SASS Wire Forum

Is an achilles tendon fixable?

Alpo

Book I'm currently reading the hero got jumped by a couple of people and he sliced the Achilles tendon of one of them.

Just curious as to whether the guy would be permanently crippled or whether it can be sewn back together somehow?

Had two let go when my heels broke up. Said I would never walk. They were able to pull them down and reattach. Took a day or two but I'm walking.

As is said, recovery is SLOW.  I had surgery to repair it two months ago, began range of motion exercises after one month when cast was removed, and have just begun strength exercises.  Physical therapist sez that healing is slow because tendons don't have as much blood supply as do muscles.   Age may have an effect (79).

Broke one playing basketball.  Took a year to fully heal.  Asked the doctor if I could play sports involving jumping.  He said he never heard of someone breaking two, so go ahead.  I managed to break the other one a month later playing volleyball.  The both healed, but it's never the same. 

I took up golf. 

Many athletes have suffered torn Achilies tendons. Seems to take about a year to recover. 

The one that stands out to me is Dan Marino, but others have been sidelined by the same injury over the years. Most have returned to competition, perhaps because they had access top quality medical treatment and intensive rehab paid for by their respective employers.

I broke a friends once playing backyard football. Sounded like a 22 cb/short going off. I thought I broke his leg. Took a long time to recover. Hard to remember almost 30 years ago

21 hours ago, Alpo said:

Book I'm currently reading the hero got jumped by a couple of people and he sliced the Achilles tendon of one of them.

Just curious as to whether the guy would be permanently crippled or whether it can be sewn back together somehow?

Yes, thick braided suture.  But it takes a fair amount of time for the tendon ends, or tendon to bone, to knit together.  

1 hour ago, McCandless said:

Yes, thick braided suture.  But it takes a fair amount of time for the tendon ends, or tendon to bone, to knit together.  

I was lucky I guess. I had to heal bone. When my heals shattered the tendons were still attached to small pieces of bone. Minor tearing of the tendons themselves. They stretched them back down and screwed together what was left. The rest just kinda grew in. 

I ruptured mine at the Ohio state shoot in 2009. I saw three different surgeons . 2 said it tore too high and they said they could not fix it?

Dr. Bunch ( former team surgeon for the Boston Celtics) said maybe he could, but no guarantee? I went with a cast and physical therapy for

9 weeks. No surgery, It took about a 2 months to get off the crutches. My surgeon said I will always have an imperfect gate (limp). I still can't get

much weight on the ball of my foot, so I have learned to walk on my heel. I can't run anymore but I shuffle along perty good. 

J. R. Hammer

sass 45907

Archived