SASS Wire Forum

Santa came a bit late.

Captain Bill Burt

10 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

So rather than have the Kirst people do it go with Curly Bill?

Tried to pm you about Curly Bill.  Said you weren't receiving PM's.

Looks like Tyrel may have the same info.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Griff said:

That would be wussin' out from Frontiersman... :ph34r::ph34r:

I do have a reputation as a wuss...can't get away from it.

18 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Yes, because he'll set them up to do both.

Send me a PM and I'll say a little more(your inbox is full).

Sorry, I just cleaned it up a bit

7 minutes ago, Ringer said:

Tried to pm you about Curly Bill.  Said you weren't receiving PM's.

Looks like Tyrel may have the same info.

My inbox was a bit cluttered but has been cleaned up!!  

This may be a bit of an expensive indulgence, but I like the idea of a brace of 1851 Navy revolvers in polished steel,  5 inch barrels and blued cylinders with Kirst Konverters to .45 colt.  Given they would be centerfire I bet I could get them slicked up real nice and still have good looking blackpowder pieces. 

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

So I've been thinking.  Dangerous I know.  My new 1851 is scheduled to be delivered today and I can hardly wait.

Anyhow, I'm thinking buy another 1851, polished steel sheriff's model like the one that's coming in today,  and send both off to have Kirst Konverters installed so they can shoot .45 colt cartridges, BP of course.

I think that would be a nice looking set of revolvers and very appropriate for black powder.

Ha!

The hook has already been set deeply in this one!

Gonna be fun to watch!!

:D

Well, traded for an Uberti SAA in .44-40 today. It has some of the best looking Color Case I've seen in a long time. Now to find another .44-40 revolver...

On 12/31/2020 at 2:41 PM, Barkeep Casey said:

Hmm are you thinking what I am thinking Tyrel and Tequila?? Tennessee State could get even more interesting if all us guys get these Cappers figured out.

Ill show how to sort out your cap guns if you can teach me to shoot faster!

12 hours ago, Griff said:

Ill show how to sort out your cap guns if you can teach me to shoot faster!

Griff, You are an incredibly fast shooter. It is your conversations with the posse between guns that is killing your transitions. Food for thought......:D

40 minutes ago, Barkeep Casey said:

Griff, You are an incredibly fast shooter. It is your conversations with the posse between guns that is killing your transitions. Food for thought......:D

You're already a good black powder shooter... I feel smoke being blown up my derriere...:P:D:D  I promised Doc RoyLPain I would seriously compete this year at BAC... I've already started... so instead of glacial... my times have improved to simply "slow"...:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

What are these? A capper and what?

513F219F-E6D7-4A4D-9A34-EC46E8E3E654.jpeg

E1F9BEEA-8463-4B5E-ADFC-BCC32AF3B193.jpeg

It's a powder measure; I have one just like it. And I think you should have brought those out on Saturday... ya chicken?

13 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

It's a powder measure; I have one just like it. And I think you should have brought those out on Saturday... ya chicken?

Well since I just got them today I couldn’t have brought them out last Saturday!

Having no black powder, bp substitute, nor .44 caliber bullets, I would be very ‘chicken’ about my chances using these revolvers.

18 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Well since I just got them today I couldn’t have brought them out last Saturday!

Having no black powder, bp substitute, nor .44 caliber bullets, I would be very ‘chicken’ about my chances using these revolvers.

Well, ya shoulda just come and shoot anyway! There!

And we coulda SEEN yer new toy (one of em, anyway)

Spray the fouled surfaces with Ballistol, let it sit for a day. Run a patch to remove the Ballistol/crud, wash with hot soapy water.

Dry, reapply Ballistol, clean again in a week. Repeat until no more crud shows up on a clean patch.

You gotta the solvent time to do its job.

The powder measure looks like mine, expands from 50 grains to 100.  See "parting line at base, hold ball end and pull outer barrel, will have detents every 10 grains by volume.  

Hopefully previous owner didn't shoot Pyrodex out of it.  May need to clean it repeatedly the 1st day,; then once a day for three days, then maybe check on it once a week for a few  weeks.  

4 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Can anyone answer my question about the nipples and the hammer on the new gun not seating fully? @Tyrel Cody?

Not sure what you mean. Could just be the difference in guns. The hammer face shouldn't actually touch the nipples though. I can't remember the actual measurement, but the hammers should just kiss the caps but not touch an uncapped nipple. 

Best bet is get some Slixx nipples for both guns. The newer gun may not have the correct nipples installed, no way to know. 

1 minute ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Not sure what you mean. Could just be the difference in guns. The hammer face shouldn't actually touch the nipples though. I can't remember the actual measurement, but the hammers should just kiss the caps but not touch an uncapped nipple. 

Best bet is get some Slixx nipples for both guns. The newer gun may not have the correct nipples installed, no way to know. 

I have a pic above that shows the difference.

3 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I have a pic above that shows the difference.

I saw that. Looks about right to me on the newer gun. Could just be differences in the hammers, the top of the hammer (where the rear sights are)  extends past the face and is probably longer on the old gun. 

20210114_063457.jpg

11 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I adjust mine till I can just slide a piece of paper between the hammer and an uncapped nipple.

4 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Thanks Tyrel.  I think I'll buy two sets of Slix nipples when they become available again next month.  Any comment on those caps Warden posted on another thread?  Worth buying?

I remember having trouble with them staying on the nipples, but if you can't find Rem 10s/11s or CCI 11s...

48 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Adjust with a nipple wrench?

Nipples are installed until they are a little more than finger tight. Torquing them down just causes problems with removal. be sure to use anti-seize in the threads before installing. 

I fit the hammer face to the nipples with an india stone. You want the hammer face to just touch the nipple. This prevents the hammer from pounding on the nipples which damages the nipples and the hammer face.

On 1/12/2021 at 5:48 PM, Captain Bill Burt said:

What are these? A capper and what?

513F219F-E6D7-4A4D-9A34-EC46E8E3E654.jpeg

E1F9BEEA-8463-4B5E-ADFC-BCC32AF3B193.jpeg

Nipple Primer. I fill mine with FFFF when I can find it.

I adjust the nipple.  Hammer should "almost" touch the nipple.  You'll know when it ain't close enough, intermittent ignition.  You'll know when too close a;lso, mushroomed nipples!  

5 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Nipple Primer. I fill mine with FFFF when I can find it.

:huh:

On 12/28/2020 at 2:50 PM, Waimea said:

I just read this.

Are you thinking of doing all this before the Dark Day in '21?

If so, I'm thinking I need to buy some ambition from you.:lol:

Ambition is back-ordered, just like everything else.

Archived