SASS Wire Forum

44 Rusian loading help needed

Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409

I am trying to set up my Dillon 550 to load 44 Russian. I cannot seem to get the funnel far enough down to flair the case mouth quite enough. I have had the powder measure on and off so many times I lost count and my patience. No doubt there is something that I am overlooking. Previously I was loading this caliber on a turret press. Any insight would be appreciated.

Hochbauer

I've never had a problem.Have you checked your powder die?

Largo

I don't load on a 550C.  I load on a pair of 650s.  However, it sounds as if your powder thru die is not down far enough.

DO NOT take the powder measure off the powder die.  Just loosen the clamp screw (just one) enough to turn the powder die in the tool head then start turning the die down.  When you get where you ant to be, tighten everything up.  Good Luck.  Oh, and YES!!  I do load 44 Russian on my 650.  And C45S (also short).

Howdy Hochbauer,

That cartridge is such a PITA, I gave it a new name when I loaded it for my brother Dutch all those years. Its called the 44 Bastard! I called Dillion about the problems I was having and they couldn't help me, sooooooooooooooooooo I just quit reloading it, problem solved!

Merry Christmas!

JB Sledge

I duno, I've loaded it on my 550 for years with no problem using Dillon dies. Still have threads left on the powder die. Like Coffinmaker said to adjust the die. 

May have to take the Loc nut off & put it on the bottom side of the Die to get down.

Largo

Huzzah...success. 

I had 2 powder funnels both marked the same one was longer than the other I suspect one was mismarked. Switched them out and then screwed the die to about the last thread and that issue is resolved just one more to overcome but that will need a replacement part for the primer system seems one of the holes are stripped and the assembly wobbles.

Thanks for your input

Hochbauer

IE decapping/sizer die, I use all 44 mag. It works just fine. No need for special dies. You may have to grind off some of the bottom of the crimp die to shorten it up for it to work.

Archived