SASS Wire Forum

It was so cold

Irish Pat

It was so cold, I saw politicians with their hands in their own pockets.

It was so cold, I saw a dog frozen to a fire hydrant.

It was so cold, Frosty knocked on my door to come in and warm up.

Nice revolver, too bad that pretty wood grip is cold and hiding.

5 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I'm going to need a cooler to keep my food from freezing next weekend!

Buddy of mine had to do that once elk hunting in Wash. State........inside a travel trailer!

JHC :o

29 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

Buddy of mine had to do that once elk hunting in Wash. State........inside a travel trailer!

JHC :o

Froze my milk and pop in my cabin once. The high for the day was -12. Got up to 50 in the cabin after a couple days!

It is so cold here that the pan of hot water that I sat out for the dog to drink froze so fast the ice is still warm.

Duffield

Once I was working for an outfit that had me and my partner busting ice so the cattle could drink.   They provided us with a cabin, but we had to cut our own wood.  The place had no insulation, just 1" pine boards and the door and two windows didn't stop much outside air from getting in so we packed the cracks with old pieces of oil cloth, burlap, and pine needles.  The daytime temperatures were about 30 below zero, nights were even colder.

One morning my partner woke me up and showed me some small ( 1-2 inch diameter)globes that he found in his bed when he woke up.  They were transparent and slightly greenish-brown in color and we couldn't figure out what they were nor where they came from.

Anyway, we got a fire going in the sheet iron stove so we could tolerate the cold and make  somewhat warm breakfast.  We set the globes in a pan on a table next to the stove and while I was getting dressed my partner yelled "They're thawing out and they smell like crap!"

I'd never even heard of a frozen fart before.

It was so cold in central Montana one night back in the late '60's, that when I went to relieve myself, I could hear it crackle as it turned from liquid to crystals in mid-air! :o Wind chill factor was off the chart!  "Thirty-below, with a thirty-mile-an-hour wind, exposed flesh freezes in 30 seconds!  :o:o:o

Historical note:  The saying, "It was cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey!" had nothing to do with an anatomically correct statue of a small primate made from brass.  In the days of wooden sailing men-o-war ships, cannon balls were stacked on a brass base that was shaped to hold the projectiles so they could be stacked in a pyramid.  The brass base was termed a "monkey".  Brass will expand and contract (thermal coefficient of expansion) more than iron at a given temperature.  If the temp got low enough and the "brass monkey" contracted too much, it could result in the cannon balls rolling off the base!

Granddad spoke of waking in the old home place and walking across the kitchen floor, headed for the outhouse of a morning, and watching the ripples in the water bucket.
He came back in and the bucket was frozen solid.
Supercooled water ... that slight vibration was enough to set up the crystal structure!

Archived