SASS Wire Forum

IJ Shotgun WW(you)D

Joke 'um

It is an Iver Johnson, single shot, 12 ga..  As you can see, the barrel is rather long.  36 in. to be exact.  It is labeled, "12 GAUGE CHOKE BORE".  Gotta assume that's full choke.  Well cared for.  Tight.  Someone's ol' duck gun?

The question is, what would you do with it?  Not good for waterfowl these days due to steel shot regs.  The nostalgia belongs to the previous owner.  Resale/collector value low.  Looks like it would deliver a great pattern of 4 buck at 40 yards.  Chop it for defense?  Chop it for SASS?  Leave it alone?

Ideas and discussion welcome.

20201226_113542.jpg

20201226_113521.jpg

Leave it alone, and you might come up with a good use for it later.

Go ahead and use it for a duck gun.  It is a single barrel, if it does develope a bulge behind the choke, so what? It will still shoot OK.

Duffield

Nice looking old gun, I'd be inclined to keep it as is.

Use it for SASS it’s long enough to just poke the targets over. Seriously since I don’t shoot for score load that thing up with black powder and make large clouds of smoke 

29 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

Use it for SASS it’s long enough to just poke the targets over. 

Stole my thunder. :lol:

That’s a nice looking shotgun. I wouldn’t change a thing. 

I am kind of curious what is meant by “choke bore”. I did some searching and really didn’t find anything on that term. 

I just found a question & answer on the Firearms Forum that said all IJ single shots had full chokes.

I have no idea of who the authority was that made that statement.

Dffield

I would leave it be. I have a Steven’s long Tom. But what is strange to me is this one is a 16 gauge. Always just saw them in 10 and 12 gauge. This one teased me too long at the local gun shop. It followed me home one day. Still need to take it out and shoot it 

Hang it over the fire place and make up some wild story as it was used by General Slobknocker during WW eleven.

It was used to wipe out a German machine-gun bunker, etc... etc... etc...

..........Widder

Shoot bismuth shot shells.  Before I bought a Benelli SBE II I used bismuth when water fowl hunting with my 1970's vintage Remington 1100 after the lead ban for migratory bird hunting.  Bismuth is soft & is denser than steel.

I don't know as I have ever seen an Iver Johnson with a rib and checkering...maybe a limited run?? Never seen an Iver Johnson long tom before either

12 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Cowboy Clays side match. I sought out a 36" single shot a couple years ago just for this - it didn't help me much.  :D

Yeah, barrel length doesn’t help on mobile targets if the gun shoulders and handles like a 4x4

1 hour ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Yeah, barrel length doesn’t help on mobile targets if the gun shoulders and handles like a 4x4

Actually, it handles and points pretty nicely.  Gotta learn not to run the muzzle into the carpet when moving it in the house.

The consensus seems to be strongly "keep it as is", so far.  Thanx.

17 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Cowboy Clays side match. I sought out a 36" single shot a couple years ago just for this - it didn't help me much.  :D

that was my thinking too , excellent for the purpose , and quite nice looking find as well , congrats 

3 hours ago, Joke 'um said:

Actually, it handles and points pretty nicely.  Gotta learn not to run the muzzle into the carpet when moving it in the house.

The consensus seems to be strongly "keep it as is", so far.  Thanx.

I’d keep it!

Archived