SASS Wire Forum

What is"wealthy" these days?

Alpo

We have no bills, and live comfortably on social security.
I have no need to touch my investments, nor what they earn.

I certainly wish I could shoot out my back door, but I can't, and don't want to go into debt to do so.
The last time I could do that was as a kid, shooting out my bedroom window in the 1950s.
Never since.

4 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Where I live, in CA. you can shoot on your property. I hear shootin' most days. :wub:

That's not a big deal. When I worked on the south side of Chicago, they were shooting all the time on public property and everywhere else.:P

13 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

70,000 isn't going to get you very far in my part of California. An older 1600 sq ft house in a decent neighborhood can cost you 3,000/month to rent. That would be more than half your pay, and that's assuming the 70 K was take home. I'm lucky I have lived here a long time, since before most of the house value madness set it.

It was an average for several years ago, and I would imagine would need to be adjusted for inflation. 

The lesson from the study stands regardless of the amount though. Money has a finite contribution to make towards happiness.

1 hour ago, Whiskey Hicks said:

It was an average for several years ago, and I would imagine would need to be adjusted for inflation. 

The lesson from the study stands regardless of the amount though. Money has a finite contribution to make towards happiness.

I don't trust these studies. If someone could give me $100,000 next year and add $50,000 the following year(s), I'll let y'all know when I stop getting happier.

There's the philosophical approach -- 'What is wealth, really?' Once basic needs are met, wealth cannot be established with material things.

There's the relative approach -- No matter how much you're worth, there will be someone to whom that level is piddling.

There's the situational approach -- Having sufficient resources to respond to a need or some level of desire.

Anecdotally, I hear that most big lottery winners wind up broke and miserable. I don't know any, so I can't say.

I have been blessed. 2020 me is amazingly beyond 1974 me in all respects -- family, friends, resources. When I try to think of what I'd do with 'more money', it just comes down to slightly better-polished versions of what I'm doing now. 

Primers. I'm not out yet, but I could use some small pistol primers. Other than that, I'm good.

Bought/bartered lots of various types of primers at an estate sale, so good there.
I do have a tub of I4350, but I'd like to find some H4895 and '06 brass for the lean times ahead.
We are gonna be more "wealthy" in 5 more days.. when the kids move out and get the keys to their first home.

I was sent to China numerous times by my job in the 2009 to 2015 period.  Some of these engineers and managers were starting to make money.  They asked me everytime if I was wealthy and eventually would ask if they were wealthy.

I had never really thought about (having grown up modestly and working since I was 14), but I determine that wealth has more to do with comfort, maturity and having enough money that one is not required to have a job to maintain a desired lifestyle.

9 hours ago, Maddog McCoy SASS #5672 said:

That's not a big deal. When I worked on the south side of Chicago, they were shooting all the time on public property and everywhere else.:P

I read Chicago hosts shooting competitions every weekend!

I gave my two daughters $3500 each this fall - I don't know that I'd be called wealthy, exactly, but I have way more than my needs require, and my investments are making more than I ever did as a working man.

The bummer part: having to get so damn old before our ship "comes in."
I've been pounding it into the heads of my younger two:  GET OUT OF DEBT and STAY OUT OF DEBT.

We've had #4, her hubby and the grandson at home with us for 5 years.
The intent was getting her through nursing school and bachelors in nursing, without incurring student debt.
When they finally are moved out, I will no longer have to give her $20 to get lost for the night, so her mother can chase me around the house...

22 hours ago, Smoken D said:

My home is for sale, $279,900 and is 3,188 sf, sits on a bluff over Truman Lake and surrounded by 750 Corps acres. Shows the difference between Ca. and Mo. And as a bonus I can step out back and start shooting.:D

If that is your situation why are you selling your house?

Kajun

1 hour ago, Krazy Kajun said:

If that is your situation why are you selling your house?

Kajun

Wasn't suppose to be for sale till the estate sale, but things happen in life, and death.

Guns, ammo, food, kitty food and kitty litter are my major needs.  Gifts for my children and grandchildren are bonuses.  I gave away most of my money. I'm a retired investment banker and have no debt  I handle my own financial affairs.  My currently liberal college gets nothing. The VA gives this atomic veteran everything for free. My only concern is being healthy enough to be able to keep shooting.  My major expenses are feeding my weekly dinner to my neighbors, hosting my annual neighborhood dutch oven dinner, maintaining my shooting range, helping my Sea Scouts and insurance, gas and care for my car and RV.

So, I must be comfortable  :P

Archived