SASS Wire Forum

Grip and Epoxy Question

Tequila Shooter

I recently got a set of stag grips for a pair of Remington NMA’s.  There is a gap at the top where the grip meets the frame (semi-circle area).  I spoke to the maker and he suggested using neutral colored epoxy to fill the gap.  I’m hoping someone has some experience with doing this and can give me a recommendation on the epoxy.

31 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I recently got a set of stag grips for a pair of Remington NMA’s.  There is a gap at the top where the grip meets the frame (semi-circle area).  I spoke to the maker and he suggested using neutral colored epoxy to fill the gap.  I’m hoping someone has some experience with doing this and can give me a recommendation on the epoxy.

Much depends on the size of the "gap". Epoxy is liquid plastic and for small gaps it works well but has little strength. To give more strength and some color a small amount of sawdust can be added. For even more strength wood shavings can be added. The color will be darker than the original wood used.

For stag grips you would need a small piece of stag horn to sand to color the epoxy. Horn, when mixed in epoxy, does not turn dark when mixed. Experiment!

I build RC submarines.

I have 9 bonders and glues that I use depending on material and application.

Epoxy is used but it depends on what I am wanting to hold.

The longer it takes to cure the better the bond.

Anything less than 30 minutes to cure is not water proof or even water resistant.

1 hour is the minimum I use if exposed to water.

10 minute cure if I know it will not come in contact with water.

I will set the work up so I can apply the epoxy leaving ends or corners clean.

Place the parts together with epoxy and then CA the clean places to hold it for the time needed to cure if you can not clamp it.

Epoxy is used where a strong hold is needed and I do not want it to move during curing.

I have some glues that expand during curing and must be clamped well if I do not want the parts to move out of place.

Epoxy has it's limits but for what you are trying to do, I think it's a good choice.

Epoxy will shape well if you take your time with files and sand paper.

Go slow and test fit a lot.

If I paid what a pair of stag grips are selling for and there were issues with fitment, I’d send them back for a refund.  

I agree with what Colt6732 said.  Custom grips are not cheap and you shouldn't have to be repairing the grip makers mistake.  But if you do decide to take on the project yourself, and you are going to try to fill the space with the grip on the gun, make sure you use either wax or a release agent on the frame.

He said he got some Stag grips, he didn't say he sent them his gun or frame to custom fit them. So they might be really close, but not actually fitted to HIS gun.

4 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

He said he got some Stag grips, he didn't say he sent them his gun or frame to custom fit them. So they might be really close, but not actually fitted to HIS gun.

Exactly right!  The Remington NMA’s grips vary from maker to maker even from year to year.  The pair of pistols I’ve got are both Piettas from different years, the grips are all identical but the fit is different on each gun, go figure.  That’s why I don’t fault the grip maker, without the guns a perfect fit is just about impossible.

My question still remains what is a good neutral color epoxy? 

Brownells acra glass gel is a pretty neutral color. It can be dyed as well. It is also thicker consistency than a lot of epoxies so it is easier to work with. Very tuff stuff too. 

If there is enough grip you could possibly move the pin hole on the bottom inside of the grip and push the grip up to fill the gap. It is easier to relocate the pin hole then try to fill in any gap and make it look right. As others have said grips usually don't fit perfect if not custom fitted.

I use K & G 's epoxy for antler knife handles. Its real close to the color you are looking for. I use it for just about every thing.

https://knifeandgun.com/products/k-g-epoxy-8-oz?_pos=2&_sid=ebac5bdfe&_ss=r

Jasper

Sorry, but that gap is way too big, send 'em back.

20 hours ago, Colt6732 said:

If I paid what a pair of stag grips are selling for and there were issues with fitment, I’d send them back for a refund.  

Unless he sent the guns to have the grips fitted, there's no way to get an exact fit.  There's too much difference gun to gun due to the casting method with these fairly cheap Italian percussion guns.

4 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I just sent the maker an email.  I tried them on again and as you can see in the pictures the gap is bigger than I remembered.

50CCF3F7-23EF-40C8-8820-C58397E7635F.thumb.jpeg.a63aa47b38ec7b4d70b671fa41357415.jpeg

On these Remington 1858 repros, you have to find a maker that will custom fit grips to your guns, and you send them the gun.  "One size fits all" only works with Rugers... even then you'll get some variation.

I’ve heard back from the grip maker, turns out those grips were made for Uberti’s and my guns are Pietta’s.  He said that I could just ship them back and he would make a new set, no hassles, no argument.  I’m happy with the outcome.

39 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I’ve heard back from the grip maker, turns out those grips were made for Uberti’s and my guns are Pietta’s.  He said that I could just ship them back and he would make a new set, no hassles, no argument.  I’m happy with the outcome.

Just don't use USPS.  

Archived