modified it to work.
    • Period appropriate boots for size 15 extra wide, and needing a little more room in the vamp/tongue/to shaft area?  I have some Dingo 7" Harness boots that zip on the inside (not generally visible) but even those can be difficult to get on with any swelling, and not sure they are really period appropriate. Those should be fine to start in an age based category
  • Does anybody foresee any issues with the potential SASS alias of "Lefty Yeti" or just Lefty for short? I am also left handed, and have a decent tolerance for cold.  When I was recently at Spenceville range several people approached my wife to ask if I was ok down range placing my targets in 35 degree weather in a t-shirt. Call the SASS office when you join and they will let you know immediately if your alias is ok and available.
  • I am trying to get my family interested as well.  My wife, teenage son, my brother, niece and nephew might be interested.  Is there any issues with sharing firearms among competitors in that situation?  I know my brother would probably lean more towards B-Western, and I would lean more towards classic cowboy. Start age based and you can share gear.

For example:

• If I read the rules correctly 1873 Colt Clones in 45 Long Colt can be shot in both Classic Cowboy and B-Western, .38 only in B-Western.  Am I correct? Classic requires .40 cal. or larger
  • However I didn't find any rifles that could be shot in both, are there? Different rifles required
  • Different holster styles are required for Classic Cowboy and B-Western. Different holsters required
  • A side by side shotgun with working external hammers could be used for both Classic Cowboy and B-Western, but one with internal hammers only in B-Western, is that correct? Classic requires working external hammers or an '87 lever shotgun.

Hope this helps

Randy

Welcome to the fun You can shoot in a lot of categories in comfortable Leather street shoes , the lace up kind , a pair of Wranglers ,checkered Shirt with long sleeves  and a will to have FUN !!!

Don't buy any guns before coming out to a shoot or two ... There are many calibers between the Grand .45 Colt and the .38 Spl.  in fact all the best calibers for use with Black Powder except One fit in this group ....

Jabez Cowboy  

15 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Welcome to the fun You can shoot in a lot of categories in comfortable Leather street shoes , the lace up kind , a pair of Wranglers ,checkered Shirt with long sleeves  and a will to have FUN !!!

Don't buy any guns before coming out to a shoot or two ... There are many calibers between the Grand .45 Colt and the .39 Spl.  in fact all the best calibers for use with Black Powder except One fit in this group ....

Jabez Cowboy  

Is the .39 spl a new caliber?  :P

Sorry Janet, couldn’t resist... :blush:

Regarding your girth:  holsters have to fit guns, a belt must fit you waist.  A competent leather maker can make a belt to fit you.  I found a 2-inch wide tool belt on Amazon that would fit you.  Show up at a match with such a belt and someone could lend you holsters and guns for a try.   You may as well borrow guns and pay fellow shooters for ammo for now.  Commercial handgun ammo is unavailable and pistol primers to reload cannot be found.  However, shotgun shells are available.

Some shooters wear bib overalls.  Round House make bib overalls for up to a 74-inch waist.  They are currently on sale for $50 a pair.  Justin Boots makes a lacer black boot in your size.  See Hiram Black style 506.  I've wore this style of boots for years at CAS matches.

My wife was attracted to CAS through costuming though now is an accomplished black powder shooter.  Find a lady shooter who can talk costuming to your wife.  The ladies dress to dazzle!

Welcome!

The hat is optional, but some rifles will drop hot brass on your head.

Jeans, long sleeve button-up or snaps shirt, no lugs on your boots. No tennis shoes or t-shirts or baseball caps.

You can likely just show up, and ask to watch. You will then likely be asked if you would like to borrow some guns.

The odds of that do improve if someone knows you are coming. I was offered everything but brought some irons of mine, still got to try some alternative choices for the ones I had.

Stop spending until you attend at least one shoot, and a local club will likely let you slide on every detail for a first shoot. Make contact.

What city/town are you near, someone on this forum might be able to assist with that.

6 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Welcome!

The hat is optional, but some rifles will drop hot brass on your head.

Jeans, long sleeve button-up or snaps shirt, no lugs on your boots. No tennis shoes or t-shirts or baseball caps.

You can likely just show up, and ask to watch. You will then likely be asked if you would like to borrow some guns.

The odds of that do improve if someone knows you are coming. I was offered everything but brought some irons of mine, still got to try some alternative choices for the ones I had.

Stop spending until you attend at least one shoot, and a local club will likely let you slide on every detail for a first shoot. Make contact.

What city/town are you near, someone on this forum might be able to assist with that.

Out of my '73 carbine, my pencil-rolled brim hat collects 5 to 7 rounds of hot brass every stage that would be landing on me without it.  We wear hats for a reason.

Welcome!  Everyone up until now has had good advice, I hope I can keep that trend up.;)  Try a Startpage or Google search for the club you were looking for, they may have just changed their website and the main office doesn’t have the update.  It’s easy at the beginning to think you know what category you want to shoot, but be prepared almost everyone has changed categories at one time or another, me personally in 2 years I’ve changed 4 times.  Started out in age based, wound up now in Frontiersman, I fell in love with “The Darkside” as we call black powder after I went to a big shoot, the rest is history.  This is a particularly tough time to get into any shooting sport, just about everything is in short supply.  The best advice I can give you is take your time, talk to whatever club you want to join, chances are they’ll be able to get you pointed in the right direction, and once you decide on what kind of guns you want and you’re a SASS member post a WTB in the classified section a good used gun is a good gun. 

Welcome!  Nothing says Cowboy like a hat. (Where's Imis?)  Get a good hat, or at least one you like, and you will feel like a cowboy and everything else will fall into place.  Seems like a lot of larger folks like smaller hats.  Bowlers, Derbies.  Don't know why, but they look good.

Here ya go - Cowboy Action Venues.  That's probably more current than the official listing.  Can't answer your CA questions... I left that viper pit in the rear view mirror 30 + years ago.    Told the family that if you want a visit, come to TX... but I digress...

Yes, by all means, either email or phone the club contact as listed... (tho' it might be out of date... some folks forget that SASS only has the info the club provides.

Got out to a match or 3 or 4 and learn first hand what seems to be the most popular.  Or what fits in with the way you wish to participate.  The 2 costume categories are generally a progression of a person's interest in same.  Most... and I am sure there are some exceptions,.. folks start out in an "age-based" category.  There used to be 2 general purpose categories, "Traditional" and "Modern" depending on whether your sixgun had adjustable sights or not.  They've been abandoned and now folks are left to muddle their way into one of the myriad of categories that're sometimes unwieldy for even old hands.  

As for clothing, look at the list for what's "outlawed"... pretty short list, huh?  Pretty much, if you can find it in a 1880-1920's Sears catalog, you can wear it.  Even saw a guy once wear a 1890's NY Yankees ball cap... (Ok... it was a replica, but... )   Point is, not EVERYONE in the period 1860-1899 was a cowboy.  And not EVERYONE has to pretend they are.

2 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Is the .39 spl a new caliber?  :P

Sorry Janet, couldn’t resist... :blush:

First it Should be 35 Spl. it ain't No .38.... Secondly...    Thanks for the correction Lenea 

Jabez Cowboy 

Who might Just Put you on Santa's Naughty List ....

Welcome Lefty.  Looks like most of your questions have been answered above.  I'll just touch on costuming.  As stated, to start, a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt will get you started.  Don't be afraid to shop re-sale shops and  make your own.  You can start with a long sleeve dress shirt, cut the collar off and voila, banded collar cowboy shirt.  Remove the belt loops off a pair of black jeans, sew on buttons and add suspenders.  easier do do when you are starting with a $2 shirt and $5 pair of jeans from a resale shop.

2 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

First it Should be 35 Spl. it ain't No .38.... Secondly...    Thanks for the correction Lenea 

Jabez Cowboy 

Who might Just Put you on Santa's Naughty List ....

That was supposed to be Jabez. $&@! autocorrect!! :blush:

Welcome. PLEASE reread all the above and dont be in a big hurry to buy. You may not be able to find all the guns and gear that you will think you need/want right off the bat. Availability is a big issue right now. The sport is addictive and even better when the family plays too. 

Now , about hats. They catch our brass, shelter us from the elements and most importantly give us STYLE. So go get yourself a good hat.

Imis

54 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

Welcome. PLEASE reread all the above and dont be in a big hurry to buy. You may not be able to find all the guns and gear that you will think you need/want right off the bat. Availability is a big issue right now. The sport is addictive and even better when the family plays too. 

Now , about hats. They catch our brass, shelter us from the elements and most importantly give us STYLE. So go get yourself a good hat.

Imis

Imis prefers a 4' brim, he's better than a shade tree in the summer!!:D

Randy

And I would Bet you could lean on him if you ever had a need ...

Like so many Cowboys they can be counted on ...

Jabez Cowboy

:ph34r:  Welcome, Lefty!  If you're anywhere near the High Desert (Ridgecrest/China Lake) check out Robber's Roost Vigilantes.  1st and 3rd Saturdays, easy going and fun 6 stages.  Give a warning shout and we can accommodate your needs.  A good way to determine if this is your thing.

Hiya welcome to the place! You will like this bunch.

I outfitted my self, wife and 2 kids for this game and no way in the world did I spend 3,000 each on guns and leather. Don't get in too much of a hurry, go to a few shoots, borrow guns a few times, learn the ropes. Then  look for good used deals. Most everybody changes their mind at some point and buys new guns and sells their old ones. At this point in time I doubt your own FFL is going to speed things up any,  just not so many guns available compared to a couple of years ago, partially due to Covid. It might even slow you down if you wait until you get one to buy anything. 

Lots of new folks get the impression that you need to choose one of the two costume categories plus something else.  As you have noticed, those categories have very specific and mutually exclusive requirements.  

I started to reply to several people individually, but I would have been adding a bunch more replies to the thread so will settle for one reply so far.

I am near Sacramento, and the nearest monthly match timewise for me is River City Regulators at Yolo Sportsman's.  I actually stumbled upon them and the whole Cowboy Action sport looking for ranges near me.  I own a rifle currently, and while not SASS legal, it is in the same spirit - 30-30 Henry in Brass.  Not an 1860, but one of the current manufacture Henry's.  (well before they went to almost all models having a side loading gate)

As for hat, I have a Stetson I have owned since the late 1980's when I was involved in running a local rodeo in another part of California when I was growing up.  I have a white long sleeve dress shirt, and jeans.   So it is comforting to know I probably have basic dress down.

I find the comfortable word play, comforting.

Howdy Lefty 

Since almost everyone has said it I won't bother repeating "Go to a local match before you start buying stuff".

There's all kinds of cowboys. Rich, poor, big, small, short, tall, and extra tall like Wyatt.

If you're on a shoestring budget you can buy a 12 gauge single shot with an ejector for your shotgun. I always thought they would be fun. Used $100-150.

Pistols. Try Uberti cartridge open tops or Cattlemen. Under $1000 for the pair. They are pretty easy to change out springs too. Poor man's slick job.

Rifle. I won't lie. Here's where you're going to spend some money. You can buy a Rossi '92 for cheap but I've never seen anyone really happy with a Rossi. Find a used Uberti or Miroku in good condition. Probably around $1200.

I bought my first guns a little at a time.

The rifle I was lucky enough to find a Cowboy that would take $200/month.

Hope you enjoy the ride as much as I have. It actually changed my life.

I would just like to add that I am still very new to the sport. I started by attending a few local shoots and fell hard. I have been very fortunate with getting gear together from other cowboys. By going to local shoots and showing interest i have seen first hand how generous this community is. I have gotten all my guns and gun cart used from local club members at very fair prices. To be honest I bet a few of them took a loss on some of the prices to help me out and to help the sport. The people of this community are generally very helpful. Most of the people I have meet care more about the sport then they do $$$. I have been told many times its our responsibility to help the sport grow and live on for the next generation.  Good luck and hope you fall as hard as I did.

i started on a shoestring budget and as time progressed and i had the funds upgraded or added , i still have my first revolver - a tauras SS 45colt for a hundred bucks , i still shoot it , i bought it slicked from a friend who had done the same , its shot black and smokeless for many years by me and i have no idea what before that but its only had one repair in 15 years or more , there are folks that will set you up if you show the interest , 

Archived