SASS Wire Forum

When He Has The Ball

Subdeacon Joe

Which one is praying?

1 hour ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

Looked all normal to me. Just busier than a cat in a litter box. Nice approach.

PF

From the article:

“This video was actually recorded while I was on deployment and at a time in my flying career when I really started to feel comfortable behind the boat. So much so, that we were definitely pushing the envelope on this particular pass (for as much as you can in a C-2, ha!) by coming in fast and breaking extremely early,” Rob told us in an email.

“Typically for a carrier break in an E-2 or C-2, you turn about one mile past the ship. For this pass though, it might have been 1/5 that distance. This is why I’m repeatedly looking out the window, as I’m trying to gauge just how far abeam we are from the boat and making sure that we are setting ourselves up to intercept a typical approach turn portfolio, which finally occurs just before I get on glide slope and start flying the ball.”

“Also, the co-pilot in this video is an incredibly skilled pilot who was senior to me at the time. He backed me up throughout the entire approach and I absolutely could not have successfully attempted this pass without him.”

Two comments:

All of us continually look out the window at the boat while on the downwind leg and approach turn. The objective is to wind up exactly as he did, on the extended 

centerline with the airplane nose slightly in front of the boat. The still picture shows exactly how the angled deck affects the required flight path. The wake shows the actual course of the ship, but unlike a straight deck carrier, the landing area is "moving sideways". You cannot come straight down the glide path but you have to lead it due to the angle. 

You can tell by the expression of the co-pilot that he has no concerns about this approach.

As I said earlier, nice approach.

PF

Archived