SASS Wire Forum

#11 vs #10 percussion caps

Cypress Sam, SASS #10915

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

@Prairie Dawg, SASS #50329 has a white paper on the differences between the different caps. 

What is a “white paper”?  Assuming it’s a write up on what the differences are, how can I access it?

46 minutes ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Is there any reason that #11 caps couldn’t be swaged down to #10 size?

1095989066_CapresizingDec2020.jpg.d390650b834878af80c6fae3d9d3045b.jpg

It works.  I used a drill bit that measured .154. Drilled the wire tool out. Pinch cap and turn 90 and pinched again to remove slight ridge formed from first pinch. They run through the Ted Cash capper fine. Fit tightly on Pietta nipples.  Shot maybe a 100 without issues. 

1 hour ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

What is a “white paper”?  Assuming it’s a write up on what the differences are, how can I access it?

Not at home so I can’t access it but PD had a pdf article another SASS shooter did several years ago detailing the dimensions of each brand and style of caps. 

8 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Not at home so I can’t access it but PD had a pdf article another SASS shooter did several years ago detailing the dimensions of each brand and style of caps. 

I found this in my reference files from 2011

Percussion Caps and Nipples

I believe that Ampco nipples are made out of Barilium.  Please excuse my spelling.  I was told that this substance was a very dangerous metal and should not be filed or drilled.

39 minutes ago, Nickel City Dude said:

I believe that Ampco nipples are made out of Barilium.  Please excuse my spelling.  I was told that this substance was a very dangerous metal and should not be filed or drilled.

AMPCO is a safe replacement for beryllium copper in many uses

I've been running Remington #11 caps on Slix nipples for over a year without any issues.  Never had a cap fall off either.

Thanks everyone for your input.  I learned a lot about percussion caps and nipples.  Turns out what I was “assuming” was completely wrong.  I may even break out the 1860 Armies and give them another chance!

Archived