SASS Wire Forum

Question About My Nipples

Tequila Shooter

Since Remington #10 caps are just about impossible to find today I started using CCI #11’s.  I was using Slixx nipples with the Remington’s and never had a problem.  I bought these nipples from Track of the Wolf Nipple , to replace the Slixx and had nothing but problems.  I shot 6 stages and on every stage I had to pull the hammer twice to get the caps to go off.  I’m going to make a guess that the caps were not seating all the way no matter how hard I pressed them on and the first hammer strike fully seated them then the second one set it off.  Has anyone else had the same problem?  I thought I’d run an emory cloth around each nipple and see if that helps or I could put the Slixx nipples back on and try them with the #11’s.  Thoughts?

Verify the the TotW nipples are the correct length. Easy test is to take a strip of paper just a little narrower than the hammer. Place it over the nipple and the lower the hammer. If the hammer pinches the paper you are ok. If not the nipple is the wrong length. 

are you using reduced power hammer springs?

Hey TS:

The caps that must be hit twice, are being seated with the first blow, and ignited with the second blow.

If it were me, I would purchase a six-pack of Treso nipples #11-50-106:

(https://www.ebay.com/itm/Treso-Ampco-Nipples-Italian-revolvers-set-Nipples-6x-75mm-threads-11-50-106/372249292094?hash=item56abc96d3e:g:nzUAAOSwICxaqsi3)

CCI #11s are the same internal diameter as Remingtons, and midway in height between Rem #10 & Rem #11.

Once on the nipples, be sure you seat them well with a piece of dowel or antler.

Now, this is only a suggestion, as I have never used CCI caps (always Remingtons) or TOW nipples (But I have heard that they are good).
I have used Treso nipples for many many years.

Recently (last few years) I have tried Slix, and have found them to be good nipples (I still prefer Treso).

Then, when Remington caps become available again, buy a lifetime supply.(That's what I did, and now do not worry about shortages).

BTW, did the same thing with Federal primers.
--Dawg

26 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

are you using reduced power hammer springs?

SD - I don’t think so, the guns were worked on by Goon’s, but I don’t remember.  I’ll try the paper trick.

54 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Why did you replace the Slixx?

The Slixx description says it’s for Remington #10’s and since I switched to #11’s I may have incorrectly thought that I needed a different nipple.

Rem # 10 & #11 have the same internal diameter.
#11 are not as deep as #10

c.jpg

45 minutes ago, Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 said:

Rem # 10 & #11 have the same internal diameter.
#11 are not as deep as #10

c.jpg

So does that mean that the height of the cone should be shorter or longer for the #11’s?

Cone height stays the same.

The #10s just go farther down the cone than #11s.

--Dawg

PLUS ONE for Prairie Dawg (ALL)

The Remington #10, Remington #11 and the CC#11 all have the same inside diameter.  the Remington #10 has a longer skirt than either of the #11s.  The CCI Caps also have a slightly thicker amount of priming compound and may not seat quite as deep on the nipple.

Since the Slix nipples are optimized for the dimensions of the Remington Caps, a switch to CCI #11 WOULD NOT/DID NOT require a change from your Slix Nipples.  Plus Slix nipples are pre pierced for "T" bones and Treso are NOT :rolleyes:

I'm using the TOW nipples on my 1860's with Rem. #11 caps and no issues since I installed cap rakes. Previous to the rakes, caps kept falling in the hammer slot after firing. Otherwise all went bang the first time. I use a short honey dipper to push them on to the nipple.

29 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

and no issues since I installed cap rakes. 

"Cap rakes"? I'm pretty new to c&b and have not heard that term before.  Would you enlighten me.  

BS

24 minutes ago, Barry Sloe said:

"Cap rakes"? I'm pretty new to c&b and have not heard that term before.  Would you enlighten me.  

BS

Rakes are a small pin in the hammer slot to keep the caps from falling off when the hammer rebounds. Here's a couple pix I took when I did it.IMG_20190818_174246.thumb.jpg.fd6d19ee8302c5f0d112ab6cf4ebcc1b.jpgIMG_20190818_174317.thumb.jpg.4e74cdc967754a2b1e229f23c9bfcb63.jpg

I did the job myself on my drill press. If I remember right it was an 3/32 bit or maybe a 5/64. I then cut off a piece of the shank to use as the pin and used "stud mount locktite". Coffin Maker gave me the tip on the bit size, my memory just seems to blank on the size! LOL

If the caps are not seating all the way on the nipples, check to see it the mouth of the cone has been bradded by hammer falls. Tresso's are made of fairly soft material. If you are running heavy hammer springs you could be bradding the cone.

Lucky

Another approach to solving cap sucking. Duelest1954 famous nogging in the way video. 

I (almost) never have a cap jam. I think it may be luck or maybe because I leave in the stock heavy springs.  I think the heavy hammer spring keeps the busted cap on the nipple.

I've had my Colt 2nd Gen 1851s modified by having the "Manhattan Conversion" done.  This is done by narrowing the gap for the hammer, narrowing the hammer and filling in the pit slot in the face of the hammer.  I don't have cap jams.  

capshield_012.jpg?width=450&height=278&f

capshield_007.jpg?width=450&height=278&f

I had my 1st 1851 Colt modified by a gunsmith in Santa Ana, CA in 1987, the week before EOT.  The others were done by Rowdy Yates in about 2004.   My understanding is that this modification of the Colt design was introduced by the Manhattan Firearms Co. shortly before the outbreak of the Civil War, as the Colt patents were expiring.  Hence the name of the modification.

Rowdy did the Manhattan conversion on 3 pairs of my 1860s.
The rest of my cap guns have cap rakes installed by Coffinmaker. 

My cap guns are as reliable as cartridge guns.

Dawg

UPDATE - @Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329, @Colorado Coffinmaker, @45 Dragoon

@Tyrel Cody

I put the Slixx nipples back on as suggested and they test fired without a problem, thanks fellas.

Oh and by the way for those that might have had sucking nipples, I don’t have that problem with the Remington NMA’s. :ph34r: 

4 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Tyrel Cody

I put the Slixx nipples back on as suggested and they test fired without a problem, thanks fellas.

Oh and by the way for those that might have had sucking nipples, I don’t have that problem with the Remington NMA’s. :ph34r: 

Glad you got that fixed.

I don't like Remmy's, thats why you have them B)

21 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Tyrel Cody

Yep -- issue Resolved -- YAHOO!!!

Don't have that problem with Ruger Old Armies either!
--Dawg

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

PLUS ONE for Tyrel Cody.

I don't like Remingtons.  Beat the devil out of my Social Finger (Ouch).  Don't like Rugers neither B)

See I like my Remingtons, always been afraid to get a Colt clone because of cap sucking and arbor issues.  I’m not a huge Rugers fan either, especially for BP.

Tequila,

I understand your concerns.  However, the Short Arbor Syndrome is primarily a Uberti problem.  Cap Sucking is a problem with ALL current Colt Pattern Replicants.  I am personally a fan of PIETTA Cap Guns, and properly set up, with Cap Rakes, ALL of mine are as reliable as any Suppository Shooter you betcha.

Archived