SASS Wire Forum

No More 3G

As Ace_of_Hearts reported in another thread, service from ALL cell phone providers on 3G will come to an end on December 31, 2021.

Well, poop.  I've been more'n happy with my Samsung Rugby flip phone (first a Rugby II for four years, then a Rugby IV for six years) for over ten years.  Supposedly "mil-spec," they were darned rugged!  Those things were dropped, kicked, dunked, sat on, critter chewed, thrown...  they were TOUGH!  Not much for internet stuff, but hey - they were phones, and as such, they were great.  In my not-so-humble-opinion.

Then, about a month ago, a nice young lady from AT&T called me and said "Gee, Mister C, we're so sorry but we won't support your old phone much longer... you need to 'upgrade'!"

I assured her that I was quite happy with my old "primitive" but rugged phone and had no desire whatsoever to "upgrade."

To make a short story shorter, after a bit of discussion she said "Look, Mister C, we'll send you a FREE Samsung smart phone and lower your monthly bill by almost ten bucks!"

Well alrighty then.  

So now I have this "phone" that thinks it's smart, and evidently it's primary mission seems to be to demonstrate that I am not.  *Grump*  

Well... at least I've managed to not drop kick the danged thing.  So far.  :wacko:

I hate my smartphone. i had a phone with a little slide out keyboard for texting and a button for send and one for receive. Never needed more than that as I would use my computer for anything else.

Isn’t that the way of technology these days? It’s not that technology is so advanced. It’s that technology is tied to profit. If they want more profit, just disable older technology and come up with a new catchy name for it and Viola! You are hip because they made you hip by forcing you to use the “new technology”, aka turning off functions of technology that no longer makes them money...

But I said all that to say I love my iPhone XS Max. I do a lot of cool stuff with it even though I did love my old Motorola stainless steel cases flip phone. This iPhone kicks butt!

If they do away with 3G we won't have service. The tower we get service from is a 3G tower and a poor one at that. We have been griping to Verizon for several years but they won't upgrade it. There is a 4G tower in town but it is out of range. Service used to be good but the older the tower gets the more dropped calls we have. Used to have signal strength of 4 bars anywhere on the place. Now 2 outside maybe 1 in a building.

My area switched to 4G quite some time ago. Now I don't get dial tone hardly anywhere. The towers in my area weree operated by a competition company that went out of business and apparently Verizon hasn't seen any reason to restore it.:angry:. God knows what 5G will do to us! Like you guys, I miss my old 2G flip phone!

I turn my phone on when I go to town. It only works there.   Then I turn it off when I get home. ;)

9 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

please note:  "a phone is only as smart as the person using it!"

:P

Then mine is stupid as a box of rocks.

I've worked with computers since 1966 (NCR 500) and at almost every job I've had since.. I still don't understand them, I don't use 95% of the features, I don't like them, and I don't trust them.

13 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

please note:  "a phone is only as smart as the person using it!"

:P

This was the wording of a sign outside a mobile phone sales and repair shop; .....

....... they had to take it down at lunchtime on the first day because of complaints .......

.....   :wacko:

Howdy,

I like being able to take a picture, save it then send it to a friend

thousands of miles away. All in a couple of minutes.

Without waiting to shoot the rest of the roll.

Without waiting for the roll to be developed.

Without waiting for the post office to deliver the picture.

I can call someone on the phone and interupt their day or

I can speak a message which my phone types for me and 

after checking the text, I can sent it for them to read and reply 

at their convenience.

I got to see pix of the Dec 21 star from Maui while local clouds covered it.

I did like my razor.....

Best

CR

The newer phones will be 4G and should be 5G capable.

The 5G network will not be in operation for some time as the towers (transceivers) will have to be within a thousand feet of one another. This will pretty much limit 5G to "in city" use only. The purpose of %g is to have much faster and larger bandwidth than the current system. This will allow streaming video and the like on your cell phone.

Those of you that have older security systems using the 3G network will be hit with an upgrade cost very soon.  

Archived