SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 73 Rifle w/ Trigger Slop

Wade Butcher

Good morning, everyone.

I recently purchased a slicked-up Uberti '73 rifle, and I noticed that the trigger has a lot of slop in it. Even when fully cocked, I can shake the rifle, and see/hear the trigger slopping back and forth. Is this normal? (I'll try to post a short video with audio to illustrate the question.)

I'm used to my semi-auto pistols and DA revolvers, and those have ZERO slop. Even my Henry Big Boy Classic has ZERO slop. Is this just a normal Winchester '73 thing?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

W.B.

Normal, two piece trigger that is part of the trigger safety.  Lower the lever.  The little spring loaded tab is the other part of the safety.  Designed to help prevent out of battery discharges.

Unfortunately, stock Uberti 73 rifle triggers are not consistent.  My wife's stock trigger has very little take-up and very little over-travel and our cowboy gunsmith had to do very little to the trigger except to lighten the trigger pull a little.  In my two 73's (.357 and .44-40) and our shared .357 carbine backup, the trigger movement looks identical to your video.

Larsen is right on point about the lever safety (the little spring loaded tab) he mentioned.  It's precise procedure to lighten the lever safety so it functions correctly, but does not interfere with being able to rapidly fire the rifle.  My gunsmith advised me to leave my "wobbly triggers" alone, because everything else was working very well and smoothly.

That said, a few of our local shooters who consistently shoot stages in the mid-teens, and are willing to spare no expense to cut fractions of a second off of their times, have installed the Shotgun Boogie adjustable trigger (the link is listed below).  This trigger allows you to remove all the take-up and over-travel.  The shooters I know, who use it, love it, but at $189.00, plus shipping, I'm not willing to take the plunge.  

Uberti '73 Trigger Kit – SBGW (sbgwllc.com)

9 minutes ago, TN Mongo, SASS #61450 said:

Unfortunately, stock Uberti 73 rifle triggers are not consistent.  My wife's stock trigger has very little take-up and very little over-travel and our cowboy gunsmith had to do very little to the trigger except to lighten the trigger pull a little.  In my two 73's (.357 and .44-40) and our shared .357 carbine backup, the trigger movement looks identical to your video.

Larsen is right on point about the lever safety (the little spring loaded tab) he mentioned.  It's precise procedure to lighten the lever safety so it functions correctly, but does not interfere with being able to rapidly fire the rifle.  My gunsmith advised me to leave my "wobbly triggers" alone, because everything else was working very well and smoothly.

That said, a few of our local shooters who consistently shoot stages in the mid-teens, and are willing to spare no expense to cut fractions of a second off of their times, have installed the Shotgun Boogie adjustable trigger (the link is listed below).  This trigger allows you to remove all the take-up and over-travel.  The shooters I know, who use it, love it, but at $189.00, plus shipping, I'm not willing to take the plunge.  

Uberti '73 Trigger Kit – SBGW (sbgwllc.com)

I got the Shotgun Boogie version 2 I think and it works really works well. Yes it is expensive and I doubt it made any difference in my times except I don't think I jack out as may live rounds as I used to. All Shotgun Boogie products are extremely high quality and he repaired a rifle for me on site at EOT. If you can afford it and want to try it I recommend it and his bolt with spring extractor and replaceable tab.

Randy

I don't see that bolt for sale on his site.

1 hour ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

I don't see that bolt for sale on his site.

You might have to call him about it. He installed mine at 2019 EOT. I had called him prior to EOT about repairing my bolt and he told me it would be better to replace it with one of his new one. I haven't regretted it.

Randy

The new Uberti 73 bolts have a replaceable lower bolt tab.  They are available from VTI, Taylors, and Cimarron.  Buy the whole bolt assembly; it's a much better deal than just the bolt.

Archived