SASS Wire Forum

The gift that keeps on giving

Whiskey Business

Been having a cold spell here in north Ga. One pipe in my basement sprung a leak. Fantastic. Good thing I have a water key to turn off my water. No plumber today, so I will have to turn the water on later to cook and shower. Then go back out in the cold to turn it off. Sometimes I want to sell this place and get a condo so I don't have to deal with this money pit.

However, shared walls and hoa's are not to my liking.

Warsaw, Mo.   Last Tuesday 62 and 4 of us went bike riding. Thursday morning 2 degrees. Friday 20 degrees, Saturday morning 22 but got up to 58. Today 60 degrees. Tomorrow 25, high 39. Freezing rain Tuesday and Snow Wednesday.

Typical Missouri Weather

Water line problems in houses are one reason I had ball isolation valves installed in various places in my house after having a pipe burst the first Christmas after we had moved into our house 31 years ago!  Couldn't get a plumber.  Fortunately, I was able to cut the line  behind the break and install a copper cap that I happened to have (actually was using it on an intertial bullet puller!).  After that, I had a bunch of these valves installed.  Good thing, because I noticed the hot water faucet in my bathtub was leaking, even though tightly turned off.  Went down to the basement, located the proper ball valve, turned the handle. Problem solved until I can get vaccinated and allow a plumber in the house.  I can turn the valve on to take a shower, etc., then turn it off.  A little inconvenient, but it works.  Ball valves are much superior to gate or other types. Ball valves seal well, and it only takes a 90 degree turn of the handle to actuate.

Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year, Pards!

After living in houses for years and then living in an apartment for a short while a few years ago while looking for a home I have vowed never to live in another apartment or condo again. I recommend you spend a week or two in an Extended Stay America or some short term corporate apartments before buying a condo. Just to be sure. ;)

1 hour ago, Whiskey Business said:

Thank you for the advice. Will look into these valves. I know it's the valve leaking.

Can you post a picture of the leaky valve for me? 

We use the ball type valves here in the park. As we have two different thicknesses on the supply lines, we have both types, the shark bite and the screw in nipple type. They require some clamps as well. Changing a valve in the warmer weather is not too bad, during the cold not much fun:rolleyes::blink::(:blush:

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

After living in houses for years and then living in an apartment for a short while a few years ago while looking for a home I have vowed never to live in another apartment or condo again. I recommend you spend a week or two in an Extended Stay America or some short term corporate apartments before buying a condo. Just to be sure. ;)

We bought this place 21 years ago and it has been a good investment as well as a great place to live. Property values keep on going up. And, could not ask for better neighbors.

I get frustrated with maintenance, yet condo life is so not me.

15 hours ago, Whiskey Business said:

...I know it's the valve leaking.

It could be as simple as turning the nut around the valve stem (dependent on the type of value).  

Archived