SASS Wire Forum

Love or Hate?

Ace_of_Hearts

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

5 plates with 10 shots shouldn't be too hard. As mentioned you have options on the last plate so it's not too small if you build or order one of these. How many times have clubs used these and you had only 5 shots to knock them down or they were misses? Never seen one used in that manner.

2 minutes ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

5 plates with 10 shots shouldn't be too hard. As mentioned you have options on the last plate so it's not too small if you build or order one of these. How many times have clubs used these and you had only 5 shots to knock them down or they were misses? Never seen one used in that manner.

It does require actually aiming and having the gun shooting to point of aim.  One that shoots several inches off and it's real easy to miss a 10" plate.  I've seen people leave 10" plates up after 10 shots.  More often,  the 5 plates go down then miss the BIG dump target! 

11 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

Hate !!

But love them Bar-3 chickens?

1 hour ago, Hells Comin said:

I also like them there Chickens. I like plate racks, just not the tombstone ones Cowboy "ACTION" shooting. 

T-Bones' counter-balanced rack is certainly so very, very, very s-l-o-w... but, shooting gunfighter, using one gun to start it moving, the second to speed it up, can be challenging!  But, when it works, it's fun!  Especially as even my .36 Navies can take 'em down!

1 hour ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

the last plate is pain with pistols 

fine with rifles 

IMG_0517.JPG

How big is the last plate and how far away?

We use essentially the same tombstone racks from DS Welding in CA (not sure they are still in business) but I replaced the smallest plate with another of the same size as #4.  Still a challenge, but that last plate is a lot more shootable.  Almost forgot to answer the initial question: love it.

9 hours ago, Smokin Gator SASS #29736 said:

There are 6 plates!

6 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

How about reversing the  plates small to large .

any miss on the first small plate would knock down one of the back plates depending on how much you miss by 

it would be interesting 

our plate rack has removeable plates  will try it next time we shoot  just the cable reset wont work 

4 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I’d rather a KD pistol/rifle target then a SG popper, I hate those.  

I miss more birds in 2 poopers than I do in a a round of cowboy trap

at steel challege  I watched former state champ  hit a popper with 9MM revolver 

Love.     

Personally I think every match should have reactive targets.   A plate rack,  popper, texas star or something fun.  None are hard at the distance we shoot.    After as many beginner shoots as I've done I have come to realize nothing sets the hook faster.     Watch the face of the new shooter as they shoot a brain dead up close  huge target array,  then watch the same shooter on one where something moves or drops or bounces.   It's not even close.    

Now should you do one on every stage,  no,  variety is key

18 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

There’s an idea. Plate rack with Bar-3 chickens instead of tombstones. :rolleyes:

Damn Bar 3 chickens....I heard they took up skin diving a while back. :lol:

Kajun

We have 13 stages, one setup with tombstone (5) and one parallel 10 plate.  20 rounds for 15 targets then 4 shotgun.  Another stage a parallel 10 plate rifle and pistol cowboys.  We also have a swinging target and a sliding snake on other stages plus cowboys and Indians, large and small. Regular targets large and small so we have plenty of variety.  We move all targets monthly except Plate racks, snake and swinger.  The snake and swinger are at the side of stages and we have the option of using them. Trying to keep everybody happy.

Memphis Gunslingers

I made mine so that every part can be removed, including the legs, so it would be easier to move around.

I can move mine by myself once dis-assembled.

16 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

How about reversing the  plates small to large .

I think splatter, etc. would knock the following targets down.

19 hours ago, Dirty Dog Doug said:

how about this plate rack they are all a pain with pistols 

with rifle we can go alot faster  no having to wait to plate to fall to shoot the next target 

IMG_0526.JPG

Folks that have watched me shoot will be flabbergasted that I, of all people, would say... :if you're waiting to see if a plate falls, you're WASTING TIME!  And if the MD sez to "knock 'em down in order", fast shooters will be voting with their feet!  

13 minutes ago, Griff said:

Folks that have watched me shoot will be flabbergasted that I, of all people, would say... :if you're waiting to see if a plate falls, you're WASTING TIME!  And if the MD sez to "knock 'em down in order", fast shooters will be voting with their feet!  

I understand I was talking about the inline plate rack  the big targets take a half second to fall and let us have a shot at next target 

I like reactive targets, we have plate racks, tomb stone, texas star, pepper poppers that toss up target,  targets that come to you and ones that go away.  The thing I don't like is that some take a long time to reset.   The texas star is the worst one and if your on a lazy posse a lot of work falls to a few people.   Bullett 19707

Love it and shot them. Great target like the small ones for the rifle lined up.

On 12/25/2020 at 10:45 AM, Major BS Walker Regulator said:

This + we usually allow to clean up the racks with shotgun. 

I always enjoy a match that mixes things up and adds variety such as plate racks or small bonus targets.  While it is fun to rip through a stage it's also fun when a stage makes you think a bit.  Allowing to clean up plate racks at the end with the shotgun balances it all out.  

Recently shot a match where the plate rack was engaged with pistols on the first stage and then two stages later you engaged all six plates with the shotgun, that was a hoot!  

Shotgun VS. Plate Rack!

20 hours ago, Griff said:

Slo pokes too.

Archived