SASS Wire Forum

BATF Drops Pistol Brace Witch Hunt

Lawdog Dago Dom

Some good news for gun owners. Thanks to all who took the time to email BATF as well as there Congressmen/women. When they tried to ban the steel core 223 ammo, they got over 80,000 emails. The vast majority were NOT in favor of the ban.

We must stay active and respond to issues like this to ensure our rights stay with us, and future generations.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/general-notice/sb-criteria-withdrawal-notice-12-23-20pdf/download

11 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Can someone please post a link to see the proposed reg? I’m unaware of it. Thx!

It was a guidance paper, not regulation.  I did not read the 16pages.  According to the gun websites, the paper said Sig braces would actually be a SBR and be an NFA tax stamp item.

12 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Can someone please post a link to see the proposed reg? I’m unaware of it. Thx!

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=ATF-2020-0001-0001

37 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Regardless of the ATF’s timeline, Kamala said they’ll do it through executive order.

An executive order is not the law. Kamala Harris is not the president. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Would you like in on the lotto on how soon she will be president?  It seems that Hillary was seen coming out of Kamala's house a couple nights ago....

It's just a matter of time before it happens.

Those braces are stocks under an assumed name.  You know it.  I know it.  The ATF knows it. 

Put a stock on a pistol that shoots rifle ammo and you have a SBR according to NFA'34.  That means Fed registration and tax stamps- just like it has since '34.  Folks with those pistols are relying on a 'policy' and 'interpretation' by current ATF bureaucrats for the gun's status.  NFA'34 hasn't been changed- the ATF has just set a 'policy' that favors their ownership at the moment.

And policies tend to change when there's a change in management.

Considering that an 'interpretation' that the owners of the SBR wannabes isn't actual law, don't be surprised (or act butt-hurt) when somebody comes along and changes 'interpretations' or 'policies' and actually enforces the law that is on the books.  It's gonna happen, the only question is when.

Personally, I'd beat the rush- either go ahead put a normal stock on it and register it as an SBR or sell the thing before there's a glut on the market of the things and you can't give one away.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Biden said he’s going after AR platforms.  Kamala was doing the interview I saw.  If they make all AR platforms an NFA item, the ATF doesn’t have to separate the Sig brace.  

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Not yet but just wait a few months, ole Slow Joe will trip over his dog and break a hip and they’ll put him down just like a lame horse. 

Kajun

@Krazy Kajun nope, Joe will get 2 years, then Kamala steps in. That way she could try to run twice more, as someone can only serve 10 years as President. And Michelle will be her VP.

The only reason the SBR is even in the NFA is because they originally intended to tax stamp and license all pistols like they did machine guns. The Democrats in congress balked at that to FDR saying it was a bridge too far and it would hurt their re-elections and they couldn't support it. So, they deleted the pistol language and didn't get around to bothering to delete the SBR language, which without the pistol tax and licensing made no earthly sense. 

As we all know the NFA was an attempt to practically ban all firearms for the common man except "sporting rifles and shotguns." The only thing in the whole NFA - which was at least arguable (though I think still wrong and in violation of the bill of rights) was that machine guns were at least mechanically different in function than non-machine guns and presented a threat to the public. Silencers, SBR, and the like were and are no great threat to the public. Just a load of crap. 

Let the FDA regulate Tobacco and Alcohol. Let DHS regulate explosives. And leave firearms alone. 

As per those that say well the ATF will ban them anyway or make them NFA items - yes they may try - but I think given todays climate they may find that they have wakened a bear that may result in them regretting that they did so - I forsee a huge growth in 2nd Amendment santuary counties and states. 

6 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

A rifle (meaning a shoulder fired weapon with rifled barrel) with a barrel less than 16 or a total length less than 26”.   Different than a pistol which is designed to be used single handed.

You mean like this guy or any of the 100's of other videos out there?

Like I said, those 'braces' are stock in all but name.

2 minutes ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

You mean like this guy or any of the 100's of other videos out there?

Like I said, those 'braces' are stock in all but name.

In most cases they are indeed just short stocks.  Problem is, until recently it was hard to get a SBR tax stamp.  Now it’s simply time consuming.  I think average wait is about 11 months.   It also comes with some legal responsibilities.  If people were allowed to own sbr’s like in Canada there would be little use for a arm brace.   

7 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

In most cases they are indeed just short stocks.  Problem is, until recently it was hard to get a SBR tax stamp.  Now it’s simply time consuming.  I think average wait is about 11 months.   It also comes with some legal responsibilities.  If people were allowed to own sbr’s like in Canada there would be little use for a arm brace.   

No, the problem is that the most recent ATF bureaucracy has allowed them to hit the market through 'policy' and 'interpretation ' rather than Congress making changes to the actual law.  Now that there's different bureaucrats at ATF that are taking over, those 'policies' are going to change because they have a different 'interpretation' of NFA'34.

Archived