SASS Wire Forum

'73 firing pin spring

Possum Skinner, SASS#60697

Go to a ACE hardware store with your Bolt in hand. Then go through their drawers of springs and find something that fits in the hole. Adjust it by cutting and stretching it back out if need be.

sb

1 hour ago, Possum Skinner, SASS#60697 said:

Thank you!  I forgot about Numrich.

Randy, I think so, but maybe not.

Boogie's is a small diameter pin and he said it didn't really matter if you used a spring or not. It may matter on a larger diameter firing pin? This is also in one of his bolts if it makes any difference?

Randy

6 minutes ago, Fireball #7709 Life said:

@LQ Jones you got some to sell?

I haven't purchased in quantity yet..... Possum Skinner, try Parker ballpoint click-pen springs. Otherwise, Shotgun Boogie & Palo Verde sell them. The springs are an uncommon size; .145" OD, .120" ish ID, .750 long. I did find some as part of a handyman assortment once.

LQ

1 hour ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Boogie's is a small diameter pin and he said it didn't really matter if you used a spring or not. It may matter on a larger diameter firing pin? This is also in one of his bolts if it makes any difference?

Randy

I don't really know, but probably does make a difference.

Thank you all for your help.

Possum

As an additional.  Uberti toggle link rifles will operate just fine without the Firing Pin Return Spring.  CAVEAT:  The PRIMARY purpose of the Firing Pin Return spring in Uberti rifles is to prevent Slam Firing from the inertia of the Extension Rod.  VORSICHT!!

20 hours ago, Griff said:

you might also just take one out of your ball point pen... :ph34r::ph34r:

This is what I did when I lost mine.  Runs great!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2020 at 4:34 PM, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

But Cemetery . . . Does it go "Click Click" when it retracts??  :P

I'd say more of a Clink Clink as the gun is cycled.  Funny, I never knew that was the spring I was hearing.

Archived