SASS Wire Forum

How Cold Was It?

Subdeacon Joe

The fierce cold and thick snow layer caused more than discomfort during the Battle of the Bulge. These had a major influence on the performance in battle. During the winter conditions, condoms were slipped around the sights of anti-tank guns and also over the mouthpieces of radio receivers and telephones, because they immediately frozen due to the breath condensation. The turning mechanism of tanks had to be thawed. Weapons and magazines became covered in snow and frozen. Machine guns blocked first. The .50 heavy machine gun was badly needed to shoot at enemy snipers in trees or other hideouts. During the battle, the medics were the most respected and important company members. They were entrusted with pure alcohol to prevent the water from freezing in their canteens from which they allowed the injured to drink. "The stimulant effect of the alcohol doesn't hurt either," added a report.

Follow us on instagram for more pictures and stories https://www.instagram.com/battlefieldtoursgron/

FB_IMG_1609093984681.jpg

The Norse version of an afterlife of punishment and eternal torment is called Hel.

It is not an inferno, it is not a lake of never ending fire.

It is a place of bone shattering COLD, where the marrow in a man's bones grows ice-spikes and the pain is on a level that only profound cold can give!

I've no idea the ambient temps but that picture of a frosted up Browning is genuinely frightening!

At -52 deg. F. even straight 5W crankcase oil in your car probably has the consistency of asphalt!  Doesn't matter if you've taken the battery out of the vehicle, into the house for 12 hours or had a tank heater connected.  Turn the key and the engine just goes errrr!  At -37 the car (a 1965 Ford V8 station wagon)  started right up! :o  Guess how I know! :P 

Started my VW bug once when it was -30 F back about  '74.  It went err, err, rumble, pop, err, err, rumble, rumble, putt, putt, putt, faster putts and then caught roughly for a minute and then smoothed out.   We squeezed 4 people in to go to work because I had the only car that started.

Archived