SASS Wire Forum

Santa came a bit late.

Captain Bill Burt

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The gun my father gave me is ready to go.  The one I bought needs a little more more work on the bore, but it's pretty much ready.  I have the caps for several matches, plus enough on order for probably all of 2021. I need to talk to @Scarlettand buy a few  pounds of 2ff APP when our schedules next cross. 

I also need a source for .44 balls.  Any suggestions?

I went in to sportsman warehouse. The only powder they have is black...triple 7 or pyrodex. I might be shooting frontier too. Now I know I don't want that rustex in my guns but they had a bunch of triple 7 2f or 3f  $30 for the small jugs I think they a pound. They had blackhorn too heard that's good stuff $43 for 10 oz bottle

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

The gun my father gave me is ready to go.  The one I bought needs a little more more work on the bore, but it's pretty much ready.  I have the caps for several matches, plus enough on order for probably all of 2021. I need to talk to @Scarlettand buy a few  pounds of 2ff APP when our schedules next cross. 

I also need a source for .44 balls.  Any suggestions?

How many do you need? I believe I have quite a few ... I can send some FFg home with @Max Payne from Dark Day... he said he was ok with being my “mule” :D

Hugs

Scarlett

41 minutes ago, Black RZR said:

I went in to sportsman warehouse. The only powder they have is black...triple 7 or pyrodex. I might be shooting frontier too. Now I know I don't want that rustex in my guns but they had a bunch of triple 7 2f or 3f  $30 for the small jugs I think they a pound. They had blackhorn too heard that's good stuff $43 for 10 oz bottle

The black horn or buckhorn 209 is not a SASS approved black powder substitute. I am the distributor for American Pioneer Powder and ship by the case 12 pounds/case. I ship 1, 2 and 4 case quantities. Feel free to email me at Bulletsbyscarlett@gmail.com. 

Hugs!

9 hours ago, Scarlett said:

The black horn or buckhorn 209 is not a SASS approved black powder substitute. I am the distributor for American Pioneer Powder and ship by the case 12 pounds/case. I ship 1, 2 and 4 case quantities. Feel free to email me at Bulletsbyscarlett@gmail.com. 

Hugs!

I sent you a pm. Thanks 

On 1/16/2021 at 8:37 PM, Black RZR said:

As Scarlett pointed out Blackhorn209 is not SASS legal and is a really hot powder.

If you look at the T7 labels you will note that one is for cartridges only and one is muzzle loader only. T7 is a lot hotter than real BP or APP so buy the T7 grade for your application.

You can use T7 for CAS just keep in mind that it is a lot hotter so you will need to load less powder and use a wad or a little filler so that the ball lightly compresses the powder.

I can't tell if you kept your A.S.M. gun or not, but jwcchris on ebay has a large stock of Armi San Marco parts if you are ever looking for something and they combine shipping.  I just bought a bunch of parts for my 1860 and 1858 ASM guns and was looking for something they didn't have listed.  I contacted them and they said they had it, they listed it so I could buy everything and ship together.  Very helpful.

44 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

I can't tell if you kept your A.S.M. gun or not, but jwcchris on ebay has a large stock of Armi San Marco parts if you are ever looking for something and they combine shipping.  I just bought a bunch of parts for my 1860 and 1858 ASM guns and was looking for something they didn't have listed.  I contacted them and they said they had it, they listed it so I could buy everything and ship together.  Very helpful.

I sold the ASM Army and bought another Pietta Navy.  I'm probably going to have Mike at Goons Gun Works slick them up some. 

43 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Captain Bill Burt I really recommend @Springfield Slim SASS #24733  prices are good, quick shipping.

I appreciate the info!  I've already spoken with Mike and worked out a deal though.  He's local to me, only about 45 minutes away, so I won't be dropping the guns off until he's ready to do the work.  

Buy the real stuff-FFFg for your revolvers. Real black powder, even with shipping, looks to be cheaper than the subs.

540-888-3349 Back Creek Gun Shop, Winchester Va - Black Powder & Musket Caps - Goex, Swiss, & Schuetzen black powder, musket & pistol caps, lube, patches. N-SSA (blackpowderva.com)

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I appreciate the info!  I've already spoken with Mike and worked out a deal though.  He's local to me, only about 45 minutes away, so I won't be dropping the guns off until he's ready to do the work.  

I actually was talking about Springfield’s balls, he ships fast and his balls are shiny and smooth :ph34r:, he tumbles them against each other.

I think you’re going to like what Mike does to your guns, I know I do.  He worked on 2 Remington NMAs, I can run 6 stages without a hiccup and after 6+ months of shooting them 2-3 times per month I still haven’t had to do a deep cleaning.  Be patient the wait is worth it.

2 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I actually was talking about Springfield’s balls, he ships fast and his balls are shiny and smooth :ph34r:, he tumbles them against each other.

I think you’re going to like what Mike does to your guns, I know I do.  He worked on 2 Remington NMAs, I can run 6 stages without a hiccup and after 6+ months of shooting them 2-3 times per month I still haven’t had to do a deep cleaning.  Be patient the wait is worth it.

Thanks!  I just ordered 1,000.

Archived