SASS Wire Forum

Love or Hate?

Ace_of_Hearts

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like.

I like tombstone racks, plate racks, etc.  Anything that makes everyone think and aim a bit more than normal.

Not that I'm very good at them, then again, that could be said for a target the size of the side of a barn... LOL

Merry Christmas!

Grizz

We added a plate rack at our club the middle of 2019.  We use it about every other match. 

We shoot at another club that has a tombstone in one bay and a plate rack in another.  As they set up 6 stages on 3 bays,  4 stage scenarios are always essentially the same every match.  

Depends on your match philosophy...

If you're writing wide open full throttle matches; then plate racks generally slow your shooters.

If you're attempting to challenge their accuracy or power factor - then plate racks fit right in.

Reactive targets are fun - but they widen the gap between top shooters and mid pack.  

Plate racks are also heavy, awkward and limit stage design - especially if a club is short of laborers to set and pickup steel.

I personally do not believe they show a good return on funds for a limited use target.

Hate is such a strong word. How about dislike. 

If I showed up at a monthly and they used one for one stage, then I wouldn't complain.  If I came back the next month and they used it again I'd probably not come back for a good while.

I like them!  I like to see shooters use their sights on a stage now and then.  We hae a set at one of the clubs that I belong to, we don't use it at every shoot but have used it for both rifle and pistol. 

Blackfoot

30 minutes ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

I like to see shooters use their sights on a stage now and then.  We hae a set at one of the clubs that I belong to, we don't use it at every shoot but have used it for both rifle and pistol. 

+1

For me, the fun in CAS mostly comes from variety! 

I bought 2 of those tombstone plate racks from MGM several years ago.  I had the smallest target deleted and used the next to the smallest size in it's place.  The smallest target is very small and MGM swapped it out at no extra charge when I ordered them.  The plate racks are very heavy.  It will take 4 strong people to move them.  They are a lot of fun to shoot and add variety to the stages.  

One thing to consider:   If ricocheting or deflected rounds leaving the range is a concern for you, this may not be the target for you.  Just something to consider.

I am up for any thing as long as it’s stand and deliver. The more movement the better. It nice to have to run run once in a while.   
the more shotgun targets the better

It depends on the stage instructions.  We use them at the Southern Missouri Rangers.

If you are required to knock down 5 plates in 5 shots, they can be aggravating..  If you are allowed 10 shots to knock down 5 targets without counting misses, it’s fast fun.  We usually do it the second way, instructing shooters to dump unused rounds on another plate after the last knockdown falls. Misses are knockdowns remaining standing or misses on the dump plate.  Folks here must think it’s fair, no one complains. 

3 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

It depends on the stage instructions.  We use them at the Southern Missouri Rangers.

If you are required to knock down 5 plates in 5 shots, they can be aggravating..  If you are allowed 10 shots to knock down 5 targets without counting misses, it’s fast fun.  We usually do it the second way, instructing shooters to dump unused rounds on another plate after the last knockdown falls. Misses are knockdowns remaining standing or misses on the dump plate.  Folks here must think it’s fair, no one complains. 

THIS^^^

For variety I like them.  As J-Bar stated, we use them at SMR.  We have two of the tombstone racks, one positioned for pistols on a stage and one positioned for rifles on another.  We also have a third stage with parallel knockdown racks - one each for pistol and rifle.  Since we have 12 stages on a permanent CAS range (no need for target removal after a match) and enough standard targets on the stages with the racks to not always include them in a scenario, they add variety to our shooting.  Yes, we’re spoiled. :P

7 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

This + we usually allow to clean up the racks with shotgun. 

The oddest tombstone rack I remember shooting was the shotgun rack at Shady Creek in Illinois.  The front target must have been 24 to 30 inches tall and the back about the size of our normal shotgun knockdowns.  It was fun.

Add a target on both sides & do a Nevada Sweep starting oncenter target.Or??                       

Largo

1 hour ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Add a target on both sides & do a Nevada Sweep starting oncenter target.Or??                       

Largo

Start with pistols finish with the rifle. Have to knock down a plate before you can continue. Only misses on the stationary or plates left standing count. 

4 hours ago, BLACKFOOT SASS #11947 said:

I like them!  I like to see shooters use their sights on a stage now and then.  We hae a set at one of the clubs that I belong to, we don't use it at every shoot but have used it for both rifle and pistol. 

Blackfoot

Used two in our November match. I was shooting my Spencer and shot one backwards (back to front) and got them all! :lol:

Archived