SASS Wire Forum

Greatest Western Actors...

While this is undoubtedly true, it sounds idiotic. James Stewart.

>but the popular actor was also a military officer— he was a private in the Army Air Corps during the World War II.<

They don't mention that he started as a private, became a lieutenant, and ended up a brigadier general. Just "he was a military officer - he was a private".:rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

While this is undoubtedly true, it sounds idiotic. James Stewart.

>but the popular actor was also a military officer— he was a private in the Army Air Corps during the World War II.<

They don't mention that he started as a private, became a lieutenant, and ended up a brigadier general. Just "he was a military officer - he was a private".:rolleyes:

Thank you, Alpo, for the clarification.

During WWII, then a LTC, flying B-24's, Stewart took over lead for his group when the group CO was shot down on the Black Thursday raid on Ploesti.  Stewart took his group to an alternate target (the primary was either too heavily defended or had already been hit and was obscured by smoke...I don't recall what I had read).  After the war, he remained in the Air Force Reserve and retired as BGEN USAFR.  I may be wrong, but I believe he lost a son in Viet Nam.

2 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

During WWII, then a LTC, flying B-24's, Stewart took over lead for his group when the group CO was shot down on the Black Thursday raid on Ploesti.  Stewart took his group to an alternate target (the primary was either too heavily defended or had already been hit and was obscured by smoke...I don't recall what I had read).  After the war, he remained in the Air Force Reserve and retired as BGEN USAFR.  I may be wrong, but I believe he lost a son in Viet Nam.

henry fonda lost a daughter there - least shes dead to me .......

One of the best westerns there is, is also one of the least known. It starred Robert Mitchum, Walter Brennen, Robert Preston, and Barbara Bel Geddes, to name just a few. It was entitled: Blood on the Moon...made in the 1940's, in glorious black and white. 

Great list of western stars. 

Since there are fewer westerns being made, it makes one wonder if there could be any future actors added to that list. 

Ohhh...whatever happened to Randolph Scott, riding the trail alone...

Thank for the list Miss Allie. A nice walk down memory lane.  

W.K.

One thing about most of the older western stars is that they had great, identifiable voices and manners of speaking. The ones who were around long enough, when they spoke it was familiar and comfortable to hear them. An example is Ride the High Country with Joel McCrae and Randolph Scott in I think their final roles.

That was a fun read, thanks Allie. Or, as Bob Hope used to say, thanks for the memories.

Cheers!

Archived