SASS Wire Forum

"PING!" question

Alpo

High power rifle match is 10 rounds. When shooting the match with an M1 you have a special two-round clip. You load the rifle with the two-round clip, shoot those two rounds, and reload with a full eight-round clip to finish the match.

Since the two rounder started life as an eight rounder, and then was cut and modified, does it still PING! when it ejects? Or did the modifications made to it cause it to make a different sound?

But seeing as how it's spring steel, I see no reason why it wouldn't ping.

It gives a good ping. Just a slightly different tone. 

in the interest of trivia from somebody who’s shot a few zillion competition rounds from Garands...

Most Garand shooters don’t use the two round clip. They use a standard clip, place it in the gun, push two rounds into the clip, safely let the bolt go forward with the first round. Shooter ready!

Also, the two round clip is not a modified 8 rounder. They’re stamped from virgin steel and tempered to make them work, and give the satisfying Ping. The tempering on an 8 rounder makes it too expensive to cut and form into a 2 rounder. 

All this talk makes me want to get out my Garand this weekend and make it Ping!

As Charlie Hurley said, you lay the two rounds crossed in the clip and as you slide it into the well, the rounds align and the bolt comes forward chambering the round.  For slow fire stages a modified clip is used that allows a single round to be loaded and the clip does not eject. You have to use a small rod to manually eject the SLED (Single Load Enhancement Device)

Reminds me of the time I visited ol' Hank many, many years ago.

We walked out into his garage/"gun room," and right off I spotted a 5-gallon bucket full of M1 clips.

"Dang, Hank!  Where's ya get all them clips??"

"Why...  I got 'em from Sergeant Major Raymond!"  and proceeded to tell me how Raymond K., a Marine Sergeant Major and brother of an old mutual friend of ours, had been someplace on some base when a young marine walked up to him holding a clip.  He asked "Sergeant Major!  What the heck is this thing I found out in the sagebrush?"  To which the good Sergeant Major responded by declaring it a tragedy that some miscreants years past had evidently littered, and proceeded to dispatch the Marine and his buddies to police the area. 

Hank said that when he last visited he brought him a bucketful. 

"Want some?"  ^_^

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Are modern production clips just as good as the old GI ones?

Define “modern”.

I haven’t seen one that was made since about 1965, except for the 2 rounders. Like I said, they’re not part of my bag. 

20 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

Define “modern”.

I haven’t seen one that was made since about 1965, except for the 2 rounders. Like I said, they’re not part of my bag. 

Aggressive Engineering in Anaheim was making them recently. Don't know if they still are.

On 12/23/2020 at 9:01 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

They do "ping". Just not as "pingie" as an 8 rounder...if that makes any sense. ;)

This, I have several 2 rnd clips and it is a different 'ping'.

OLG 

I recently bought new clips from Sarco. I am not sure where they are made but they are brand new and appear to be just as good as clips I bought nearly 30 years ago. 

35 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I recently bought new clips from Sarco. I am not sure where they are made but they are brand new and appear to be just as good as clips I bought nearly 30 years ago. 

I do believe those are Korean. I have a dozen Korean mags for my carbine.

59 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

I do believe those are Korean. I have a dozen Korean mags for my carbine.

Not sure. They are brand new but there are no markings on them. The tag in the package just said Sarco with a bar code. You could be right. 

I shot DCM/CMP matches for seven years before catching the CAS bug.  Local advice was to shoot 2 and then 8 in 2- and 8-round clips.  2-round clips were always available as loaners for new shooters who did not have them.  

I usually shot my 1988 K-J in .30 Govt or my M1 Carbine.  Either could hold 2.5" at 100 in all shooting positions.

Never used the 2 round clip.....waste of time and money. Use an 8 rounder and slide two rounds into, seat the clip, the the bolt slam forward, fire 2 reload the 8 rounder and you are good to go.

Randy

For years we just crossed two in a regular clip. A few years ago, some CMP  matches required that you close the bolt on an empty chamber.then rack the bolt after you’re in position. The two rounders are easier to do that with. And they do ping 

Archived